How many folks cannot do basic sewing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A funny little tidbit- I did find a similar pattern that was off brand. I recently made it. The picture shows much like the two above. I foolishly didn't even think to measure it. It's an apron after all, not a shirt or pants or something. It's a goofy pattern and not proportioned. The bodice of the apron stops right below the breasts and the slightly gathered "skirt" portion starts. Makes it look like a maternity top or baby doll style nighty. :LOL: Neither of which are very becoming or convenient in the kitchen. I'm right at the sm/med break as far as measurements and don't like a lot of fluff around the waist when I'm cooking. Also, the pieces were such that some corners couldn't be finished properly. I think it was one of those things that was printed but never tried, like many recipes in today's magazines.
I tried another style also - completely different. It was so large that I was twisting the fabric of the apron instead of just the ties to get it to stay tied around the waist. My mom is larger than me and loved it at Christmas so I told her to wear it home.
I'm hoping these will be "real" patterns that I can use repeatedly. Thank you for finding this one.

Thank you! What a lovely blog and a great video!
Thanks Weedy. In looking at and for quilting videos, I noticed most are very modern/trendy. One of the things I like about hand quilting is the slower pace and quietness. I didn't really find much along those lines. Maybe it just means I'm old, but I like the traditional ways.

Thanks Weedy. In looking at and for quilting videos, I noticed most are very modern/trendy. One of the things I like about hand quilting is the slower pace and quietness. I didn't really find much along those lines. Maybe it just means I'm old, but I like the traditional ways.
I am more traditional, also. I do know that some people hand piece their quilt tops. My grandmother did some hand piecing when I was growing up. All of my quilt tops have been machine pieced, but the quilts have been hand quilted.

I learned when Home Ec was still a course taught in Junior (better known as Middle School now) High. I went on from there because it was something my mom did and also encouraged me to do. Then I did even more as an adult and made clothing for myself and my kids and home furnishings.

I can do basic sewing as a teen pegged a lot of jeans and slacks.
Hubby can use sewing machine betterthan me though.
Itook home ec too but not for long.

I think you should give it a whirl Meer. Pillow cases are a great way to start- nice long straight lines.
@Meerkat
Agree!
I hope to soon LadyL. Lots going on now but hopfully later . :Thankyou::thumbs:

I believe that one of the challenges for beginning machine sewers is knowing how to use the machine, and how to change stuff up if things are not working right. I have helped many people to get their machine on track just by turning a button, flipping a switch of something simple. I understand how that happens, especially if you are new to the machine. One time, after I had sewn on my machine for years, the feed dogs were turned down by someone else and it took me a little while to figure out how to get them up and working again.

There are several projects that are great for beginners. A friend of mine used to take beginning sewing classes in Denver when she wanted to learn to sew. They were called Sip and Sew. The instructor signed up with local places that had space for her in back rooms and would serve alcohol. I don't drink, and if it were me, I wouldn't be able to sew if I did! But, that might work for some!

One of the classes one evening was to make zippered pouches. I have tried to organize my preps by categories and to keep things like beverages (coffee, teas, etc) together in one place. A pouch that has coffee cups on the outside makes a great way to know that is what is in the pouch. While I have many of my smaller preps in Altoid mint tins, having a cloth pouch that is only as large as what is inside and then gets smaller as the items get used is a good idea, imho. Pouches could be used for first aid (I keep one in my larger purse), fire starting, dental care, spices (salt and pepper, etc.)

I have never made any pouches, but have several from gifts and purchases. I have watched a couple YouTube videos and it truly is not hard to make them.

Latest posts

Back