Homeschooling resources.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was home-schooled. I was reading and comprehending at a college level in 1st grade. I was taught using:
Encyclopedia Britannica.
the bible.
Various 1950's textbooks.
and comic books! very little Sesame Street or Electric company, and LOTS of science/historical books.

I'd avoid any modern books unless you're explaining the news of the day.
https://www.prodigygame.com/main-en/blog/homeschooling-resources/

To get my footing in homeschooling I started myself out with a book by the late John Gatto, I think it was called Dumbing Us Down. Another book, I think the author was Mickey Colfax. Both authors had been in the NYC school system, or maybe Colfax was in Boston. At any rate, just eye opening examples.
I’ll check my info later.
Susan Wise Bauer, author, The Well Trained Mind. Full of educational resource suggestions, she was homeschooled, is a professor at William & Mary, homeschooled her kids.
I mostly didn’t like using religious materials to teach the academic subjects. If we’re studying religion then we’re studying religion. Not math with a side order of Genesis shoved down their throats.
Also I found too many errors in boxed religious curricula.
It is possible for any parent to teach their child to read, even kids with dyslexia or slower learning difficulties.

Micki & David Colfax, authors of Homeschooling for Excellence and Hard Times in Paradise. The second book is described on Amazon as "An account of one family's life in a redwood forest describes how the Colfax's lived without electricity, running water, or a phone, and how they educated their sons, three of whom were accepted to Harvard on full scholarships." They moved from New England to California and raised goats. LOL
John Taylor Gatto, author of How Children Fail and later How Children Learn, earned Teacher of the Year award in NY more than once, then he snapped out of it and left the school system.

Latest posts

Back