How many firearms & how many sources of water.....???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have a large inflatable pool to be a reservoir for captured water. And, I have clean tarps to increase rain collection area...the runoff from tarps would go into the pool, two rain barrels, then into pots & pans, trashcans...pretty much any container I could get my hands on would be filled up during a rainstorm.

And, I just bought some pool shock this morning because of this thread. :thumbs:

Treating for bird poop...hmmm. I can filter water. I can sanitize it / purify it. Would that do the trick?

I figure any water is better than no water. And, not all water will be for drinking.

Treating for bird poop...hmmm. I can filter water. I can sanitize it / purify it. Would that do the trick?
Rather than treating the water after it has been pooped in (or in addition to that), you could try to prevent the pooping in the first place. Above you containment pool, and above your collection tarp, why not put a mesh net? I don't think birds will like that mesh. They can't land and stabilize themselves on it, so they hopefully would just avoid it. You might still get the random fly-by pooping, but that should be far less than the sit-and-roost pooping from birds comfortably resting above and hanging out for long periods. Of course, the mesh could entrap the really stupid birds, hold them there, and then they would degenerate into a constant pooping factory followed by their dead carcasses falling onto your tarp. Hmmm. I guess you'd just have to try it and see how stupid the birds are in your area. Hopefully you have the smart ones that would avoid the mesh.

Ever noticed how birds are more or less likely to crap on cars based upon their color?

Anyone intending to use an inflatable pool or tarp to capture rain water should consider that birds will crap on (newly appeared) things they see as a threat to their territory.

https://nilesanimalhospital.com/2012/08/28/which-color-cars-do-birds-prefer-to-poop-upon/
Researchers who compiled the results found 18 per cent of red cars were marked with droppings, blue 14 per cent, black 11 per cent, white 7 per cent, grey/silver 3 per cent, and green 1 per cent.

The common color for inflatable pools is blue.......which is several times more likely to get crapped on than something that is silver or green.

The same (color sensitivity) would apply to the use of tarps to increase catchment.

Silver things like galvanized steel roofs that have been there for decades are just part of the scenery and not assessed as a threat.

My blue inflatable pool is an emergency last ditch effort to collect water in a "TEOTWAWKI" scenario. I am not able to build a non-blue water collection container on my property. Perhaps I will empty out the water from the pool into other containers as soon as possible. After all, the pool could be raided by my neighbors, and I will need that water for myself. But, during a rain storm, it would allow me to collect water quickly. Another option is to have the pool under my deck, and get the water into it by other means than direct collection of rain falling from the sky.

My blue tarps would not be permanently placed. They would be temporary in a rain storm. I have too many people near me to just leave things like that sitting outside.

My blue inflatable pool is an emergency last ditch effort to collect water in a "TEOTWAWKI" scenario. I am not able to build a non-blue water collection container on my property. Perhaps I will empty out the water from the pool into other containers as soon as possible. After all, the pool could be raided by my neighbors, and I will need that water for myself. But, during a rain storm, it would allow me to collect water quickly. Another option is to have the pool under my deck, and get the water into it by other means than direct collection of rain falling from the sky.

My blue tarps would not be permanently placed. They would be temporary in a rain storm. I have too many people near me to just leave things like that sitting outside.
Agreed.

If you really need that water, other people (including your neighbors) are going to be the main threat.

Bird crap will or should be the least of your worries.

Agreed.

If you really need that water, other people (including your neighbors) are going to be the main threat.

Bird crap will or should be the least of your worries.
Re: main threat

Find a need and fill it !

Invest your now resources in tomorrow need.

Can you sell H2O?

Ben

Re: main threat

Find a need and fill it !

Invest your now resources in tomorrow need.

Can you sell H2O?

Ben
In the short term, people will resent having to pay for water (because in normal times it is virtually free).....and that resentment could lead to violence - particularly if they know you have water, you do some bargaining and you discover they have nothing you need or even want. Turning down and turning your back on those who know you have what they need to survive, will never be a good plan.

In the medium term (sometimes called the dying time by survivalism commentators), I assess that interactions of all kinds will be too dangerous. That is the time those that have what they need to hole up for months will survive and those who don't, won't.

Later on, when the situation has reached some new equilibrium, perhaps you could do some trading for water - but if you have an almost unlimited supply of something and they have none, that will always be a source of resentment.

Survivable trading in a WROL world, always needs to leave both parties satisfied.

Maybe, some are starting to "EVER so SLIGHTLY" realize Prepping for Survival is not a kicks and giggle's entertainment thing.

Imagine having to trade your 14 and 16 year-old daughters for a weeks water. Imagine the wife turning tricks for food. There is "WAITING" out there an ungraspably savage and disgusting hell. Read this book, I'll be very impressed if you can even finish a quarter of the book. "NO" it is not a novel. It is disgusting history, of people like you who believed they were civilized.

Read: "The SAVAGE CONTINENT".

The end of World War II in Europe is remembered as a time when cheering crowds filled the streets, but the reality was quite different. Across Europe, landscapes had been ravaged, entire cities razed, and more than thirty million people had been killed in the war. The institutions that we now take for granted—such as police, media, transport, and local and national government—were either entirely absent or compromised. Crime rates soared, economies collapsed, and whole populations hovered on the brink of starvation.

In Savage Continent, Keith Lowe describes a continent where individual Germans and collaborators were rounded up and summarily executed, where concentration camps were reopened, and violent anti-Semitism was reborn. In some of the monstrous acts of ethnic cleansing the world has ever seen, tens of millions were expelled from their ancestral homelands.

Savage Continent is the story of post–war Europe, from the close of the war right to the establishment of an uneasy stability at the end of the 1940s. Based principally on primary sources from a dozen countries, Savage Continent is the chronicle of a world gone mad, the standard history of post–World War II Europe for years to come.

Last edited:
I suggest you not use your filter, to discount that reality. There were no pimps. There was just a disgusting hell, where everyone would do anything for a slice of bread to stay alive one more day. It was not just a town or city; it was an entire continent. It is something we can't even grasp. The reality is you would be not pooping a cap on anyone. You would be starving to death, gasping for water.

Unless ya cap the wannabe pimps first, lol... ;)

In the short term, people will resent having to pay for water (because in normal times it is virtually free).....and that resentment could lead to violence - particularly if they know you have water, you do some bargaining and you discover they have nothing you need or even want. Turning down and turning your back on those who know you have what they need to survive, will never be a good plan.

Unless you turn that confrontation into something useful. Be aware of what is happening ... They are pissed because you have water and they don't. So they smugly sneak in during the night to take your water and who knows what else. You then harvest them with your .30-06 through a window while sitting in your Lazy Boy in a darkened room of your house. Meat for the table!

If things are so bad that you are worried that people will kill you for your supplies, turnabout is fair play. If you are adverse to eating them - you can probably pick up a belt or a pocket knife or something useful out of the deal instead - then throw their naked carcass onto your front lawn as a warning to others. The post-apocalypse is not the time to be squeamish or worry too much about harming someone that is already bent on harming you. Isn't that what tactical shooters have been training and practicing for all along?

I suggest you not use your filter, to discount that reality. There were no pimps. There was just a disgusting hell, where everyone would do anything for a slice of bread to stay alive one more day. It was not just a town or city; it was an entire continent. It is something we can't even grasp. The reality is you would be not pooping a cap on anyone. You would be starving to death, gasping for water.
I cannot understand the "how many sources of water do you have" part of this thread.
When I was growing up in the 60's, I knew of several households that had no electricity and no 'running water'.
They all had a well with a hand-pump in the backyard and they did just fine with only ONE water source.
A long-time friend that lives nearby and is a better prepper than me, had a well drilled in his back yard and put a beautiful all stainless-steel hand pump on it.
Has he ever used it?
No.
If you have one eternal source of water, how many more do you need? :dunno:

Even with deep water hand pumps, there are parts that can wear out. For instance, my pump has a cylinder in the groundwater. The cylinder pushes water up to the surface. It contains several plungers and seals that can wear out. Unless you have a rebuild kit in storage, even people with a pump may be without a nearby clean water source.

1681764994225.png

Someone should start a thread on the third requirement to survive, shelter. Specifically, how are you going to heat your place when the apocalypse happens. Are you able to heat your place without the use of electricity, propane, natural gas, or a local guy delivering firewood, LP, coal, or oil? Do you have a secure source of nearby fuel. Do you have the non-power tools needed to harvest and transport the fuel? Are you physically capable to perform the work necessary to secure the needed fuel to heat your home? Stuff like that.

When I was growing up in the 60's, I knew of several households that had no electricity and no 'running water'.
They all had a well with a hand-pump in the backyard and they did just fine with only ONE water source.
Do the "ELEVEN MILLION" humans in LA all have a Hand pump in their backyard.....??? Do they even have a back yard...???

What about the "TWENTY-TWO MILLION" living in Mexico City......???

Like said earlier in this thread it is "ALWAYS" only those who respond that have the problem solved.

Coupla 'unsolicited Friendly Tips'.. :)
a)
I do have a large inflatable pool to be a reservoir for captured water....
Treating for bird poop...hmmm. I can filter water...

Check out 'No-See-Um' netting, for large-area 'coarse' filtration for Rain-catchment (like yer 'kiddie pool' idea) Sure-protection from: leaves / bugs / bird-scootie, etc.. and May even help with the 'color issue' HC mentioned above (comes in White, Grey ('silver-ish') and Olive Green, and I think even 'Camo', now - any of those should help obfuscate that 'Bird-tempting Blue' nicely. :)

Here's a post with more info / links of the Co we use / like (Great CS 👍 https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/preparations-update.87/page-103#post-436755 :cool:

b)
This discussion reminds me that I want to buy some pool filter sand. Also time to buy more pool shock.

OK.. Here's my .02 about 'pool shock': Keep it for your POOL, and/or, say, if there's ever some 'totally extreme situation', like some Pond that ends-up the Only source of water around - but it's filthy, so you could 'nuke it' with the PS - and Then flocculant / filter / purify, etc.. Again, I - from my own experience - would Only store / use it for an Extreme circumstance..

Here's 'Why': https://www.survivalistboards.com/threads/water-purification-question.979940/#post-21219734 ..yah, if you click on those 'real world testimonials', there.. Not Good experiences.. o_O

..and, here's 'what's (MUCH) better', IMO/E: www.amazon.com/Ef-Chlor-Water-Purification-Tablets-Drops/dp/B08RBSRZW8/ (..and there are Many other size Tabs that will treat from 1L bottles, up to 265 Gallons per Tab. :cool:

jd

For every problem that one person solves and chastises others who haven't solved it, a new problem will pop up that goes the other way. For example, what good are all the wilderness water sources one may have if they suffer a heart attack or severe trauma and die because they are so remote from medical care?

There are many problems that need to be solved if one wants to survive forever. Water, food, communications, medical, shelter, ... lots of things need to be addressed. One location may be good for some of these issues, but really suck for other issues.

60 or 70 firearms, I’m not sure right off hand. I’d have to look in my book.
Water? There’s a well in the front yard, 330 gallon tote for the animals, 200 gallon aerator in the well pump system. And in a long enough outage, there’s a major river two miles away. Saddle up the horse, rig a few cans like saddle bags, and go for a trot. Lever action 30-30 in the saddle scabbard just in case.

I firmly believe that The Lord led my wife and I out here 30 years ago because He wanted to give us a chance against what is surely coming.

Oh, and I’ve got enough ammunition in 21 different calibers and gauges to last a very long time.

...A long-time friend that lives nearby and is a better prepper than me, had a well drilled in his back yard and put a beautiful all stainless-steel hand pump on it.
Has he ever used it?
No.
If you have one eternal source of water, how many more do you need? :dunno:
Agreed. Not sure my township would allow me to drill the well. They even have rules against cutting down trees in my back yard (which is basically just wild forest) without a permit. Granted, everyone ignores those laws. But, if I had a well company come in and dig a well in my backyard on my cul-de-sac...it would surely raise some eyebrows on my street.

I'm planning on moving in about 5-7 years to get my water. The wife and I are talking about the move, and I have mentioned the water requirement as, well, pretty much my only requirement. If the apocalypse comes before that move, I will have to make do with my stored supplies, and rain harvesting, and my ability to defend myself. It will suck. But, it is my reality.

I have a brother-in-law who is totally worthless when it comes to preparing for disaster (he is a minimalist, like my wife...can't stand having anything in the house that hasn't been used in the past 30 days...he goes on and on about how much joy he gets going into his basement to find things to fill up his trash can on trash day). But, if disaster strikes, there is no doubt he will show up at my door, and I will let him in, and he will get the night shift. He's reliable for something like that. He is a competent individual, generally speaking...he just has that Marie-Kondo-minimalist disease that my wife has...which is fine for the good times, I guess. He'll get cured of that pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Grocery stores been selling it for years
Yes. Our guys down here are so awesome, days before a hurricane will land, they already have 4 pallets of bottled water piled up at the front entrance of the store. :thumbs:
You have to push your cart thru a narrow path to even get into the store.

Yes. Our guys down here are so awesome, days before a hurricane will land, they already have 4 pallets of bottled water piled up at the front entrance of the store. :thumbs:
You have to push your cart thru a narrow path to even get into the store.

And yet many will not even take the hint and pass right by that not giving a thought about it. Those are the folks to be far away from.

And yet many will not even take the hint and pass right by that not giving a thought about it. Those are the folks to be far away from.
Most don't pass it up. And those that do, have more stockpiled than I do.
I do have to plead guilty to tossing a case into my cart on the way into the store, even though we keep over 2 months worth in storage. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I say most "Preppers" have only one source of water, a faucet. And yet many choices of firearms. I don't know how long a human can stay alive with zero fluids. I do know from personal experience; without fluids my brain and body functions deteriorate rapidly.
I would never say that most "preppers" only have one source of water. Water is more essentual . I got 3.

I would never say that most "preppers" only have one source of water. Water is more essentual . I got 3.
Most humans live in cities with five to twenty-two million humans. Eleven Million in LA, Nine or Ten million in NYC, Twenty-two (PLUS) million in Mexico City.

Billions "World Wide" have only a faucet for water. They have "THREE to FIVE" days to find water. Can you imagine the stench of eleven million rotting humans in LA.......Add, SF.

I...
Agreed.

Ideally both parties in a financial exchange should benefit from the transaction and feel they got what they wanted.

By the time people are in the market for good clean water they will have learned that it isn't abundant.

In my case I would think that good clean spring water would be a luxury option seeing there is an abundance of ground water streams and creeks as an alternative to the spring water I would be offering. The selling point would be it is spring water cold and fresh the springs vs what the ground water offers in the form of open sewers from upstream ( ever been to Venice????).

While I am willing to share my blessings with others for a mutually amicable exchange I should not squander the money and effort that went into developing the springs (as shown in the below video.)

If I have to accept promissory notes to help with the gardens orchards or vineyard I can use the help.

Stop reset

SW PA like WV has an abundance of water. The Ohio river provides the bulk of the Mississippi river flow and is headwaters in Pittsburgh NW of me by 15 miles or so. I have rarely watered my gardens out of need but only to optimize. We average 141 days a year of rain. Water is not scares here.

Ben

SW PA like WV has an abundance of water. The Ohio river provides the bulk of the Mississippi river flow and is headwaters in Pittsburgh NW of me by 15 miles or so. I have rarely watered my gardens out of need but only to optimize. We average 141 days a year of rain. Water is not scares here.
Certainly not scarce here either (129 days per year), but I will challenge you to how many inches per year you get.
So, whatcha got? :waiting:
I do know that if you dig 3' deep in our back yard, you hit water.:oops:

Most humans live in cities with five to twenty-two million humans. Eleven Million in LA, Nine or Ten million in NYC, Twenty-two (PLUS) million in Mexico City.

Billions "World Wide" have only a faucet for water. They have "THREE to FIVE" days to find water. Can you imagine the stench of eleven million rotting humans in LA.......Add, SF.
If people are still living in the cities, they are not true "preppers". Just sayin.

Latest posts

Back