Homestead journey

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Wingnut great thoughts.
We have a fake grass patch outside our RV with some camper chairs set up and our pyro cook stove in front of it.
Working on getting other areas developed, but priority right now is the root cellar and the quonset hut so we can save on storage fees!

IMG_4839.jpeg
IMG_4839.jpeg
IMG_4840.jpeg

Progress today. Got some insulation up too, but wrong size metal screws so that set us back today.
IMG_4841.jpeg

Last edited:
When we first moved on to this property I bought a new 35' travel trailer to live in. Supposedly it was a 4 season trailer. I spent all winter trying to keep the water, sewer lines and toilet thawed out. During summer the AC was way inadequate. I couldn't sell that miserable POS fast enough. As soon as the fur shed was finished we moved in to it while the house was being built. I installed a wood stove first thing, then a window AC for summer. It was pretty comfortable.
How big is your fur shed and does it have a bathroom too? We’ve thought about throwing a small room up for that exact reason.

My uncle built a new house. The family of 4 lived in a pick up camper until he got a 2 car garage built then moved into that while he built his house.
It worked out OK for them but the did have a problem with a black bear that liked the garage so they would have to make sure it was gone before going out. My uncle solved that problem by making bear sausage.

I have never seen a 4 season RV that you could actually live in in the winter.

Nice plans... reminds me. For several years I grew hay in this field. The owner built a small cabin very similar to your design. Had a couple rooms upstairs, 2 dormers on the front. Metal roof. I loved the house place, thought it'd be a great place to live. Sorry, don't have a close up pic of the cabin. That's it in the distance, had several apple and pear trees in the yard.

He gave me the hay just to keep the field cleaned up, grew some great hay there for almost 20yrs. He always wanted me to leave the rolls of hay in the field a few extra days. He liked the view from his porch. Looked great from the road too.

Bunc 01 ( 1)a.jpg

Last edited:
How big is your fur shed and does it have a bathroom too? We’ve thought about throwing a small room up for that exact reason.
The fur shed is 16×20 with a 6×8 add on for the shower, sink, water heater, on demand pump and water storage tank. It has a covered front porch and a deck on the side. I built an outhouse behind the building.
The 6x8 section that had the shower in it is now my lure room. I kept the sink for washing up in, but took out the shower, water heater, pump etc.

My uncle built a new house. The family of 4 lived in a pick up camper until he got a 2 car garage built then moved into that while he built his house.
It worked out OK for them but the did have a problem with a black bear that liked the garage so they would have to make sure it was gone before going out. My uncle solved that problem by making bear sausage.

I have never seen a 4 season RV that you could actually live in in the winter.
We lived in ours last winter but man it was cold and the door froze shut on more than one occasion 😂
@Peanut gorgeous field- there is a farmer here who cuts the grass in our wetlands area and bundles it like that. I love when they leave the bales around for awhile too.

Here's my fur shed. We lived in it for about 2 years while the house was being built. Pic was taken sometime in early April.
That’s a great shed and wow that much snow in early April! We still had a bit lingering this year but not that much.
I’m hoping to get the foundation in for the small cabin before winter and also the culvert in for the driveway. County still dragging their feet on the culvert.

That’s a great shed and wow that much snow in early April! We still had a bit lingering this year but not that much.
I’m hoping to get the foundation in for the small cabin before winter and also the culvert in for the driveway. County still dragging their feet on the culvert.
A lot of the snow had already melted by the time I took that picture.
The foundation for the fur shed is 6×6 posts set about 3' deep, 6' - 8' apart and cemented. It was much easier and cheaper to build. Just to get a cement truck out here costs $200 not counting the cement, plus the cost of excavation and the forms.

A lot of the snow had already melted by the time I took that picture.
The foundation for the fur shed is 6×6 posts set about 3' deep, 6' - 8' apart and cemented. It was much easier and cheaper to build. Just to get a cement truck out here costs $200 not counting the cement, plus the cost of excavation and the forms.
Yeah we were going to do post foundation. We have the forms and a small cement mixer out here to do it. Not sure a cement truck will make it out here on our road.
Should be an adventure!

Got the root cellar done. I've been picking up extra shifts, so hubs working without me.

He put the beams in wrong on our solar racks, so we had to reinforce those this week. Should be pouring concrete for the foundation for the cabin this weekend when I get back from Eugene. Our son was out helping so that made things so much faster. Its nice having a strong, 6'2" 22 year old out to help!

I could come help you guys with the wine rack....
Come help us drink some so we don’t need the bigger one 😄
We ended up buying one as the hubs has more things to do to get the cabin ready and it would’ve taken too long to build. Should get here Monday and will assemble it and secure it to the wall.

Come help us drink some so we don’t need the bigger one 😄
We ended up buying one as the hubs has more things to do to get the cabin ready and it would’ve taken too long to build. Should get here Monday and will assemble it and secure it to the wall.
You should have a party to make sure all the bottles fit :)

Got the auger for the bobcat this morning; paid for one day but get to keep it through Tuesday (thanks holiday weekend)!
We were able to get 6 sonotubes in, still have 8 more to go.
Should be picking up culverts in town Tuesday and need to get the darned dump truck fixed so we can haul some gravel.

IMG_5021.jpeg
IMG_5020.jpeg

Got the auger for the bobcat this morning; paid for one day but get to keep it through Tuesday (thanks holiday weekend)!
We were able to get 6 sonotubes in, still have 8 more to go.
Should be picking up culverts in town Tuesday and need to get the darned dump truck fixed so we can haul some gravel.

View attachment 115345View attachment 115346
Looks like beautiful working weather!! ♥️

Latest posts

Back