Homesteaders in south central Colorado

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are more likely to get potatoes from the San Luis Valley.
You are SO right! My father in law works at Mountain King, so I can get 20 lb free potatoes weekly from him. Which is nice, cuz I don't have to use space in my garden bed for potatoes! My husband works at Coors elevator facility, too, so we get free barley from them, so feeding pigs is way more affordable, too! Now, to be able to find many things to do with 20lb potatoes weekly (I get overwhelmed with the potatoes sometimes) and to figure out how to successfully raise a healthy pig. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Keep learning every day, every year.

You are SO right! My father in law works at Mountain King, so I can get 20 lb free potatoes weekly from him. Which is nice, cuz I don't have to use space in my garden bed for potatoes! My husband works at Coors elevator facility, too, so we get free barley from them, so feeding pigs is way more affordable, too! Now, to be able to find many things to do with 20lb potatoes weekly (I get overwhelmed with the potatoes sometimes) and to figure out how to successfully raise a healthy pig. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Keep learning every day, every year.
Potatoes are great, but that is a lot to keep processing. At a certain point in time, you have too many. For us, one week's worth of 20 pounds would be too many.

Do you have a dehydrator? Daughter is dehydrating them and other stuff for camping. I understand that canning them changes the flavor a little, but I have never canned them. I have purchased canned potatoes a couple times, but it is so long ago, I don't remember how we liked them, except that we didn't buy them again.

Reactions: Neb
Potatoes are great, but that is a lot to keep processing. At a certain point in time, you have too many. For us, one week's worth of 20 pounds would be too many.

Do you have a dehydrator? Daughter is dehydrating them and other stuff for camping. I understand that canning them changes the flavor a little, but I have never canned them. I have purchased canned potatoes a couple times, but it is so long ago, I don't remember how we liked them, except that we didn't buy them again.
I haven't tried dehydrating them yet 🤔 that's a thought! I have not canned potatoes personally, but I'm not crazy about store bought canned potatoes. I have a meat slicer and tend to slice and fry them for potato chips for lunches for my husband and father in law, but have struggled to have the motivation to do that the last 2 weeks. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I have, in the past, parboiled them and turned them into hashbrowns and frozen them, but I seem to be the only one using them from the freezer. My father in law will sometimes give me a break and not bring some home for a couple weeks, so that's helpful, too! Lol, but I love getting fresh out of the ground ones during harvest time, so I make it a point to find something to do with them then.

Welcome from Iowa!

I've spent some time working in Colorado, both on the front slope and along the Colorado River around Kremmling and Bond. I wasn't so fond of Pueblo and Colorado Springs, but I sure liked Little Gore Canyon! I'll go back someday, hopefully not for work..

Latest posts

Back