How Do I Change Browser

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are so tuned into this and I don't even know what the words mean, it's mostly 'french 'to me.
I didi learn the dif of Extortion though.:D.
Thank you for your kindness and help so far. I have learned a few things and did change my dfault browser to Firefox along with Opera. But these days I am not compheginding good at all. Can't concentrate with all the new things plus family life.

None of it is magic Meerkat. It's not going to hurt you or help much either way. Just get used to using something and learn how to keep things more private as you go.

You are welcome! ;)
We will help if you need it but you are likely more capable than you want to believe. 🤗

The only thing that NWS radar runs on is Flash.
Well hopefully they find an alternative or a workaround before it breaks.
A huge part of the internet still runs on flash. Everybody only had 3.5 years warning, of course they waited until the bitter end to do something about it.

Most of the "slow" on the internet is the native modems not your computer. When I hit a slow spot I usually run a speed test while wating for the page to load. My speed is almost always above 100 Mb/s so I know the problem is on the other end. Even using VPNs it rarely slows me down. The other thing that will slow a connection is ads loading one after the other. With the proper software or add-ons the slowdown can be eliminated.

I have a CPU/RAM meter on this Laptop that shows that while on this site Me RAM Usage goes from 30% up to 45% at any given time...! As I move around on this site it can get as High as 52% and when it does Nothing will work Right and I have to Utilize the RAM Cleaner/Memory Optimizer to get it back into the Mid to High 30's% to work Properly Again...!! The CPU Registers almost a Constant 100% while Moving Around the site...! What Infro is this Site putting into Me PC...?!?

and Right Now after checking a couple of posts the RAM is up to 46% and the CPU just dropped from 100% to around 75%... Did a Quick Clean and the RAM Dropped to 37%... Gotta leave and try again L8r...!!!

Right now it looks like I have 3 browswers? Opera,Google Chrome and Firefox.

Been online yesterday and this morning trying to install Firefox but not keep the other two.
Do I need 2 and is that what ' default ' means is an extra broqser?

I downloaed Firefox ' thanks SheepD' but still have Opera and Google Chrome.

Kids use ot help us but they don't visit since Covid.
My main browser for years has been Firefox. I love it.
I tried Chrome when it came out. Didn't like it. I still have it but I just ignore that it's there.
I think I might also have Edge (tried it when it came out). It just sits there.
I don't worry about getting rid of either of them. Firefox is set as default and that's that.

I have a CPU/RAM meter on this Laptop that shows that while on this site Me RAM Usage goes from 30% up to 45% at any given time...! As I move around on this site it can get as High as 52% and when it does Nothing will work Right and I have to Utilize the RAM Cleaner/Memory Optimizer to get it back into the Mid to High 30's% to work Properly Again...!! The CPU Registers almost a Constant 100% while Moving Around the site...! What Infro is this Site putting into Me PC...?!?

Is this the same laptop you were trying to get more RAM for a while back? If so, it's an extremely slow machine, to the point that using it at all with a modern browser is a tribute to your patience. It's about 30% as fast as the 16-17 year old laptop I'm typing on at the moment. I'd expect the CPU to be pegged at 100% most of the time the browser is doing anything but just sitting. There's no fix except a faster computer.

Are those memory usage numbers referring to actual physical RAM, or all available memory including swap-to-disk space? If the former, they're good and not slowing you down; if the latter, it's probably used all the physical RAM and is getting into swap-to-disk, which is very slow. Again, no fix except a newer computer that will take more RAM, since that one is already at its limit.

Well That just S...s...!!! Ok, got newer 500GB Drives, will install one into the better of the 2 Toshiba Laptops that I have and see what I get...!! Thanks for Replying...!

@Meerkat The thing you must do is import your favorites or bookmarks from opera if you used it as you main browser and put them on your new browser, none of your automatic features like passwords, auto links etc will be available and will have to be redone in the new browser.

I use Brave and Pale Moon they work in a different manner and are pretty easy to use and secure.

I removed every browser from this computer but those.

I even force removed the dreaded microsoft privacy killer Edge from it, they keep trying to install it again with updates and I keep ejecting it.

Last edited:
@Meerkat The thing you must do is import your favorites or bookmarks from opera if you used it as you main browser and put them on your new browser, none of your automatic features like passwords, auto links etc will be available and will have to be redone in the new browser.
...You know @Meerkat got banned years ago, right?
She spent too much time drinking with Wingnut.:(

A web browser is one of the most, if not the most, ram sucking programs most people run on their computers. Especially if you are in the habit of opening lots of tabs.

Telling us what percentage of your ram is being used is pretty meaningless unless we know how much ram you have. e.g., if you have 4Gb of ram, a single webpage is going to eat up a much higher percentage of that than if you had 32Gb of ram.

Likewise, we need to know what OS you are running. If it's Windows, that will eat up all your ram just because it's Windows. 4Gb would be more than enough for Linux to run comfortably in, but I'm doubting if Windows would even start up in that amount of ram.

I would say that most likely your problem is not this website (it is quite typical of other similar websites). Rather, it is a severely underpowered computer. If you want to continue using your current computer, put Linux on it. If you want to continue running Windows, buy a better computer. I am just speculating here - basing my comments on you probably running a really underpowered computer, which was alluded to by @backwoodsman who seems to remember something about your hardware that I don't (or that I never knew).

When your computer is on death's door due to lack of resources (ram, cpu, etc.) the first thing most non-techie people will notice are web browser issues.

Latest posts

Back