How I'm combatting rising fuel prices with solar.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW It's really that hard on the axels?

You wouldn't by chance have any pictures would ya?

Sorry, I transfered it all to others when I hung up my wrenches, retired, and moved away from Alabama.:mad:
In answer to your question, yes it can be done. We have done it.
You will need a bigger drive motor, much more robust drive controller, and you can cut the 'life expectancy' of trans axle to 75% less than normal :(.

How did y'all hang the motor?

No pics, they were other people's toys.
Yes, if you pour 4 times the horsepower+ into the final drive than it was designed for, it doesn't live that long. :(

No pics, they were other people's toys.
Yes, if you pour 4 times the horsepower+ into the final drive than it was designed for, it doesn't live that long. :(
LMAO Yeah I get that. I always thought I'd blow the 10 bolt rear in my 79 Z28 pulling 1.19 second 60 foot's every week at the track. Then I did a full nitrous pass ONCE with a 1.11 second 60 foot and 8.73 @ 177 in the quarter mile. That was my best time ever. Not to shabby for a backyard built car in the early 90's.

LMAO Yeah I get that. I always thought I'd blow the 10 bolt rear in my 79 Z28 pulling 1.19 second 60 foot's every week at the track. Then I did a full nitrous pass ONCE with a 1.11 second 60 foot and 8.73 @ 177 in the quarter mile. That was my best time ever. Not to shabby for a backyard built car in the early 90's.
Yeah, we all have to 'throttle down' some day :(.
One day you are tweaking transmission shift points on a fast home-built car, and a couple years later you are working on fixing an oil leak on a KitchenAid® mixer:mad:.
GUEST_bb8802cd-27eb-4dbf-97bd-1d5587b34f14

I loved the front PTO drive though😍.
Edit: ok, that is of topic. :(

Last edited:
Ha reverse pattern Manual valve body in my Turbo 350 with a 5200 stall converter. Had to go reverse pattern because I was unable to push the shifter forward under launch conditions! Sweet setup from ATI transmissions in Baltimore Maryland. 390 rear gear 29 inch tires and I could shift according to how fast I wanted to go.
406 SBC loaded with goodies. Dyno at the wheels showed 647hp and 652ftlbs @ 6200 RPM we never planned to take it any higher so that was as high as we dynoed it.

6200 shift 10.50
6500 shift 10.20
6700 shift 9.90
7000 shift 9.70
7500 shift 9.50
8000 shift 9.20

laughing gas if I wanted to go faster than that! Lord it was a LOT of FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: That 8.73 pass the recall on the tach went past 10,000RPM my tach only had 10,000 as it's upper limit.

Went down to the river again today with the dogs. Then my youngest daughter and I rode to the neighbors this evening. I learned something new about the cart. With the two of us in it it will pull wheelies anytime you romp the gas kind of hard. (call it 350lbs for the two of us) No need to even slam it to the floor just push it kind of quick like and the front tires are off the ground. lol If I push it like that by myself it just spins so I was surprised to say the least. The battery was also pretty close to what I call dead at the time being at 52.12 volts. I try and keep the battery voltage between 52 and 54 for the most part. Man this thing is a load of fun and useful too!

Well I finally managed to kill the battery. I haven't plugged it in to charge in awhile and we've been riding it all over the place. Today I got busy and didn't pay any attention to it other than once about lunch time I noticed the voltage was 50.12. So I knew it was low. I found out tonight at dark the motor draws enough current that the BMS will shut down on account of voltage drop when the resting voltage is around 48 volts. Which it was and I just wasn't paying attention or I wouldn't have let it drop below 50V. We haven't had a day of sunshine in sometime. There are periods of some sun but it's been pretty cloudy and or hazy for a month at least. Thinking I'll set up another panel here at the house where I park to plug in during the middle of the day while I hide from the heat or whenever I'm in the house.

Took another homesteader for a quick ride today. Pulled over in the grass and said you know how golf carts are slow and boring! He says yeah they are kinda lame. Then I proceeded to punch it and pulled a good foot high wheelie with his big 250 pound butt in the cart with me. Then we proceeded down the road and he's like dang we must be doing 20 what did you do to this thing? I just laughed and showed him the battery. He's no longer convinced all golf carts are lame. LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Got a light reprimand from a deputy this morning for driving on the road in the GC. No big deal but I can sure tell ya I never PLANNED to drive the thing on the road or especially to the courthouse. Daughters dog was up there greeting everyone and being a general pain. Try driving 4 miles with a wet muddy STINKY great Pyrenees in a golf cart someday. Not an experience I want to repeat.

"I'M TELLIN' YA, SON, YER GONNA DRIVE ME TO DRINKIN'... IF YA KEEP ON DRIVIN' THAT HOT... ROD... ER... GOLF CART!!!" :oops:

P.S. What did ya do, slip the deputy a fifty while nobody else was looking? ;)

"I'M TELLIN' YA, SON, YER GONNA DRIVE ME TO DRINKIN'... IF YA KEEP ON DRIVIN' THAT HOT... ROD... ER... GOLF CART!!!" :oops:

P.S. What did ya do, slip the deputy a fifty while nobody else was looking? ;)
Nah they don't want to upset my other daughter they have to work with her in the common wealth attorneys office. lmao

Yeah, it's a classic... good pickin' in there too, lol. My favorite memory of this tune was when a good friend & I were in the middle of a weeklong climbing trip to J. Tree... we had to make a beer & liquor run into the town of Joshua Tree, didn't need anything else, and we took my Oldsmobile on the run, right? Thing topped out around 100 m.p.h., so that's how fast we were going on that deserted "entrance road" from J. Tree proper to the Monument (now a Nat'l Park, I believe). That song came on the radio and I had it CRANKED, my friend & I were laughing our @$$es off while flying around some of those curves... had to slow down for some of the sharper curves, otherwise we would've been offroading in the Olds, lol. Boy, that was one heckuva ride, and we never saw anybody else on the road so we didn't endanger the motoring public, but that was back in the day when J. Tree wasn't filled with libtards, you could actually have a bonfire in Hidden Valley without some leftists in a Prius givin' ya stink-eye, lol. Man, I miss those days, the freedom was awesome!!! :)

P.S. We'd make an annual pilgrimage to J. Tree, usually in early February so my friend could celebrate his birthday there in the park... we'd plan to stay for a week, but we never really made it past five or six days, by that time our fingertips would be shredded like so much taco meat, lol. And whenever we had a day or two left on our ticket (or entrance receipt), we'd swap it out with climbers staying on who had reached their limit, lol... that's how things were done back then, seems different nowadays, and more's the pity. Hey, I'm going back to listen to that tune again, as it brings back primo memories, lol... CHEERS!!! :cool:

Y'all might want to check out my Youtube playlist. lots of good stuff here. About 180-190 songs

Brother messaged me from the UK. He rented a house (2 adults, 2 children) while they are waiting to buy a new one -his gas/elec bill was 3850 pound. About 550 per month. Huge increase and out of the reach of most ordinary folk, they have a good income.

A little update on the GC. I haven't gone off property for the last week give or take. Weather wise we have had a pretty good mix of sun and clouds with rain, more cloudy days than clear IIRC. The battery appears to be about 60% tonight when I put it up after doing chores in the dark. I can certainly live with that. You have to remember I am trying to keep the battery between 20 and 80 percent charged for the longest battery life.

Diesel and electric motors are fairly close in that their torque is high starting at low rpm's, I mention this because when I was working for the local school district they had a John Deere diesel zero turn mower with a Hydromatic transmission that really multiplies the torque and from hard shifting from forward to reverse twisted the axles in half at the spline that goes into the differential and those axles were very heavy duty. A larger high torque motor will likely break a GC differential fairly easy.

Diesel and electric motors are fairly close in that their torque is high starting at low rpm's, I mention this because when I was working for the local school district they had a John Deere diesel zero turn mower with a Hydromatic transmission that really multiplies the torque and from hard shifting from forward to reverse twisted the axles in half at the spline that goes into the differential and those axles were very heavy duty. A larger high torque motor will likely break a GC differential fairly easy.
Didn't I post the picture here what the higher torque of higher voltage did to the rear leaf springs? They looked like wet noodles! The new heavy duty springs are working great. Though I have to admit I don't think I've stomped on it like that since bending the first set of springs. lol

Yes. Torque-related fatigue-failures are real.
If it takes a long time, the broken part looks like rocksalt:
02_gdlbuv.jpg

Been there... ain't fixin' that no more! :confused:

Finally put the LifePO4 battery in today. Holy Smokes alive! Stupid quick is the only thought I can come up with for it. If you can imagine getting axel hop in a golf cart then you know what it feels like. Loosing 260-270 pounds and adding about 7 volts under full load really was a game changer. I'm actually a little afraid to mash it straight out anywhere it might get traction. Can not wait to get some taller SOFTER tires. It rides even rougher with the weight loss. Also looking forward to switching it over to a newer type system some time down the road. It would be nice to be able to run a lot slower without all the heat waste this one has. Went almost exactly 8 miles down logging roads and still had 71% state of charge when I got back. The new systems with regen motor braking would be a lot, maybe even twice as efficient as the current system.
Pulled this old post up from July 4th to see just how long the battery has been installed. Roughly 3 months and with the solar panel doing most of the regular charging duties. I checked the BMS yesterday to see how many cycles the battery has had now at a little over three months of use. 15 cycles is all in about 90 days. I think that is just way to cool. Looking like this battery may well last me the rest of my lifetime!

@Supervisor42

You said you had done some carts with CVT's and electric motors how much of a beach was it?
https://www.amazon.com/MOOSUN-GO-KA...e6e-b753-0a645b1e64c1&pd_rd_i=B07T1KRS4V&th=1
Don't know about that setup. I believe those are for a gas engine go-cart with a centrifugal clutch and not an electric golf cart.
Most of what we did was upgrade the motor (bigger), the controller to SEM or AC, and boost the battery voltage.
ZAPI rules!
80920-mosh.gif
They were battle-tested in our industrial equipment.
...And they lived! :thumbs:
1.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know about that setup. I believe those are for a gas engine go-cart with a centrifugal clutch and not an electric golf cart.
Most of what we did was upgrade the motor (bigger), the controller to SEM or AC, and boost the battery voltage.
They are meant for gas engines but I have done a lot of crazy crap like this in my time. I believe I can use one of those and swap the rear gears to 6:1 and have 50% more torque off the line and twice the top end speed.

ETA: This route will cost 5-600 and then I still have the option of going with a hot motor. lol

@Supervisor42 If you have the time and feel like it give my idea some thought and pick holes in it for me, tell me why it won't work. Please

It will require some fabrication but that's life in the fast lane. lmao

@Supervisor42 If you have the time and feel like it give my idea some thought and pick holes in it for me, tell me why it won't work. Please
It will require some fabrication but that's life in the fast lane. lmao
You already did that for me in post #159.
https://www.golfcartking.com/navitas-club-car-5kw-dc-to-ac-conversion-kit-w-otf-programmer/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-daUBhCIARIsALbkjSYmIMSvU9zGwfnfLqYR27B3aOjdGux1I0GW4X6ngq10KQcA8n2_5HwaAmFkEALw_wcB
Screenshot_20220924-222837.png

BTW, it is a lot of work! :(

Well heck short memory.
Good thing I enjoy fabrication since I don't have another 2k + to spend on it. But if I ever do I might just add one of those to the list.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back