How do I prevent moisture / condensation due to humidity, and temp changes?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I keep a packed back pack in a heavy duty plastic tote in the covered back of the truck in case someone gets careless and starts a forest fire. Due to temp and humidity changes, especially during winter, I am concerned with mildew and moisture damage. I see products like "damp rid" but it seems to be an item that is of considerable size and needs to be hung up with air space around it. My tote is pretty tightly packed so I need to find another solution. I don't keep pack behind seat as people passing by could find unwanted interest.

I had drilled a few small holes in the bottom of my truck gear tote to deal with this. I just keep stuff like tow straps, chains, etc in mine but I was having a trouble with mold and rust before I did this. Just a few holes make a big difference.

..Or, just spring for a 'Pelican' case (oft time, you can find 'em on the cheap on Craigslist / eBay, (and in Top shape..) from Photographers / Cinematographers, who buy them New for some project - then sell for pennies on the dollar, because they value their 'studio space' more than then recouping something on the cases..)

YMMV, but this has been my - pleasant - experience, and they will Keep yer stuff sealed, and dry.. And, if you've got something that will 'generate moisture when heated', internally, then get a Silica 'Dry Box' (basically a Giant, reusable / renewable 'dessicant pak') and you should be good..

jd

For us, everything is packed in a "freezer ziplock" bag, air removed (squooshed out by hand), then packed into whatever. Those "vacuum" bags would probably work good, but i never tried them.

I swear by zip lock bags and oxygen absorbers. Are the items small enough to put in a waterproof container? Amazon has quite a variety of small containers that are reasonably priced. Maybe make up some kits that will go into your plastic tote.

Latest posts

Back