Hot enough for ya?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clipper

Dirty White Boy
Neighbor
Damn, the sun is burning me up and I'm inside my ACed room. Going outside was worse. 105F was the highest so far.

How's your Summer?

A cool breeze is blowing across the deck here in the Glen...as I sit here with my coffee.

Hummingbirds are buzzin' 'round too...the babies are testing their wings.

aO4RKky.jpg

Damn, the sun is burning me up and I'm inside my ACed room. Going outside was worse. 105F was the highest so far.

How's your Summer?
85-95 every single day for 2 months straight. Heat-index 100-105. I'm down to working about 4 hours a day now on final-approach to retirement.
Enjoying the bucks I spent years ago on a capable, efficient, central-unit. It never gets above 75 inside and power bill's $150-$160.
...going to hate to leave it in September:oops:.

Enjoying the bucks I spent years ago on a capable, efficient, central-unit. It never gets above 75 inside and power bill's $150-$160.
...going to hate to leave it in September:oops:.
The "Bitch-in-Heat":
IMG_2408_10.JPG

Some will say, I got 'Rheemed':D.
I been reaming the power company for 8 years as my neighbors struggle to keep theirs below $300.
nod.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I guess it’s time to get my ass whoopin from y’all...
I LOVE SUMMER! Yeah baby, bring it on. The hotter the better. I can’t stand anything below 70.
C’mon all you haters, bring it. I can take it...
mosh.gif

Okay I guess it’s time to get my ass whoopin from y’all...
I LOVE SUMMER! Yeah baby, bring it on. The hotter the better. I can’t stand anything below 70.
C’mon all you haters, bring it. I can take it...
mosh.gif

Thank goodness I'm not the only one living in the closet:rolleyes:.
I hate cold weather.
Really really bad.
You're right, anything below 70 sucks. The further below, even more.
My arthritic joints hurt twice as much when it's cold and I can't exercise enough to thaw them out:bang Head:.
Now, when it's 'comfortable' outside, like 85+ and I get me a good sweat going, joint pain drops to less than 1/2 normal.
The more I sweat (shirt sticking to body, underwear like I pee'd my pants), the less pain I feel.

I'll probably be the only happy bastard walking around in hell saying: "At least it ain't cold!!!":green man:

I think I was supposed to be a Jamaican (still could be after I retire:rolleyes:).
It's like this year-round. Notice the breeze:
JamaicaWeather'jpg.JPG

I've been there. It is perfect!

Where's our haters? [donning flame-suit with Taz]
I'll help: 'man-boob sweat'?
That one drop of sweat that runs all the way down your back thru the butkrak to your knutsak?
Sweat off of your brow falling on your glasses when you are looking down and you can't see anything?
Being surprised that the fender of your black car CAN actually reach 185°F and first-degree burn you?
Working on your car in the driveway and set a wrench down for 5 minutes and it's too hot to pick up?
Or god-forbid, you live in California and keep seeing a crazy guy running around in the flames saying: "At least it ain't cold!!!":green man:
If that's not enough, I do believe in Global-Climate-Change, (man-made, not so much) just as sure as there have been ice-ages, there's a flip-side:eek:.
They don't talk much about that. And the flip-side.... it be real HOT!
Think of all the guys that suffer heart attacks shoveling snow every year.....thousands of lives will be saved. <----(liberal spin)
I guess that will balance out the deaths from melanoma (skin-cancer from sunburn).

Black people will rule the world once again.

Well...that and the boxed toilet in the garage Jerry !!

:sicko:

Well actually there's a lot more than that,like reroofing the garage,painting the house roof, reroofing the shed and well basically rebuilding it,replacing the wood around the overhead garage door, replacing the windowsill on a garage window,painting around all the house windows,fixing the flashing around both chimneys and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. All these things I've been trying to get to for 6 years. Dad left a lot of repairs.
I almost forgot,putting a storm door on the back door,the other 1 fell apart.

Count me as one of those who also love the summer!

Living in a wooded area, it's always 8 to 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the region. Folks have to remember that it's environmentally warmer in your urban & some suburban areas with all the buildings, vehicles, asphalt, brick & concrete everywhere.
When I head out of my area to do my running around, shopping & whatnot, I notice the difference & can't wait to get back!

So bring on the "Heat", I love it!:great:

Well actually there's a lot more than that,like reroofing the garage,painting the house roof, reroofing the shed and well basically rebuilding it,replacing the wood around the overhead garage door, replacing the windowsill on a garage window,painting around all the house windows,fixing the flashing around both chimneys and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. All these things I've been trying to get to for 6 years. Dad left a lot of repairs.
I almost forgot,putting a storm door on the back door,the other 1 fell apart.
Hey Jerry, sounds like you need to do what the Amish folks do. Have the Mrs. cook up a bunch of grub, then get a bunch of buddies together & help with the work.

You may not be able to pay em, but you sure as heck can feed em!
You'd be surprised what some folks will do for free food!:woo hoo:

Hey Jerry, sounds like you need to do what the Amish folks do. Have the Mrs. cook up a bunch of grub, then get a bunch of buddies together & help with the work.

You may not be able to pay em, but you sure as heck can feed em!
You'd be surprised what some folks will do for free food!:woo hoo:
Only problem is I don't have but maybe 1 or 2 buddies that could help and I don't have the money for the stuff I need. Living on disability we barely get by.
Next tax return check I'm planning on checking with Amish crews about re-roofing the garage,it's too much for me to do and they're usually cheaper. I'm just not sure if they work with metal roofing but they probably do.

Only problem is I don't have but maybe 1 or 2 buddies that could help and I don't have the money for the stuff I need. Living on disability we barely get by.
Next tax return check I'm planning on checking with Amish crews about re-roofing the garage,it's too much for me to do and they're usually cheaper. I'm just not sure if they work with metal roofing but they probably do.
Hopefully things will work out for ya buddy! With Gods help, they seem to always do!:D

Speaking of the heat, it's pouring down rain with a strong wind here in these woods.

Definitely a big difference from yesterday!

Hey Jerry...

The Amish work with all types of materials...that barn going up in those pictures has raised ribbed Tin panels going up on the side between the two roofs.

And a neighbor of ours had his roof damaged by a huge tree limb that came through his kitchen during a storm here...the blue shirted, straw hat Amish came to his rescue...did the whole roof...including removing & replacing the old beams and asphalt tiling... all in one day.

Those guys had been doing it since they were kids...

Hey Jerry...

The Amish work with all types of materials...that barn going up in those pictures has raised ribbed Tin panels going up on the side between the two roofs.

And a neighbor of ours had his roof damaged by a huge tree limb that came through his kitchen during a storm here...the blue shirted, straw hat Amish came to his rescue...did the whole roof...including removing & replacing the old beams and asphalt tiling... all in one day.

Those guys had been doing it since they were kids...

I know they're good,with all the building they do,helping put up each other's houses and barns,just wasn't sure if they did metal roofing but figured they did. I may have to have some wall studs changed in there and possibly some rafters. The garage was built in the late 60s-early 70s and hasn't ever been re-roofed that I know of. There's only 1 set of shingles on it and the east side leaks bad all the way across and up and there's places that's just got warped plywood left,no shingles at all. I'm surprised they didn't put the rolled paper underneath. The west side doesn't leak that I know of but I'll try and get it fixed the following year before it starts. I can't afford doing the whole roof at once though.

Copy that...

I won't do ladder / roof work on my current home... built in 1875.

It has a 12:12 Pitch ( 45 degree angle ) roof :

ET59hLz.png

Just redone in the Fall of 2016 with Architectural Asphalt Shingles...which are typically thicker and heavier than standard composition shingles and are often a premium priced shingle option. Instead of a 3-tab design of the composition, architectural shingles have alternating sections of thicker and thinner material, creating the illusion of individual shingles.

The roof will probably outlast me.

I ain't no mountain goat...nor do I play one on TV :rolleyes:

That's about the time our house was built too. It originally had wood shingles but before dad bought it in 1950 someone had re-roofed it with standing seam metal,it's a very steep angle too. The garage isn't real steep though,you can walk on it easily,dad built that around 1970 as I said before.

Latest posts

Back