Hot Sauces?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tapatio, on "mexican pizza". Nice taste, not really hot, but I may possibly have a skewed "hot setting"
IMG_2763.JPG

I'm in, but I can't remember the name of some of the more exotic hot sauces I like, some are from Texas and others from wherever. There's a Mexican or Central American outfit that makes good sauces too... El Yucateco (?) or something like that, their sauces are great to drizzle atop already-spicy-hot burritos with guac & sour cream on top, lol. Victoria Salsa Brava is alright, though it's not as hot as the label implies... but it's tasty! I'll think of more later, I might have pics of super-hot sauces which I picked up back in the day when I was driving OTR, but I ain't gonna get to those photo albums tonight, that's for sure. I have other material to post, you understand. But count me in, I LOVE hot sauce, and it doesn't have to be the HOTTEST goldurned sauce on the shelf either, as long as it has good flavor! OTOH, I don't want some weak namby-pamby sauce either, that cr@p ain't worth buyin', lol... :confused:

Stupid Sauce.

2 lbs Habenero peppers chopped coarsely.
4 cups white vinegar.
4 teaspoons salt.

Simmer a minimum of 5 minutes.

Puree, store in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Strain and store as preferred. Frozen, water-bathed, or in the fridge. Warning... This IS warm to say the least.

Plain, old fashioned “Tabasco Hot Sauce” is my favorite hot sauce. Texas Pete’s isn’t to bad either. If I don’t see those or Alabama Sunshine on the table I’ll skip it.

Hot Sauce and Pepper Sauce are bottled 30miles up the road, local company. Their hot sauce “Alabama Sunshine” is good, comparable to texas pete’s. Their pepper sauce is above average, mine is better (any homemade sauce is better, imho).

Hot sauce 95a.JPG
Tabasco Hot Sauce.jpg

I took it for granted that folks knew about Tabasco, that's a staple here, but not for Mexican food... I love it for big ol' egg breakfasts, what my friends & I call "cholesterol feasts!" 🤣

El Yucateco is habanero sauce from Mexico, comes in red and green. Not for those who think Crystal is hot.
Tapatio is popular with Southern California Hispanics, good flavor and some good heat.
Melindas is habanero from Costa Rica, nice and hot, good flavor. Just 4 drops or so on a burger gets the job done.
Another good Mexican sauce is Valentina, comes in regular (not hot) and Extra Hot (mildly hot).
Bufalo is a nice medium Mexican sauce.
Vietnam Ot Toi Chili Garlic sauce is Sriracha with seeds and membranes (that's where the heat is) plus garlic. Both made by the same company. I like it on pizza. just had it tonight, actually.
X-Treme Carolina Reaper (world's hottest chili pepper) and Ghost Pepper sauce is only for die hard hot sauce aficionados such as myself. Unless you have built up an immunity to heat, stay away. Great flavor!!!

Mild but tasty is Crystal Extra Hot and Crystal w/Garlic. Texas Pete Extra Hot is decent, too.

I am a hot sauce connoisseur, and if I didn't have a 70 pound Labrador in my lap at the moment, I'd go to the refrigerator for some more suggestions. My wife gave me my own shelf on the door, there's at least a dozen different bottles open and in use at any given time.

Back