Home made Christmas ornaments,

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe that's why my Mom had us string stale popcorn and cranberries. :eek: No one ate anything.

There are many ornaments on my Mom's tree that were made by her children when we were little.

1sapin07.gif

I also remember caroling and live nativity scenes, whichare not something we see much around here anymore.

:nativity:

When the kids were little we made all of our ornaments. We strung 4 popcorns for every cranberry. We made vanilla roll cookies and painted them with egg yolk paint, there were candy canes and caramel popcorn balls. We took an after Christmas picture of the tree every year and watched as the ornaments got chewed off ever higher each year. All the popcorn was chewed off between the cranberries as well. When the kids all got past the munching stage, we made origami, paper stars, baked clay figurines ect.. These ornaments are well worn now and no longer hang on the tree. We take them out and look at them every year on Christmas day.

I also remember making 1"x 5" strips of red and green construction paper. We would glue or tape them into rings and make alternating "chains" to decorate the house with. I think it was busy work to keep us out of Mom's hair.

When I was a child my grandmother and my sisters used to get old newspapers an cut them into strips and painted them different colours and connected them in circles with a mixture of flour and water for glue and made daisy paper chains to decorate the walls and Christmas tree with along with tinsel and old glass ornaments.

I grew up in a family with little money but the making of the daisy chains kept us occupied for days and kept us out of mischief during the school holidays :D .

Last edited:
I also remember making 1"x 5" strips of red and green construction paper. We would glue or tape them into rings and make alternating "chains" to decorate the house with. I think it was busy work to keep us out of Mom's hair.
I still have the chain I made in 1st grade (1960!) Up until a few years ago, it went on the tree every year, but it is starting to get very fragile so now it is in a box of other fragile homemade ornaments that I look at every year but have yet to figure out a way to display them and keep them safe from the cats!

I remember as a kid,

We set around stringing popcorn on a thread to hang on our real Christmas tree,

We also string them red and green spice drops, to hang around the house,

But we kids would eat em.

Jim:Xmastree:
We taught our granddaughters to do this and they called it sewing popcorn. We put it on an outside tree and the deer ate most of it!

My folks still have a "Legs" egg that I decorated in kindergarten or 1st grade??? I think I finally convinced her to keep it in the box and not on the tree. She also had a wreath my brother made w/ nuts on it until critters got in and ate parts of it. We have some much nicer homemade ones now, but those are still in existence. 🤭

Maybe that's why my Mom had us string stale popcorn and cranberries. :eek: No one ate anything.

There are many ornaments on my Mom's tree that were made by her children when we were little.

1sapin07.gif

I also remember caroling and live nativity scenes, whichare not something we see much around here anymore.

:nativity:
That stale popcorn is not so fragile. It is not so likely to split and break when you sew it.

I would like to get a wood lathe and turn various wooden Christmas ornaments
I should hook you up with Dad. He‘s got a lathe that is more suitable for turning pens. I came home to a snowman on my dinner plate. He got himself a new lathe from Grizzly for a Christmas gift to himself.

When I was a kid we used to string popcorn and cranberries with a needle and thread to put on a real tree. Not my favorite job, since I always managed to stab myelf at least once or twice. A real blast from the past, we had ornaments made from hair curlers that came with the Tony's Home Perm kits. They were spray painted gold, and wound together so they looked like stars. My Mother called them Depression ornaments, she made as a child.

Grizzly makes good equipment.
it being delivered today. 50 pounds. I get to try and get it downstairs without falling down said stairs. He’ll be making more of these
IMG_2376.jpeg

His 88 year old eyes didn’t see the cracks. After Christmas I’ll be taking him to Hobby Lobby or Joann‘s for doll clothing buttons.

1703377340236.png

This may not be up to the same calibre as the work you others have done.

Latest posts

Back