How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't buy a boat today.
That is a lifelong savings.

boat (bot) noun
1 A hole in the water that you repeatedly throw $100 into. My boat broke down again.

The two happiest days in a mans life, the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it.

I'm on day 3 of no spend. Each year, I see how long I can go. Think the longest was mid-April one year. It kinda works like a reset and gets me back out of the habit of spending. There are a few things I want and fewer I need. Will let you know when I break.

Fair play (as they say here!) @LadyLocust. Jan is not a time for me to do a no-spend, as I buy birthday gifts in the sales.
This year I paid €10 for a 'surprise box' from a company that does bath & shower stuff. I've realised how popular it is amongst the females in my family, so I was watching the sales. The box arrived, and I was really surprised- I received nearly €60 of items such as bubble baths, hair oils etc. So I've ordered two more and will make a few small hampers. My year of female gifts is sorted :D
Picked up a few trays of 24 meatballs at €2 instead of 5 each locally
Also, before Christmas, I bought a USB port for €3, and a usb clip-on lamp. We are pretty good here using electricity, lights get switched off and nothing left on standby. But as I'm on the PC each day I decided to use it to charge stuff like phones, and when it gets dark I have the little lamp so I need to turn on a light. Sorry pics aren't great.

Attachments

• WIN_20240108_10_15_49_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240108_10_15_49_Pro.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20240108_10_16_08_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240108_10_16_08_Pro.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
Instead of taking my tractor to the shop, who quoted $1500 for labor, I hired a buddy and did the job myself. It took me a while to go through my list of friends and acquainted, because splitting a tractor and replacing the clutch assembly is not for everyone. But I hired the right friend.

We finished it yesterday. It took a couple of hours to dismantle, A day for the machine shop to resurface the flywheel, and about four hours to put it together. He's got a pocket full of money and I saved about a grand!

I do these questionnaires throughout the year and in return use the points for vouchers. I need socks etc from Primark, so converted my points to vouchers. Free underwear 🤣
Free underwear??
Man have you priced underwater lately
Holy bejebbers!!
I went to buy some underwear. Theater wanted like $10 for 2 pair
So I made a decision right there on the spot
Damn basketball draw string shorts are cheaper than bvd’s so I am sporting basket ball shorts and the bvd’s can KMA!!!

So I don't normally discuss my underwear lol, publicly or with strangers 🤣 but I can get a pack of 5 'everyday' plain ones for about 6 dollars and a pack of five black socks for 5 dollars in Pennys/Primark here. But yes, I have noticed both men's and women underwear has gotten very expensive in other places, - especially if there is a bit of lace added!

I've noticed there are a lot less 'bin sales' here, and anything in them is for little children. That applies to the food discount shelves also.
As a gesture, I used to give some chocolate at easter to the neighbours. We are at the age when none of us need to eat more junk food so when I took my Daughter to her driver theory test on Saturday I popped into to the supermarket to get milk, I saw they had little money plants, jade plants etc on sale for about 1.50 dollars. Of course they were half dead, no one waters them- supermarkets are where good plants go to die- I bought a couple, repotted them and will grow them on as gifts. Today they look great.
By the time easter comes around they'll be the size of the 10-dollar ones, and I'll use them as gifts.
1706521658444.png

Was picking up a dozen eggs today...
I always get jumbo eggs because you get more ounces of 'egg' per dozen.
They weren't on sale.
1 dozen jumbo eggs: $3.49 .
1 dozen large eggs in their massive section that people are programmed to buy from: $4.29 . :oops:

How did I save money yesterday?
I do not pull my wallet out of my back pocket!!!!!
The wallet
Was picking up a dozen eggs today...
I always get jumbo eggs because you get more ounces of 'egg' per dozen.
They weren't on sale.
1 dozen jumbo eggs: $3.49 .
1 dozen large eggs in their massive section that people are programmed to buy from: $4.29 . :oops:
wonder what the cost is to raise up a chicken to its
Time on the plate

Depends on how you feed them, and your starting chick price.
The cheapest I can get a cornish chick rooster (because they are heavier) is $1.68 if I buy 25. Included shipping, last years price. I've never measured how much feed one bird eats. You have to feed it for 8 to 10 weeks, then butcher. Cheaper on feed if you tractor them on grass and move them around, and also add in food scraps. They eat continuously.
Or...you can just hatch your own barnyard mix from your eggs, butcher the extra roosters after 6 months old. Save money on not having to purchase the chicks, and a barnyard mix will eat about half what the cornish do. They can free range, too, and that saves.

Pruned the overgrowth from the mini aloe vera forest we have in our south windows. Chopped them up and loaded four shelves of our large freeze drier with them. The cost of aloe vera gel or lotion that is store bought makes processing them worth while.

Excited to get something new growing even if it is wheat grass. Soon we will be saving money by starting our herbs in the window.....they have got very expensive in the garden suppy stores.

Still working on saving as much $$$ as I can.
Our power bill was $92.35 less than same month last year 😊 I am extremely happy about that.
Also, I did break my no spend - we went to an estate sale this past weekend. I got a tea kettle that whistles (because I have burnt more than one 😣)
I will be curious to run this month's numbers. Think we've done pretty well. Will keep you posted.
Also will continue on the no-spend even though I broke.

Went to the store today.
2 of the kinds of cheese I buy were on sale more than $1 off each, so I doubled up on them :thumbs:.
Saved $5 on them.
Not too shabby for a "man-shopper":dancing:.

Garden spending is rough. I did manage to get the new strawberry plants I wanted at Atwoods...had them for 99 cents a piece and they look good. Red onions to start for $2.99 a bag, and Russet potato starts, a big bag for $4.99. I did choke at the potting soil mix that I need for my seedlings when they transition out of the little bitty cup size. $7.97 a bag...I think it was about 30 lbs. Got four bags Black Kow organic. Way too expensive. At least I don't need to buy fertilizer or plants. So I think that's all I need to buy, but we'll see. Except some flower for the pots on the porch, but I'll get them from the greenhouse across the road and keep it local. Otherwise, I plant tons of marigold and mammoth head sunflowers, and I save seed, so no buying

Free underwear??
Man have you priced underwater lately
Holy bejebbers!!
I went to buy some underwear. Theater wanted like $10 for 2 pair
So I made a decision right there on the spot
Damn basketball draw string shorts are cheaper than bvd’s so I am sporting basket ball shorts and the bvd’s can KMA!!!
Most people know you shop for basics like socks, underwear at "Back to school time" and in Bargain bins.
Another good time to shop for basics is after Christmas.
Also shop before they set the new modulars for the upcoming season
I got 5 shawl, wraps for Christmas this year 2024 for $2 a piece instead of paying $25 a piece.
Or making them myself.
Also look on the bottom shelf or high shelf than eye level, you can find bargains either of those two areas.
How do I know these things..... when I wasn't playing Army I worked retail.

Most people know you shop for basics like socks, underwear at "Back to school time" and in Bargain bins.
Another good time to shop for basics is after Christmas.
Also shop before they set the new modulars for the upcoming season
I got 5 shawl, wraps for Christmas this year 2024 for $2 a piece instead of paying $25 a piece.
Or making them myself.
Also look on the bottom shelf or high shelf than eye level, you can find bargains either of those two areas.
How do I know these things..... when I wasn't playing Army I worked retail.
Where have you been young lady?
Do you know your mother and I have been pacing the floor worried sick you might have been kid napped and sold off in the slave trade? Or hit by a car and left in the weeds alone and bleeding?
You’re grounded for 2 weeks.
Maybe next time you will remember to call

lol
Welcome back, You have been missed

Not spending money.
I have a full stocked pantry.
Both the chest freezer and the refrig freezer has meat in them.
Just using what I have.
Or remaking something I have into something I need.
Estelle is learning the art of looming.
She's making potholders.
Some of those will be made into pencil case and purses for Christmas gifts.
I am still knitting, crocheting hats, gloves and scarfs sets as Christmas gifts.
Making quilts for practical gifts.

Where have you been young lady?
Do you know your mother and I have been pacing the floor worried sick you might have been kid napped and sold off in the slave trade? Or hit by a car and left in the weeds alone and bleeding?
You’re grounded for 2 weeks.
Maybe next time you will remember to call

lol
Welcome back, You have been missed
Thanks, it's nice to be back.
Had a few health issues that needed tending too.
Slave Trade?
Nah! They would pay you to take me back.

Latest posts

Back