How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to day 6 of spending no money but broke yesterday and today.

I saved $2.52 by ordering a gift card from our roadside assist club for groceries and saved another $1 by buying specials when doing the online grocery shop. I also saved another $10 by buying blocks of chocolate on half price specials in store in the supermarket. Not a lot of saving but it all adds up.

I had to go to the little town for my mom, she'd forgotten a few things at the market.

At the deli I found these... 6 broiled chicken legs for $1.69. The deli cooks up meats that are about to go past their expiration date occasionally.

Guess I'll be eating chicken for a couple of meals.

chicken legs sm.JPG

So, this pension is another round of Adulting.

The financial crisis and tightening travel/shipping restrictions means that if I want more jars for the upcoming growing season I have to buy them now while I still can and while they're still available.

That leaves me with a grand total of $22 for the fortnight and if I buy seeds on-line it means zero human interaction.

Sounds awesome to me!

So much for no spending.
Broke my last Corelle dinner plate this morning.
It caught the edge of countertop just right, shattered.
Dang, only had that set for 20 plus years.
So off to Wal-Mart I go.
Spent $2.00 on 2 bread plates they were clearance.
$2 something on Mr. Clean multi purpose cleaner.
Grand total spent plus tax $4.50.

I earned enough points yesterday to get my certificate for a free half spiral ham from the grocery store
When they have them out I can pick one out
We're still eating off the one I got for Christmas and I haven't used the bone to make broth or bean soup yet.

Beings I am going to be at Wal*Mart picking up dad's medicines, groceries.
Going to see if they marked down those pretty rainbow kids shoes.
I would like another pair of tennis shoes that don't hurt my feet.
They were $29.96 starting price, they're now marked down to $10.
But if they go down to $5 or less, I'll get me a pair.
And if they are rainbow colors, they'll go with anything color wise.

I agree @Amish Heart the chocolate blocks were VIP's and we are glad we have them as they put some normality back in the day. We also have a lot of baking chocolate chips in storage too along with chocolate bullets and snakes as well.

Ironically now they are all on a purchase restriction list of 2 for each transaction along with everything else. The purchase restriction of 1 is on toilet paper, tissues, hand sanitiser, rice over 2kg, large bags of flour.

On Friday while I was waiting for DH to come out of his operation I managed to get 2 x 1 kg self raising flour to top up some of what we have used from our stockpile and also picked up 2 packets of chocolate biscuits that DH likes also from Aldi.

Boy was that a nightmare as they had a security guard at the door and I lined up with others to get in there. So glad I didn't have to do a full shop as people were getting rather robust with their supermarket trolleys. I just got what we needed within grocery purchase restriction limits and left. Most people were fairly orderly and polite though with no fights over items. I just steered clear of the toilet paper bedlam of which we needed none of as we have a good stockpile of it.

Day 2 of not spending any money today.

I've gone over our $200 grocery budget number by $30 this month. There's nothing I see us needing before the end of the month. Part of the reason for the overage is that I got extra when I last went to the store. Under the circumstances, I don't want to have to go back for a while. I put 2 blocks of cheese (natural Irish) in the freezer, got 3 1/2 doz. eggs, etc. Will be set for a little while.

This was yesterday but I found some real bargains I didn’t expect. I stopped at a super market to get some produce. This was a high-end market, most things are too pricey for me but they have excellent produce and the bakery is even better. I only stop for select items in each.

Even at this store there had been runs on TP and other predictable items. But the other items… There were 2 for 1 specials all over the store! I picked up 3 kinds of pasta, 3 cheeses and some yogurt. In the international foods section the specials continued. I got soy sauce, hot mustard, tamarind, rice wine, rice wine vinegar, Mirin, siracha sauce and toasted sesame oil. Both fish and oyster sauces were on special along with water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. In Mexican foods the re-fried beans and taco shells were on special along with name brand salsa! Basically, an entire isle was 2 for 1. Cooking stocks and broths were on that isle and on special too and I was low on both.

I didn’t intend to buy any of this but I’ve never seen mark downs to this degree at this store, bargains by any measure were everywhere. They are all things I use, especially when cooking Asian dishes. I stocked up.

This was yesterday but I found some real bargains I didn’t expect. I stopped at a super market to get some produce. This was a high-end market, most things are too pricey for me but they have excellent produce and the bakery is even better. I only stop for select items in each.

Even at this store there had been runs on TP and other predictable items. But the other items… There were 2 for 1 specials all over the store! I picked up 3 kinds of pasta, 3 cheeses and some yogurt. In the international foods section the specials continued. I got soy sauce, hot mustard, tamarind, rice wine, rice wine vinegar, Mirin, siracha sauce and toasted sesame oil. Both fish and oyster sauces were on special along with water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. In Mexican foods the re-fried beans and taco shells were on special along with name brand salsa! Basically, an entire isle was 2 for 1. Cooking stocks and broths were on that isle and on special too and I was low on both.

I didn’t intend to buy any of this but I’ve never seen mark downs to this degree at this store, bargains by any measure were everywhere. They are all things I use, especially when cooking Asian dishes. I stocked up.
Rather smart of management! Specials to help draw folks away form panic buying items.

I'm hoping to stay out of the stores till after Easter. Don't want to go anywhere except for the Post office a few times for us and our neighbor, and possibly the drive thru pharmacy for husband's prescriptions. He picked up a bunch today, throws the bags on the floor of the passenger side. I go through it when he gets home with gloves on, and throw the outer bags directly to the outside trash bins.

Our fan unit was sounding funny, and our air/heat guy came by yesterday. But he was able to fix it outside, not coming in. I went outside and yelled hello to him when I saw his truck. And put a couple dozen eggs on his truck hood. He thought it was cool that some eggs were green shelled. I yelled that they came from green chickens.

Latest posts

Back