How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@captain belly and @Amish Heart not so much good deals here in Australia at Aldi in our area as they are the same price and some prices are dearer than the supermarket. There are a couple of things I buy there being chicken legs and their sultanas and oil. That is about the only things I find cheaper there. I wish they kept their prices down much more as they used to but sadly not now.

I didn't realize that. We don't have an Aldi in New Mexico, but I shop at the one in Kansas when we're there. Prices are good. Not on all things, but prices are good. I'm a comparison/sale shopper, and never shop at Walmart. I do better at other places. Stopped at Big Lots after work today for a clock I needed for the school, and always look at their food sales. Found 3 of the Jumbo cans of Ranch Beans for 79 cents. The cans half that size are $1 to $1.29 at the other stores. Different things are cheaper at different places. Youtube's Homestead Tessie bought a bunch of packages of mushrooms for 98 cents at Aldi's to dehydrate. Would love to see that sale.

I agree that some places are cheaper than others in all areas and depends on what stores you have around you.

Heading to a small country town near us where we found really cheap reduced for clearance meats on Tuesday and will pick up a few more specials then as well I have earmarked that are cheaper than the supermarkets.

From 2 little country supermarkets we picked up on special 6kg of sausages, 1 kg bega cheese on half price special, just over a kg of champagne leg ham $7 kg cheaper than our normal supermarket, 4 x 500g speadable butters on half price special (making it far less than the usual butter we buy), 6 x El Paso burrito kits on half price special, 2 x packets of samboy chips and 2 x french fries chips on half price specials saving $51.54 on usual prices we pay in the supermarket we normally shop at.

Even better with all the specials we are under budget on our grocery shopping by $50.49 for the month. Still yet to get a few low price staples to stock back up but will do that closer to Easter when our discount e-vouchers will return for our larger supermarket in town which will make buying them cheaper than elsewhere.

Thank you @Amish Heart for the encouragement :) .

The Old El Paso burrito kits are actually made in Australia but cost a small fortune at usually about $6.50 or more each depending on where you shop. Do you have them over there ? in this brand.

Yep.

We recently moved from Oregon to Washington. We've not yet sold our other house so are essentially paying for 2 homes We still had the land line phone up the river in case of emergency (no cell service there.) We discussed it and decided to disconnect that phone which will save us $50 per month. If there's an emergency, I'm sure a neighbor would let us use theirs.
Also, new here, but the beginning of each month I try to see how many days I can go without spending. I actually didn't spend any on the 28th so today is no-spend day number 6

Wohoo for day 6 @LadyLocust of no spending and it would be harder to pay for 2 homes at once I would imagine. I know you are good with finances though like us but cutting back where we both can on our expenditure always helps.

We went shopping yesterday for groceries and today I purchased a pair of side cutters on Ebay saving $40.45 over purchasing them in the local hardware stores. The pair we had the end is broken off one of the blades so another pair was urgent as we are deconstucting.

Shall join you in the no spending challenge too from Friday as I have to buy a curtain rod and sprinkler adaptor for our grey water tomorrow and we have to get medications for DH.

Last edited:
Yesterday and this week-
- we saved $3.78 by buying our thread tape and a sprinkler adaptor at the irrigation store rather than buying it at the local hardware store.
- During the week I took advantage of a free listing promotion on Ebay saving $110.55 over paying usual listing fees.
- We saved money on town water during the week by using grey water from our neighbours grey water tanks to water some grass and fruit trees and used grey water pumped from our grey water tank to water some of the back yard lawn and some plants.
- Saved shower warm up water and dish rinsing water to water potted fruit trees and herbs.

On day one of not spending any money @LadyLocust we are not counting our splurge money as these are our once a week date nights which we had one this afternoon and did buy some soft drinks.

Assuming I don't spend any money today, it will be no-spend day number 9. I should say @Sewingcreations15 that I don't count the mortgage payment or gas to get to and from work as those are not optional expenditures. I have a grocery list started but will see if I can go a few more days. Last month I think I made 9 days so am trying to better that this month. It's funny how it stops the "oh, I'll swing in and pick up X while I'm here" sort of purchases. If there is something we need, it goes on the list. I will get it all at once.

I prefer getting my primary shopping done by the 8th of each month.i got it done on the 6th.so all i have to worry about for the rest of the month.is milk and bread when needed.other then that.chances are i won't go anywhere n spend money for the rest of the month. Bills n rent is paid.car has gas.my dog n me has food to eat.we got lighting n heat.so we're good to go.

From 2 little country supermarkets we picked up on special 6kg of sausages, 1 kg bega cheese on half price special, just over a kg of champagne leg ham $7 kg cheaper than our normal supermarket, 4 x 500g speadable butters on half price special (making it far less than the usual butter we buy), 6 x El Paso burrito kits on half price special, 2 x packets of samboy chips and 2 x french fries chips on half price specials saving $51.54 on usual prices we pay in the supermarket we normally shop at.

Even better with all the specials we are under budget on our grocery shopping by $50.49 for the month. Still yet to get a few low price staples to stock back up but will do that closer to Easter when our discount e-vouchers will return for our larger supermarket in town which will make buying them cheaper than elsewhere.
One of the things I love about this forum is the diversity of people and geography. I am always learning of something I never heard of ... then hav3 to look up ... in this case bega cheese

@LadyLocust you did well for 9 days of no expenditure too and hope you break your record this month too. It is surprising how much money that adds up to when you are always dropping by somewhere and picking up little things during the month. We work to a strict budget , as we have to having a mortgage, and stick to it. If it is not in the budget we don't buy it. On the fridge is a perpetual shopping list in which as we open something it goes on that list which makes it so much easier to do our shopping list from.

We also won't be including mortgage, bill payments, fuel, medications or splurge money in our no spend categories being we are so rural that when we get to town we normally fill up a few jerry cans of fuel at a time that we have used as it is far cheaper than here locally.

@jimLE we also shop once a month too as we use shopping e-vouchers where we order online and pick up our order. They don't have them at the moment until easter so we have changed up our routine a bit to pick up specials from local small supermarkets close to us. These purchases have been wiped off our perpetual shopping list and then there will be just staples and some pet food to buy closer to easter on our online shops.

Day 2 of no spending today.

@The Innkeeper I forget that you have different brands for many things over there than we do in Australia :) . Glad you learnt that it is a brand name of cheese over here. I like where possible to support Australian brands but sadly their cheese is usually double the price of the cheaper or New Zealand brand cheeses we usually buy. Even though I only could get 1, as that is all they had, it supports our local farmers in a small way.

Bringing mom to Aldi's today to get her stocked up, so I will, too

If you like nuts, you might want to try their 1 pound containers of cashews or mixed nuts for $12.99 each. Hubs and I eat a lot of nuts and Aldi is the cheapest place I have found to buy them. They have both salted and unsalted and you really have to read the label to make sure you get whatever kind you want. We get the salted ones and they are delish!

Good job @Sewingcreations15 !!! Today will be no-spend day number 11 (no plans to spend at this point.). @jimLE I don't count fuel as it's not optional for me so I'm thinking you're still in good shape.
One other goofy way I thought of that I'm saving money (sorta) is I have a night light in the bathroom. I think those little bulbs are about 7 watts. Rather than turning on the overhead light, I just use that one most the time.

I have 2 plug in to recharge flashlights. That can be used as night lights.but only get used if/when needed.only light on at night from the time i go to bed to when i get up in the morning.is the kitchen sink light.pluss there's street light's in each direction that light up the place enough for me to see where im going at night.

Have night lights in kitchen, bathroom on opposite ends of the house with led bulbs in them.
Just have to make sure that the dog toys are picked up so I don't step on anything sharp at night.
I think the LED bulbs are something like 4 watts maybe 7 watts.
Only have one light on in living room with small Led wattage bulb little bit bigger than nightlight bulb.

We have solar rechargeable lanterns we keep beside our bed at night to go to the rest room or outside with and find they are good for providing a good enough light without turning on the mains power lights. Just recently we changed all the light bulbs for LED bulbs and are slowly replacing the fluoro tubes in the house as we get the money for our electician friend to do the electrical work.

Latest posts

Back