Hotspot issues

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
View attachment 127007
Click the microphone and dictate instead of typing. Then edit in punctuation

100% dumb phone cause I can’t afford internet

I see Ya’ll laughing in the comments
Ya’ll laughing at my sorry excuse of inserting punctuation huh?

Well. You have a point and I am guilty as charged. I have a pocket full of excuses
I can pick one out that sounds pretty good

Can you utilize your phone's "hotspot" ?
Auto hotspot is on
IMG_1465.png

So, if you have a laptop, you should be able to link to the hotspot.

My Verizon plan doesn't allow me use of the hotspot, but I get unlimited data. I guess I can use what I want, but can't share it to other devices.

My Verizon plan doesn't allow me use of the hotspot, but I get unlimited data. I guess I can use what I want, but can;t share it to other devices.
I have a desk top but it’s not plugged in
Are you saying it should be able to pick up what ever signal this phone is picking up?
I am going to hook it up and see

Our po
I also have unlimited data
Our phone service (Verison) also has unlimited data....but that did not mean that our hotspot usage was unlimited. I found this out on a cross-county driving vacation last summer. I used my laptop every day connected to the internet via our phone's hotspot. After so many hours, I got a notice saying my hotspot usage had run out for the month.

All my internet is through my Verizon phone hotspot to my laptop. You will need to turn the Wi-Fi off since hotspot and Wi-Fi can't be on at the same time, or mine can't anyway. You may need a different plan to use your phone for hotspot or may have limited hot spot usage on your plan now. Verizon can help with any of that.

My plan allows for 100GB of hotspot use per month and the most I've used till now is around 70GB per month.

That picture shows NO Wi-Fi connection.
Looks like you are on your cell data only.
Tethering your phone to your computer without a Wi-Fi router is difficult.
Hot spot data is not unlimited with most carriers even if you have an unlimited data plan.
My carrier will throttle my speed down if I go over 20GB in a month of tethered data.
That seems like a lot but streaming movies will eat that up fast.
When I say throttle down I mean to around 1 MB per second or less.
It becomes totally useless.
I have been working on a solution to stay connected when we are traveling.
My daughter gave me an old Samsung tablet and my son added it to his T-Mobile plan for $20 a month.
I pay that $20.
I get unlimited data but tethering is limited to 20GB then they slow it down.
Our unlimited data plan phones get 20G each and for an additional $10 a month we can get 50G of data but again it will be slowed down after 20g of tethered data.
So bottom line we can get 150GB of data per month, 60G tethered, so we should be OK.
The 2 phones and the tablet will cost me around $70 a month for unlimited data and 60GB tethered dat before it slows down.
Starlink would cost me $150 a month plus I would have to buy the equipment for $600 and still pay for our phones.

Reactions: Neb
That picture shows NO Wi-Fi connection.
Looks like you are on your cell data only.
Tethering your phone to your computer without a Wi-Fi router is difficult.
Hot spot data is not unlimited with most carriers even if you have an unlimited data plan.
My carrier will throttle my speed down if I go over 20GB in a month of tethered data.
That seems like a lot but streaming movies will eat that up fast.
When I say throttle down I mean to around 1 MB per second or less.
It becomes totally useless.
I have been working on a solution to stay connected when we are traveling.
My daughter gave me an old Samsung tablet and my son added it to his T-Mobile plan for $20 a month.
I pay that $20.
I get unlimited data but tethering is limited to 20GB then they slow it down.
Our unlimited data plan phones get 20G each and for an additional $10 a month we can get 50G of data but again it will be slowed down after 20g of tethered data.
So bottom line we can get 150GB of data per month, 60G tethered, so we should be OK.
The 2 phones and the tablet will cost me around $70 a month for unlimited data and 60GB tethered dat before it slows down.
Starlink would cost me $150 a month plus I would have to buy the equipment for $600 and still pay for our phones.
Yeah I had full cable till the provider raised its prices to over$200 per month for landline, internet, tv
I dropped them.

Verizon will help you change your plan and get you going using your phone as a hotspot for your computer. It has to have wireless capability though. I'm sure all the new stuff does. Come to think of it I "think" you can also get that as a tether and not have to be wireless, but then your phone becomes attached just when you need it. lol

Reactions: Neb
I use Cricket! Phone is the hotspot, no WiFi needed, I don't pay for internet, phone is my computer! I have a Motorola Moto G 5G Power, AWESOME phone! That's the one I just upgraded to, Hubby has a cheaper one that suits his needs! I live very rural, near power lines, I get EXCELLENT speed!! We pay 106.00 a month for both lines, unlimited everything, and includes insurance on both phones! 😃👍😉

Reading thread for info about using a hot spot. I've never used one except for an experiment using my phone as a hot spot, and it worked. Varying degrees of success using Linux as my PC operating system. An Android is plug and play.... Apple... takes a bit doing with Linux.

What I've found (from research) is that hot-spotting from a phone can save a significant amount of money over using a typical internet service provider.

Side note: I know a phone can work well. But I'm old school enough I prefer using a PC.

Your cell provider will have a hotspot hub.
They are around $20 a month depending on the company.
It would work ok if you don't download a lot of music or videos.
That's what I've figured.

I have back-up Verizon phone service that is $15 a month, but limited to 2gigs per month. My primary ATT is $35 month and unlimited amount of use.

My Verizon plan doesn't allow me use of the hotspot, but I get unlimited data. I guess I can use what I want, but can't share it to other devices.
Have you tried connecting phone to computer with a usb cable? Worked for me.

Our po

Our phone service (Verison) also has unlimited data....but that did not mean that our hotspot usage was unlimited. I found this out on a cross-county driving vacation last summer. I used my laptop every day connected to the internet via our phone's hotspot. After so many hours, I got a notice saying my hotspot usage had run out for the month.
Yes. Happened with me . when the kids had to do homeschool during covid. I would use my cell phone turn on hotspot so kido could use laptop. Others have no idea how hard no internet can be

Latest posts

Back