How much "CASH" should a prepper regularly carry on themselves...???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too was baffled - they have taxis in 'Wilderness Alaska'? :oops::dunno:
read post #10..he has been talking about it since it happened. Came close to being dead !

Anyone can walk down the side of road with a case of beer a full bottle in the other hand and they wont walk far...not even in most remote areas...lol....they will help you with the full cans and bottles...lol

I too was baffled - they have taxis in 'Wilderness Alaska'? :oops::dunno:
YEP, they are called "Air Taxi".

However, I am wintering about 5 or 6 miles outside of a small town. I have no driver's license as I am too blind to pass the required eye test after you turn 67 y/o for renewals. So, I have to take a cab everywhere.

I buy books of vouchers (tickets) each good for up to $17.50 cab fare. They cost me $5.00 each. So, no matter what the meter reads, I just hand a $5.00 voucher. So, I give the drive $3.00 or $5.00. They are very helpful if I need help with heavy packages. Sometimes when I buy groceries, I totally fill the cab everywhere with groceries. Some will just watch me load & unload, but most jump-in and help. I am an old man, but I look and move like I am 106 y/o.

In three weeks, I move back to the cabin. But I am way-way too old to live there, even in the summers. So, I am looking to move here.

I think it would be wise to stash enough cash to pay your property taxes for a year. I always carry a few hundred in cash.
This is what I do. I do get paid in cash sometimes, and I just save it up. I have had enough cash to pay my property taxes a few times.

I think that cash is a mixed thing of having too much or not enough. I rarely use cash when buying, because I like having cash for emergency situations. I do have some larger bills, but I also like to have $20's, $10's, $5's and $1's. I have also saved my change and keep it in small tackle boxes that I have gotten at WM. I rarely do, but if I need change to pay the amount, I can do so. It is a small box, and it can get heavy.
tackle box.JPG

My bill for a certain 30 day period in 94 was $27,000 for the month. ..lol

But project was $75million plus in sales...soooo.

However, I am wintering about 5 or 6 miles outside of a small town. I have no driver's license as I am too blind to pass the required eye test after you turn 67 y/o for renewals. So, I have to take a cab everywhere.

I buy books of vouchers (tickets) each good for up to $17.50 cab fare. They cost me $5.00 each. So, no matter what the meter reads, I just hand a $5.00 voucher. So, I give the drive $3.00 or $5.00. They are very helpful if I need help with heavy packages. Sometimes when I buy groceries, I totally fill the cab everywhere with groceries. Some will just watch me load & unload, but most jump-in and help. I am an old man, but I look and move like I am 106 y/o.

In three weeks, I move back to the cabin. But I am way-way too old to live there, even in the summers. So, I am looking to move here.
So, a ride in an Air Taxi is $17.50 and the plane has a meter in it?

I don't read every post on this forum, so I was unaware of how debilitating of an accident you had. Sorry.

We've been watching a TV series that was done about 10 years ago. The series is about buying a home. Each episode highlights a different couple that wants to buy a house. They give the realtor their preferences and budget. The realtor shows them 3 properties and the couple choses one. There are some pretty interesting properties for sale in AK.

Buying Alaska TV Series

So, a ride in an Air Taxi is $17.50 and the plane has a meter in it?
Come on man...use ya brain...air taxis are for roadless areas only available by plane or chopper....just regular taxis are for roaded areas and close into town.

He was forced out of his home in November by extreme weather event(think Katrina event but snow) and been stuck in town ever since..he arrived in town with only clothes on his back.

Thinking out loud...back in late 90's a guy i know was going to work in a remote hunting camp and take his wife and 3 kids.He asked me about what to expect and about dealing with troubles and what unseen/unknown things could come up.I told him not to go with his family because it was an unknown situation.If he did he should have at least $10k so he could get himself and family out of the bush in an emergency.

If it took two flights to get all of them out of bush...it could depending on aircraft..it could smoke through $5k pretty fast and especially depending on distance traveled...then you needed to get home from whatever drop off point...more flights home from Fairbanks or Anchorage.

Come on man...use ya brain...air taxis are for roadless areas only available by plane or chopper....just regular taxis are for roaded areas and close into town.

He was forced out of his home in November by extreme weather event(think Katrina event but snow) and been stuck in town ever since..he arrived in town with only clothes on his back.
He is a reduced reality when incarcerated on "IGNORE".

Latest posts

Back