Home made goodies for post SHTF or really any time.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A collection of recipes I have found and collected:
Beginner's Homemade Beer Recipe

Obtain a 3 gallon container in which to conduct the primary fermentation. It should be constructed of a material that will not leech out toxic chemicals in the presence of alcohol. It should have a lid to keep bugs from getting in but which will allow carbon dioxide gas to escape. I use a plastic garbage can with a faucet at the bottom and a lid with an airlock at the top (available from beer supply stores).

Pour in about 1.5 lb of hop-flavoured malt extract (most economically obtained at grocery stores). For strong beer, add about 6 cups of sugar. Optionally, add about 2 tsp of fruit acid (if you are making a low alcohol beer, the acid helps retard spoilage - which should not be necessary if you drink it all up as fast as I do). Any fruit acid will do; I have used citric, which is cheap. Lemon juice could be used. Do not use ascorbic acid, it will retard the fermentation. A tsp of di-ammonium-phosphate (yeast nutrient, fertilizer) will speed the fermentation, especially in high-alcohol beers, but is not necessary.

Now, add water, 60-90 degrees Fahrenheit, up to a few inches below the top of your container. Do not fill it too full, or the fermenting mess will come out. Stir it all up thoroughly. If you have a beer hydrometer, (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) check the specific gravity. It should be about 1.06, corrected for temperature. I suggest you buy a floating thermometer so you can correct for temperature. A beer hydrometer will also tell you what the alcohol content will be in the finished brew. The more sugar, the denser the liquid will be now (higher specific gravity) and the more alcohol the yeast will make. Six cups of sugar will give you about 7% alcohol (most commercial beer in the US is about 3.5%). Do not go above 9 or 10%, or you will kill the yeast and end up with a sweet, uncarbonated beverage. Also, do not drink 7% beer like 3.5% beer and don't drive after drinking a pint or more! If using a hydrometer, it is best to start out with less sugar than you think you will need and then adjust the specific gravity by adding more.

Now you are ready to add the yeast. I use dry yeast, available in beermaking supply stores. You could use bread yeast, but I don't recommend it. It gives the beer a yeasty taste and does not stand up to high alcohol contents. If you can't wait to get beer yeast, wild yeast (bound to be there unless you used sterilized ingredients) may do for low alcohol beer. If you have already made beer before, the sediment from the bottom of a freshly opened bottle contains enough yeast to start your new batch. Add the yeast, put the top on the container, place in a warm place (70-90 degrees F), and wait a week or two.

If you have a hydrometer, you may want to monitor the specific gravity. When it drops to 1.005, it is ready to bottle. I let the beer go to draught, when the fermentation (bubbling) stops entirely - no sugar left. At that point, the specific gravity will be a bit below 1.000 (alcohol being less dense than water). I "rack" the beer at this point, that is, siphon (or use faucet) it off of the inch or so of yuck at the bottom of the container. I rack it into a second 3 gallon container with faucet.

At this point, you need to add more sugar for the secondary fermentation, which carbonates the beer (and raises the alcohol content yet more). I use about 10 tbsp sugar. Start with less and check the gravity. You want the gravity to be 1.005. Be sure to correct the gravity for temperature (instructions with the hydrometer will tell you how). DO NOT allow the gravity to exceed 1.005! If there is too much sugar, your bottled beer will EXPLODE, which could be FATAL (I'm not kidding - I've seen exploding bottles drive pieces of glass through wooden cabinets!). Now, bottle the beer (use siphon or faucet). Do not use disposable bottles, they can't stand the pressure and are dangerous. I use one pint returnable soft drink bottles which I collected while they were still in common use. You can buy similar bottles from stores that sell beer making supplies. You need bottle caps and a capper. Alternatively, use the European beer bottles which have reusable caps and don't require a capper. Keep the beer at 70-90 degrees F. in a safe place for a week or so. Then put one bottle in the refrigerator. When cold, give it a try to see if it is adequately carbonated yet. If not, let the rest of the beer ferment in the bottles a few days longer. It yes, move it all into the refrigerator (I got a second refrigerator to hold all of my beer).

When you pour the beer out of the bottle (don't drink from the bottle), do it in one continuous movement. Watch the crud (spent yeast, cream of tartar) at the bottom of the bottle and stop pouring before it comes out. While there are lots of B vitamins in this crud, it looks nasty, does not taste good, and is a mild laxative (generates flatus too). This crud is not in commercial US beer because they artificially carbonate their beer. They also add all sorts of chemicals - detergent to make a head, for example. By the way, soft drinks can still legally contain 0.5 % alcohol, because that is the amount produced during a natural carbonation fermentation, as used to be done by the industry.

Cheap folks who refuse to buy a beer hydrometer can use this alternative method: Put the draught beer (no sugar left, fermentation completely stopped) into bottles and add sugar to the bottles. Use 0.5 to 1 tsp per bottle (12 to 16 oz), or use 0.5 tbsp of a 50% sugar solution (one cup sugar in one cup water). I do not recommend this method, given the great danger of explosion, great frustration of an undercarbonated batch, and cheap price (about $4 and up) of a hydrometer.

Keep your bottles, containers, etc. clean to avoid microorganisms that cause spoilage (you don't want 3 gal. of malt vinegar, do you?). Some folks routinely sterilize equipment with boiling water or chemicals, but I find that unnecessary except after having had a spoilage problem.

There are various laws regulating homemade beer production. An adult can make 100 gal. (200 per household) a year under federal law. I used to register as a wine producer with the Dept. of Firearms, Tobacco, & Alcohol, but I don't bother anymore, the law may not even require that any more. N. C. State law is fuzzy (says you must use native N. C. fruits). In any case, if you keep it at home, don't sell it, and don't give it away to narcs (alchs?, revenuers), you should not get in any trouble.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pipexdsl/q/aqrx09/easyhomebrew/beerrecipes.html

25 volley ball sized heads of cabbage
3 cups of canning salt

1. cut cabbage with gabbage cutter, put about 1&1/2 inches in a 10 gallon crook sprinkle lightly with salt and stomp with a cabbage stomper until juciy with brine. continue this process until the ten gallon crook is full except for about 2 inches. cover with about 1 inch of cabbage leaves, put a stone on top to hold down leaves. I stomp my kraut the first week of oct and let set until new years day then put into jars and colepack it for 2 hrs.

Simple Sauerkraut
2 large heads of cabbage (about 5 pounds)
2 to 3 tbsp noniodized salt

Grate 1 cabbage and place in a crock or plastic bucket. Sprinkle half the salt over the cabbage. Grate the second cabbage, then add it to the crock along with the rest of the salt. Crush the mixture with your hands until liquid comes out of the cabbage freely. Place a plate on top of the cabbage, then a weight on top of the plate. Cover the container and check after 2 days. Scoop the scum off the top, repack and check every 3 days. After 2 weeks, sample the kraut to see if it tastes ready to eat. The flavor will continue to mature for the next several weeks. Canning or refrigerating the sauerkraut will extend its shelf life. Yields about 2 quarts.

HOMEMADE SUMMER SAUSAGE

5 lb. hamburger
5 tsp. (rounded) Morton tender quick salt
2 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
2 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
2 tsp. Hickory smoked salt, dry or liquid

Mix well in a large bowl and refrigerate. Take out each day for 3 days and knead well. On the 4th day, make into rolls, work back and forth well to remove all the air pockets so they will hold their shape. Lay on broiler pan and bake at 350 degrees for 8 hours. Makes 5 loaves about 8 to 9 inches long.

HOMEMADE BOLOGNA SAUSAGE

5 lbs. hamburger (may use venison)
2 1/2 tsp. smoked salt or liquid smoke
2 1/2 tsp. coarse ground pepper
5 tsp. Tender Quick salt
2 tsp. garlic salt
2 1/2 tsp. mustard seed

Mix all ingredients well. Refrigerate 24 hours in covered container. Then mix again and let stand in refrigerator another 24 hours in covered container. Remove and mix again. Form into 5 loaves. Place on broiler pan and bake at 150 degrees for 8 hours. (May also put in loaf pans and bake.) Let cool. Wrap in waxed paper or foil. Refrigerate for 2 days before eating. This should keep for 4 weeks in refrigerator or it can be frozen.

HOMEMADE SAUSAGE

3 lb. hamburger or ground venison
2 tsp. liquid smoke
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. mustard seed
1 c. water
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
3 tbsp. Morton's (Quick Salt) Tender Quick (blue bag)

Mix all ingredients and make into 3 rolls. Wrap in foil. Store in refrigerator for 24 hours. Poke holes in foil to let greased drain out. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Take out of foil and cool. Rewrap in clean foil and refrigerate.

HOMEMADE POLISH SAUSAGE

5 to 15 lbs. ground pork
3 lbs. ground beef
3 tbsp. black pepper
5 tbsp. salt
6 cloves of minced garlic
2 tbsp. dry marjoram
3 tbsp. mustard seed
1 qt. cold water

Mix by hand and allow to stand in refrigerator overnight

Leeners Root Beer Brewery
and Jim's Really Good Root Beer Recipe
This kit is based on the Old Fashioned line of soda extracts. It is up to you the brewer to experiment with different combinations of sugars in order to perfect your own personal recipe. The type and quantity of sugar used will change both the flavor and texture of the finished product. My recipe for Jim's Really Good Root Beer can be used with any of the dark colored soft drinks. Light colored drinks and fruit drinks can be made with the same recipe by changing the dark sugars to white sugar. Any sugar can be used to prepare your sodas. For example I like to use honey in my ginger beer and molasses in sarsaparilla.
For more information, recipes and folk lore on root beer and other soft drinks we highly recommend, Homemade Root Beer Soda and Pop by Cresswell. From soda water to sarsaparilla, you'll find easy instructions for more than 60 traditional soft drink recipes.
Bottling Root Beer and other Soft Drinks
If you are using plastic soda bottles with screw on caps please note that your bottles must be cleaned and sanitized prior to each use. The following chart will help you determine how many bottles you will need per gallon of root beer.
Jim's Really Good Root Beer
Please Note: New plastic PET soda bottles need to be soaked in a solution of Straight A Cleanser prior to being used the first time. Mix 1 tablespoon of Straight A with one gallon of hot water and submerge the bottles. Let them soak over night. Rinse well with hot water. This will remove the new plastic character that these bottles can impart to your root beer.
BOTTLES NEEDED BASED ON BOTTLE SIZE
gallons

12 oz

16 oz

20 oz

1 Liter

Recipe for one gallon. Please read instructions before starting.
# Equipment Mixing Spoon
# 6-8 Quart Sauce Pan
# Kitchen Funnel
# Measuring spoons
# Measuring Cup
# 2-3 gallon Pail
# Unscented Bleach
# A clean one gallon plastic milk jug
# 8-16 oz. PET Beer bottles
# Ingredients 1 Cup White Table Sugar
# 1-1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
# 2 tablespoons Malto Dextrin
# 1 tablespoon Root Beer Extract
# 1/4 teaspoon Champagne Yeast
# 1 Gallon of Cold Water

1. Clean all equipment with soap and water. Rinse very well.
2. Prepare a sanitizing solution in a clean utility pail by mixing 2 teaspoons of unscented bleach with 2 gallons of cold water. Soak all equipment including bottles and caps in this solution for at least 10 minutes. Remove your equipment and rinse it well with hot water.
3. Fill a one gallon container with cold water. Now remove 1 cup of water from the jug and discard it. All of the water required for the recipe is now in the gallon container. Measuring the water in this way will save time and prevent you from adding to much or to little water later.
4. Place 4 cups of water from the container into a sauce pan and begin to heat it. It is not necessary to bring the water to a boil. Heating this small amount of water will help dissolve the sugars and will make a better soft drink.
5. Add the white sugar, brown sugar and malto dextrin to the sauce pan and stir until the sugars are completely dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved turn off the heat.
6. Add 1 tablespoon of Root Beer Extract to the sauce pan and stir it in.
7. Add the remaining water to the sauce pan and stir well. Check the temperature of the mixture by carefully touching the outside of the pan. It should be cool to slightly warm. It may be necessary to allow the pan to sit covered for a short time in order to cool.
8. Open the packet of champagne yeast by cutting off a corner. Measure out 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and add it to the sauce pan. Close the yeast packet by folding over the open corner and sealing it with tape. Store the remaining yeast in the refrigerator for the next batch.
9. Stir the sauce pan until the yeast is completely dissolved. You are now ready to bottle your root beer.

Bottling the Root Beer
Use a kitchen funnel to fill each of the E.Z-Cap bottles first. Pour the root beer into the bottles so that there is about 1-1/4 inch of air space left in the neck of the bottle. Leaving to little air space will cause the root beer to remain flat. Leaving to much air space will cause the root beer to over carbonate and may cause the bottles to gush when opened or even explode. Fill the used plastic soda bottle in the same manner. Seal the bottles tightly and store them for at least 2 weeks at room temperature. This will allow the yeast to eat some of the sugar and carbonate the soft drink. You can check the carbonation by squeezing the plastic soda bottle. When it is hard, the soda is done and must be refrigerated. Allow the bottles to chill for at least 1 week prior to serving. The root beer will improve in flavor with time but it must be stored in the refrigerator.
Notes About Natural Carbonation
The yeast used to carbonate your soft drinks will feed on sugars in the drink and produce carbon dioxide gas and a very small amount of alcohol. You should not be concerned about this alcohol production. There is more natural alcohol in fresh squeezed orange juice than that produced in your soft drink.
If your soft drink becomes over carbonated you can burp the bottles by carefully opening the lid and letting the gas escape. Put the lid back on and place the bottle in the refrigerator. The cold will stop further gas production. You may need to reduce the amount of yeast used in your next batch.
If your soft drink is not carbonated within 2 weeks of bottling you may have added the yeast while the soft drink was to hot. You can open each bottle and carefully add 3 or 4 grains of yeast. Close the bottle and leave them at room temperature for 1 more week. You may need to add more yeast in your next batch but never add more than 1/4 teaspoon of yeast regardless of the size of the batch being made.
You will notice that when a fully carbonates bottle is cooled in the refrigerator, the amount of carbonation is reduced. This is caused by the fact that the colder a liquid is, the more gas it can hold in suspension. Be sure that your plastic test bottle is very, very hard before refrigerating.
KEGGING ROOT BEER & OTHER SOFT DRINKS
The secret to kegging and force carbonating soft drinks is to carbonate most of the water first. This is due to the sugar content which makes it more difficult to carbonate the finished beverage.
See also: HOW TO KEG HOMEBREW and CARE & CLEANING OF KEGS
# PREPARING THE KEG AND WATER Clean and sanitize your keg
# Place three gallons of cold water into the keg
# Seal the keg and pressurize setting your CO2 regulator to 25 pounds
# Shake the keg until you no longer hear gas running from the regulator
# Refrigerate the keg and CO2 for 24 hours
# MAKING THE SYRUP AND EXTRACT Prepare your sugars or sugar substitute with one gallon of water
# Refrigerate mixture until it reached the same temperature as the keg of water
# FINISHING THE SOFT DRINK Remove keg from the refrigerator and disconnect the CO2 gas
# Release the pressure on the keg and open the top
# Carefully, without splashing, pour the sugar mixture into the keg
# Add 1/4 cup of root beer flavor extract (4 Tablespoons)
# Close the keg and reattach the CO2 at 25 pounds of pressure
# Refrigerate under pressure for 24 hours
# TO SERVE Reduce regulator pressure to 5 pounds
# De pressurize the keg
# Attached dispensing line and serve as you would beer

Artisanal Home Soda Fermentation

So let’s get down to making lacto-fermented soda--the real thing. The first step is simply to realize that it is very easy. The minimum equipment is a glass fermentation vessel and the minimum ingredients are sugar, water and the culture. Mix them together and fermentation happens. To make it really delicious, though, some pointers are in order.

Step 1: Bring approximately 50 percent of your water to a boil and dissolve 1.5 cups of sugar in it for each gallon of soda you plan to make. If you are boiling roots in the water (see below), remove them before adding sugar. The sweet, somewhat viscous liquid you have now is called "syrup."

Step 2: Pour the syrup and the remaining water into your fermentation vessel. I like to use the scalding hot syrup to sterilize my vessel, but be careful not to pour it in too fast or it could crack. The resulting diluted syrup is still too hot for the culture. You can either wait, or cool the syrup first by letting the pot sit in a sinkful of cold water before adding it to the vessel.

Step 3: Add any other flavorings, such as lemon juice (see below) to the diluted syrup.

Step 4: Making sure the syrup has cooled to body temperature, add about a cupful of culture for each gallon of water. You could add less culture, but the more you add, the greater the head start your beneficial bacteria have over any opportunistic invaders, such as alcohol-producing yeasts.

Step 5: Cover the vessel (it need not be completely airtight, but it can be) and let it ferment. Fermentation rate is highly variable. If you like a sweeter soda, four or five days might be sufficient. If you want to ferment out most of the sugar, allow at least 10 days. Some additives such as mint and honey tend to inhibit bacteria and drastically slow fermentation.

Step 6: Time to bottle! Brewing supply stores carry siphon tubes to siphon the soda directly from carboy to bottle, but if you are fermenting in a jar you can simply pour it into bottles or scoop it in with a glass measuring cup. You must have some way to seal the bottles, either with a bottle capper or stoppered bottles (both available at brewing supply stores). Do not bottle the thick layer of sediment at the bottom of the fermentation vessel.

Step 7: Carbonation. The soda continues to ferment in the bottles, giving off carbon dioxide gas. Since the bottles are sealed, the gas has nowhere to go. In stays in the bottle and makes the soda fizzy. Depending on how fast it is fermenting, 2-5 days is usually enough time to create the optimum level of carbonation. You can always open a bottle and check.

Step 8: Stopping fermentation. Now we have a problem, because if the soda continues to ferment the bottles will foam over or spray when opened. The bottles might even explode if left out long enough. So when carbonation is sufficient, it is time to stop fermentation by putting the bottles in the refrigerator. Not enough room? A cold basement will work too, slowing down fermentation but not quite stopping it. Usually soda will keep just fine in the basement for a month or more.

Step 9: Drink it! Lacto-fermented soda is an excellent thirst quencher and contains beneficial lactic acid, vitamins, enzymes and beneficial lactobacilli that can inhabit your gut, where they protect you against pathogenic bacteria and yeast

Making cheese at home is a craft whose time has come. With today's technology, communications and new attitudes about doing things creative, it is about where homebrewing was twenty years ago, viz., about to explode.

The cheese in the photo was my first attempt and the best cheese I ever tasted. While it's easy to forget what great cheeses taste like and easy to glorify one's own efforts, the point is, making cheese at home is just another of life's learning processes.

While not a slapdash project nor immune to disasters, simple cheeses are no more difficult to make than bread. Cottage cheese can be made with equipment and raw materials found in any kitchen. More advanced cheeses require some additional equipment and raw materials but it can all be learned by anyone willing to make the effort. I would put it at about the same level of complexity as making beer or wine at home.

BARE BONES

The following recipe represents the ultimate in simplicity in cheese making. It will produce a delicious cottage cheese that resembles ricotta and is excellent fresh or used in cooking Italian dishes such as lasagna. We recommend that beginners start with a cottage cheese to get the feel for the basics and for the instant gratification of being able to enjoy the product immediately.

Ingredients:

1 gallon 2% milk
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt

1. Heat the milk to 190F. You will need a thermometer for other cheeses but you can get by here turning off the heat just before the milk begins to boil.

2. Add the vinegar and allow the mixture to cool.

3. When cool, pour the mixture, (which now consists of curds and whey as in Miss Muffet food) into a colander and drain off the whey.

4. Pour the curds into a bowl and sprinkle on the salt and mix well. You may wish to use less salt or more. It is simply a matter of taste which is the next step. You can add a little cream for a silky texture.

COMMENTS:
What we have just made is really cheese but short circuits the process in several ways. The vinegar provides the acid that causes the milk to curdle and produces the acid flavor. The traditional method of producing the acid is to use a culture of acid producing bacteria. This is more complicated and takes longer but as it is alive, the cheese will continue to improve in flavor with age. This is of little consequence in a cheese made for immediate consumption. More on cultures later.

We have also made small curd cottage cheese because we left out another ingredient called rennet. This is an enzyme the produces a harder curd. It was originally made from calf stomachs but is now synthesized and available in liquid or tablet form. I believe the cottage cheese sold in supermarkets as large and small curd is a fiction because the ingredients on the label for the two products are exactly the same. More on rennet later.

Because both the bacteria and rennet can be destroyed by temperature, the traditional process requires several ripening steps at lower temperatures and a curd cooking step at a higher temperature. Because vinegar is inactive, we went immediately to the cooking stage and saved a lot of time.

Finally, the difference between soft cheese and hard cheese is that the latter requires pressing the drained curds in a cheese press, drying the pressed cheese and then aging for several months.

CHEESE MILK

The most important ingredient in cheese, is of course, the milk. Cheese can be made from just about any kind of milk including, cow, goat, sheep, mare and camels. It is the lucky home cheesemaker who even has access to fresh cow's milk, let alone the other exotic types. We will presume that the cheesemaker is limited to what can be purchased in the local supermarket. If fresh milk is available, consider yourself lucky and proceed in the same manner.

There are two characteristics of commercial milk that conspire to make life difficult for the cheesemaker. First of all, it is Pasteurized and the native flora and fauna are killed. This is not necessarily bad but simply puts a limit on the ultimate flavor potential of the cheese. However, this limit we can live with and as mentioned elsewhere, is a good compromise in favor of safety.

The really serious problem with store milk is that it is homogenized. This is a process that breaks up the fat globules to such a small size that they are forever in suspension and never again separate as in fresh milk. The bad news is that it does something else to the fat that interferes with making good quality cheese. The effect is to produce a wax-like texture that sticks to the teeth and hinders flavor development. The fix is to use the lowest fat milk available and replace the needed fat with whipping cream. Although the whipping cream is also homogenized, the fat to casein ratio seems to prevent the fat from producing the texture defect.

I have experimented with various milks and have actually achieved the best results using powdered skim milk combined with whipping cream. Following the directions on the box and adding 1 pint cream per gallon of milk produces a cheese as good or better than by using fresh whole milk. All the procedures which follow can and should be made using this milk. The only cheese that seems to actually perform better with homo milk is Stilton.

For more info and the latest developments in my quest for the perfect CHEESE MILK

CHEESE STARTER

Starter is to cheese what yeast is to wine and beer. It is a living colony of microscopic organisms that give the cheese its characteristic flavor. One basic difference is that yeast is a fungus and cheese starter is usually a bacterium. However, that's not to say that fungi have no place in cheese. The blue stuff in blue cheese, for example, is a fungus.

Fresh whole milk contains the necessary bacteria to produce cheese but for several reasons, it is best to use a prepared starter and not trust to chance. Fresh milk contains lots of other flora and fauna that may or may not be useful to cheese making or even dangerous to life. It is best practice to Pasturize the milk to kill everything and inoculate it with a known culture of the proper organism. When using supermarket milk, we have no choice as it will have been Pasteurized.

Wine makers are in exactly the same position. Every grape comes with the natural yeast to produce the natural wine but rather than risk a batch to whatever else might be lurking on the grape, the must is treated to inhibit all natural organisms and is then inoculated with a yeast culture. Not doing this is precisely why home made wine has such a bad reputation. It's either great or undrinkable.

Many recipes and books suggest using cultured buttermilk as a starter and if one is anxious to get started, it is readily available. However, one can never be sure just what the culture is and a real cheese starter is more likely to produce high quality cheese.

The entry level cheeser should purchase what is known as a mesophilic starter from any supplier of cheese making supplies. A search of the web will provide several sources. This comes as a dried powder in a small packet like yeast. The most convenient form is what is known as DVI or Direct Vat Innoculation. This is added directly to the milk and no pre-culturing is required.
SANITATION

I must digress here to a subject of utmost importance to the making of any fermented product. Simply put, sanitation is everything. From the end of Pasteurization till eating, nothing should be allowed to contact the cheese that has not been properly sanitized. Beginners should take this advice to the extreme and old time fermenters know what corners can be cut. Anything that can, should have water boiled in it or vice versa. If it can't be boiled, it should be soaked in a bleach solution of about 1 oz per gal of water. This stuff must be rinsed ad nauseam to get rid of the bleach so the advantage of stainless is manifest. Tools and other small stainless items can be simply passed through the flame of a stove.

BACK TO THE STARTER

If you choose to use a culturable starter, use the following procedure. If you use DVI culture, you can skip this section.

Prepare the starter as follows:

Boil half a cup of water in a covered saucepan for about 5 minutes to sanitize it. Pour out the water and pour in 2 cups of any kind of milk. Bring this to near boil and turn off the heat. It is now Pasteurized, the quick way. When the bottom of the pan is cool to the touch (room temp) add the starter from the packet and stir with a sanitized spoon. Stir again in a few hours and set aside for about 24 hours or until the mixture has the consistency of very soft yogurt. At this point, stir again with sanitized spoon and pour into a sanitized ice cube tray and freeze. As soon as it is frozen, put the cubes into a sanitized zip lock bag and store in the freezer.

The day before you plan to make cheese, drop a cube into a cup of milk prepared the same as above and the next day you will have a cup of starter ready for your recipe. The amount required is usually specified in the recipe but it is always less than a cup.

RENNET

The next item needed for serious cheese is an enzyme called rennet and not much more needs to be said about it other than how it is prepared. It is available from the same suppliers as the starter. The tablet form seems to be the beginner's choice but the liquid is much simpler to use. To prepare the tablet form, dissolve the specified amount in sterile water about an hour before it is needed. I bring a 1/4 cup water to a boil in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave and let it cool to room temp. Then I drop in the tablet and let it dissolve. I help it along with a sanitized spoon. This is poured into the cheese at the appropriate time. The liquid form is simply measured out according to the recipe. One tablet is equivalent to two tsp of the liquid form.

A SIMPLE "HARD" CHEESE

The next step in our learning process is to make a cheese that lies somewhere between a hard cheddar and a soft cottage cheese, in both end product and ease of making. It actually is what is called "cheese curds" in most supermarkets. It is hard enough for eating as finger food but does not requre the use of a cheese press. Furthermore, it can be eaten the same day it is made.

Ingredients
2 gal milk (pwd milk + 2 pints cream)
1/2 renet tablet
1/4 cup prepared mesophylic starter

Pasturize milk for 30 min at 143F
Cool to 86F
Add 1/4 cup of prepared mesophylic starter
Ripen for 60 min at 86F
Add 1/2 rennet tab disolved in 1/4 cup water, stir for one min then cover.
Hold at 86F for 60 min
CUT THE CURD

This requires another digression as we skipped this step in our cottage cheese. Cutting the curd is done by slicing through the curd with a knife long enough to reach the bottom. Start anywhere near the edge of the kettle and make slices about one inch apart all the way across to the other side. Then do the same at right angles. You now have 1 inch "cubes" as long as your kettle is deep. Now slant your knife at about 45 degrees, starting at any edge and work your way across the kettle from several different sides. You should end up with lots of small pieces of curd. At someone's suggestion, I tried a long French whisk instead of the knife and found it to work like a charm. I simply press it to the bottom, give it a half turn, lift it and move to another location. Makes very nice small curds.

The purpose of cutting the curd is to begin the water/whey removal process by increasing the surface area of the curds. Under controlled conditions, it also determines how much acid is produced by controlling the amount of lactose that is allowed to convert to acid.

The byword here and in all further stirring and handling of the curd is gentle. Rough treatment will destroy the adhesion of the curds and produce a mess.

After cutting the curd:

Heat very slowly to 102F, stirring gently to distribute the heat
Hold at 102F for one hour, stirring occasionally to keep the curds separated
Pour into cheesecloth lined collinder and drain for about 30 minutes
Return matted curds to kettle and break into bite-sized pieces
Sprinkle on 1 3/4 tbs of salt and mix thoroughly

Place in shallow bowl lined with paper towell and air dry for a day or two,
stiring occasionally and replacing the paper towell as necessary.

We have just made "CHEESE CURDS" which can be eaten at any time and will keep for about two weeks in the refridgerator.

If you would like to go on and make a hard cheese (press required),
continue as follows:

Pour curds into cheesecloth lined mold and fold excess cheese cloth over the top of
the cheese and add the follower. Start pressing at about 10 lbs for 30 min, increase to
30 for about 60 min. Flip the cheese/mold and press at 30 for another 60 min.

Remove the cheese from the press and carefully remove the cheese cloth.

Next we "dress" the cheese with a cheese cloth bandage of one circumference plus a
bit of overlap. The width of the bandage is about 3 inches wider than the height of the cheese.
This is wrapped around the cheese and the edges neatly folded over the top and bottom.

Return the bandaged cheese to the press and press at 50 lbs for 16 hrs. The cheese should be
flipped several times over this period to even out the pressing.

Remove from press, carefully peel off cheesecloth and air dry for several days
until it is dry to the touch and a rind has formed.

Wax and age at 55F for a min of 30 days.

Latest posts

Back