HomeBioGas article

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
OH YES! Now I can cut some teeth on this one! A two cycle lawnmower motor can be made to run on methane with enough power to run a pump which compresses it into tanks.

Be careful with pressurized methane. Above 10 psi the gas can spontaneously ignite! 3 psi is enough pressure for any household use
You should use a "buffered" tank to store pressurized methane. More often than not methane tanks are filled with a wood pulp "sponge" as the buffer material. An acetylene tank is built the same way so you can get prepped tanks at welding supply company stores.

Be careful with pressurized methane. Above 10 psi the gas can spontaneously ignite! 3 psi is enough pressure for any household use
You should use a "buffered" tank to store pressurized methane. More often than not methane tanks are filled with a wood pulp "sponge" as the buffer material. An acetylene tank is built the same way so you can get prepped tanks at welding supply company stores.
Important info that most people don't know unless they happen to tap on it with a wrench and notice it doesn't go 'ding'.
Acetylene is unstable in its free state at pressures above about 15 psi or so. Therefore, it is dissolved in acetone to make it stable at the pressures encountered in a welding cylinder. The cylinder is full of a porous material which absorbs the acetone/acetylene solution. The gaseous acetylene is drawn off the top of the cylinder.
OH YES! Now I can cut some teeth on this one! A two cycle lawnmower motor can be made to run on methane with enough power to run a pump which compresses it into tanks.
Quick question: Since 2-cycle engines run on a mixture of gas and oil, how do you mix oil with methane gas?:dunno:

Important info that most people don't know unless they happen to tap on it with a wrench and notice it doesn't go 'ding'.

Quick question: Since 2-cycle engines run on a mixture of gas and oil, how do you mix oil with methane gas?:dunno:

I would think with an injector like new 2 stroke stuff uses for adjusting mix levels for throttle position.

I would think with an injector like new 2 stroke stuff uses for adjusting mix levels for throttle position.
Only one I ever had was a Vespa scooter with 'oil injection'.
Don't think they are on lawnmowers. :rolleyes:

Only one I ever had was a Vespa scooter with 'oil injection'.
Don't think they are on lawnmowers. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't know I never ONCE allowed a 2 stroke mower in my shop while I had it. Everyone I've ever seen smoked like a coal burning freight train pulling a long grade. My breathing will not tolerate that so I simply said no. I had enough trouble with regular gas & diesel engines. I did work on chainsaws and weed eaters but they don't come close to smoking as bad as the few 2 stroke lawnmowers I've seen in action.

Latest posts

Back