Home made remedies for pets!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumpy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Veterinarian visits are outrageously expensive, and so is the medication. I thought this would be a good place to for us to trade home remedies for everyday problems.
I'll even start! (of course) I'm pretty sure my Heeler has ear mites. What would y'all recommend to treat him? How bout worms. He doesn't have them but I'd like to prevent them or be able to treat him when/if he does need treated.
I like a happy healthy dog.
anidog6.GIF

Nobody can believe how old this large dog we have is. But the vet who also didn't believe her age when I mentioned it was reminded he has it on record and he gave her to us. He looked back several pages and said " whatever your doing keep doing it".
She has never in her 17 years had ear mite treatment but like our equine vet said she only uses Apple Cider Vinegar in her dogs and cats ears.
First I clean the ears with Qtips being careful not to push the mites deeper into ear canal I then take soaking wet cotton ball and drench the ears with it then hold it in for a couple minutes. Turn an very upset dog loose to go and rub,shake and go nuts fro awhile.
This is all we have done for our dogs for at least 20 years. We;ve had about 10 dogs in that time.
She also stopped getting shots at 14 yr old, except rabies only because of laws. We do use vet wormer though .

I have a book “The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable”. It was written by Juliette de Baircli Levy in 1954. It is still available on Amazon as well as another of her books “Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat”.

Mrs. Levy was a world-renowned pioneer in Holistic Veterinary Medicine and an Herbalist. I actually know someone who studied with her many years ago.

Ear mites? That’s an easy one, do you have a black walnut tree nearby? Pile an arm load of leaves where your dog sleeps.

My grandpa learned a rhyme as a child.

For happy dogs in summer

You have to start in May

Put the leaves of the Walnut

Where the dogs lay!

It keeps fleas, ticks and mites off you dogs. I put them in my nest boxes once when my chickens got mites, worked like a charm. There are two more plants that will work, Dog fennel and Beauty Berry. ;)

Nobody can believe how old this large dog we have is. But the vet who also didn't believe her age when I mentioned it was reminded he has it on record and he gave her to us. He looked back several pages and said " whatever your doing keep doing it".
She has never in her 17 years had ear mite treatment but like our equine vet said she only uses Apple Cider Vinegar in her dogs and cats ears.
First I clean the ears with Qtips being careful not to push the mites deeper into ear canal I then take soaking wet cotton ball and drench the ears with it then hold it in for a couple minutes. Turn an very upset dog loose to go and rub,shake and go nuts fro awhile.
This is all we have done for our dogs for at least 20 years. We;ve had about 10 dogs in that time.
She also stopped getting shots at 14 yr old, except rabies only because of laws. We do use vet wormer though .
Do you use the Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mothers in it? I take a big spoonful of that every day myself. Come to think about it, I don't have any ear mites either!

I have a book “The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable”. It was written by Juliette de Baircli Levy in 1954. It is still available on Amazon as well as another of her books “Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat”.

Mrs. Levy was a world-renowned pioneer in Holistic Veterinary Medicine and an Herbalist. I actually know someone who studied with her many years ago.

Ear mites? That’s an easy one, do you have a black walnut tree nearby? Pile an arm load of leaves where your dog sleeps.

For happy dogs in summer

You have to start in May

Where the dogs lay!

It keeps fleas, ticks and mites off you dogs. I put them in my nest boxes once when my chickens got mites, worked like a charm. There are two more plants that will work, Dog fennel and Beauty Berry. ;)
Sounds easy enough. I'll try it as soon as I can get some leaves. Lol

Do you use the Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mothers in it? I take a big spoonful of that every day myself. Come to think about it, I don't have any ear mites either!

Sounds easy enough. I'll try it as soon as I can get some leaves. Lol

We've always used the regular WhiteHouse [ lol ] Apple Cider amber one. It seems to be a lot stronger than the organic ones.

For happy dogs in summer

You have to start in May

Where the dogs lay!

No walnut trees but we have Beauty Berry bushes.

We buy cedar shavings from Tractor Supply or feed store and keep them in doghouse and that helps but will try the leaves of BB bush. They still get fleas so thanks fro remedy.

@gumpy do you know where to get food grade diatomaceous earth? If not I can mail you a couple of pounds. I keep it around for worms and if my dog suddenly gets a bad infestation of fleas. It'll work on mites also. I dust a critter with it or add it to their food if they get worms. It's good to keep DE around. I've used it to dust for insects in the garden.

@gumpy do you know where to get food grade diatomaceous earth? If not I can mail you a couple of pounds. I keep it around for worms and if my dog suddenly gets a bad infestation of fleas. It'll work on mites also. I dust a critter with it or add it to their food if they get worms. It's good to keep DE around. I've used it to dust for insects in the garden.

My daughter also takes that DE she is into all that cleansing stuff. We used it on our chickens too. Wear a dust mask, it is not good to breath.

No walnut trees but we have Beauty Berry bushes.

We buy cedar shavings from Tractor Supply or feed store and keep them in doghouse and that helps but will try the leaves of BB bush. They still get fleas so thanks fro remedy.

I put several shovel fulls of cedar saw dust and change it out about every other month in Otie's dog house. I'd heard it was a good flea and tick repellant also.
His doghouse is made of fresh cut cedar also.

IMG_20180115_153542.jpg

@gumpy do you know where to get food grade diatomaceous earth? If not I can mail you a couple of pounds. I keep it around for . worms and if my dog suddenly gets a bad infestation of fleas. It'll work on mites also. I dust a critter with it or add it to their food if they get worms. It's good to keep DE around. I've used it to dust for insects in the garden.
I don't know about "food grade" but I can get it and know how to handle it. You definitely don't want to breath it @Meerkat ! You should look at it under a microscope. All kinds of sharp points on them.

If you burn damp cedar branches slowly like in a smudge pot the smoke would drive insects out of his dog house but thats about it. Cedar shavings? not so much... :( of course burning just about anything in a smudge pot would drive insects out of his house. ;)

If you want to use DE as a wormer it has to be food grade. I buy food grade DE in 50lb bags from a guy in Texas.

Applied the Apple Cider Vinegar to Oties ear as suggested and he's cured. Thanks for all the replies.
Anyone else have a pet problem that you'd like to ask about?

But in the end "if" needed I call my vet, which likes herbs and EO within his practice.
I just wish I could find a vet like that. (It really shouldn't be so hard, but they look at me like I have two heads...)

Applied the Apple Cider Vinegar to Oties ear as suggested and he's cured. Thanks for all the replies.
Anyone else have a pet problem that you'd like to ask about?
Yay for Otie!

Camo, my friend used that on her dog with skin problems.

Sometimes the remedies don't work so we have to use antibiotics and steroids on one of ours. We hate to do it but she would cla herself into major infection and lose all her hair.
Far as other treatments we use aspirin on our old dog for pain like we did all our dogs and they all lived very long lives. I think inflammation is the cause of lots of ailments. And of course tried and true vinegar for ear .
Aloe Vera works on skin as does coconut oil in some cases.

Apple Cider Vinegar added to water helps keep flies off dogs.

Not sure if you would consider this a natural remedy but it is homemade. . . I'll add a little bleach to the goats water to help keep down the worm population. Not much, probably about a quarter cup to 15 gallons of water.

When we found our dog Buddy, before we could take him in for shots, he developed Parvo. Got him to another vet who had an opening. He put him on IVs but really didn't think he would pull thru. Was talking with a neighbor. He suggested a few drops of bleach in water and syring it down his throat. I went to visit Buddy everyday at the vets office and hid that pint size jar. After about 3 days he started showing signs of improvement. Vet couldn't believe our Bud man pulled thru. Not sure which one did the trick or if it was a combination. Just glad he is still with us.

Would the apple cider vinegar work on earmites for cat's too?? I don't see what it wouldn't but better safe than sorry, But does anyone know what I can do for my kittens who's eyes keep getting mattered shut

Would the apple cider vinegar work on earmites for cat's too?? I don't see what it wouldn't but better safe than sorry, But does anyone know what I can do for my kittens who's eyes keep getting mattered shut

White vinegar is used as a cat repellent for furniture. They say acv is good for cats in tiny doses. If it gets rid of mites, why not? I'd try it. The cat may not be happy about it though! 😁

A kitten with runny eyes usually has a respiratory issue, like a virus. But it can also indicate more serious problems. Healthy otherwise? or a runt?

Do you have any catnip growing in your yard (mint family)? The fresh plant is a very gentle antiviral, in fact used often for toddlers and small kids. Crush a leaf and put it in the kittens water. If not catnip I'm sure you have other wild mints growing by your house.

Curious, you have a lot of critters? I put a great book in the library if you have pets and livestock. Written long ago by a lady in england, very famous in the natural medicine world and a dvm. Her name is Juliette de Bairachi Levy, her books are still in print. Can get them from amerzit. I have 'the complete herbal handbook for farm and stable' written in 1954. It's as useful today as it was back then. If you only have pets... she wrote one book just for dogs and cats.

For holding medicines on a pet they won't lick off I tried Preparation H. a couple years ago. Don’t know why I didn’t think of it sooner, been doctoring critters since I was a kid. It works great, I've used it a couple of times since the thread below... it's medicine in its own right, reduces inflammation...

Prep H… It's two active ingredients are Phenylephrine hcl and witch hazel. Its inactive ingredients include Aloe barbadensis or Aloe Vera and Vitamin E

Phenylephrine hcl is a decongestant used in Sudafed. It’s used for the temporary relief of stuffy nose, sinus, and ear symptoms caused by the common cold, flu, allergies, or other breathing illnesses (e.g., sinusitis, bronchitis).

Witch hazel (aka Hamamelis virginiana) It's most famous for being a potent astringent, a drying agent. It also helps relieve pain from toothaches or teething in infants, prevent infection after oral surgery, and fight bleeding and inflammation from mouth sores. It also relieves topical burning and itching

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/help-ear-hematoma.11921/

I think imma try the acv I have one cat that has them bad. The kittens are healthy as far as I know, they're almost a month old and they've been having bas eye matter the last few days, my Mama swore by plain boric acid (not the kind made for roaches) as an eye wash for humans and animals. And at the moment I have 4 adult cats and 3 kittens lol

Regarding worming pets, I've used two different methods over the years with my sled dog kennel.
The first is a tincture I made out of apple cider vinegar and black walnut hulls. Slice walnut hulls off when still green (very messy) and put in a jar with apple cider vinegar and let stand for a few weeks. Give it a shake every day.

Give 1 cc of liquid (very bitter, they will resist), squirted into the back of their throat. Follow with ground kitchen cloves and a capsule of wormwood (the bark from the blue artemisia bush, if I remember right). Not too much wormwood though. I was told that it's hallucinogenic. You don't want a hallucinating dog.
I've seen a preperation like this intended for people in health food stores.
Also, do not use this for horses. To horses, black walnut is poisonous.

The second method is pomegranates. They have a drug in them called pelletierene (sp?). It will stun a tapeworm so bad that they can't hang on to anything and the dog will pass the tapeworms. Note, it does not kill the tapeworms though, so you have to watch your dog closely and pick up after them otherwise they'll just eat their poop and be infested again. I know, yuck.

The only home remedy that I know for pets is for diarrhea. Our big girl had a pretty severe & long lasting case of diarrhea. Medications didn't help so the vet suggested giving her pumpkin (like you get at the store in a can) in every meal. Two days later it was under control & we gave it to her for a long time so it never came back.

Latest posts

Back