How quick can a MOOSE Kill you.....?? Very Fast.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of moose, another thing is you don't want to hit one with your car. Unlike a deer, moose have really long legs. When the car hits a moose, it hits the legs, which causes the entire moose torso to ride up over the hood and smash through the windshield killing everyone in the front seat.
We had that same thing happen when a car hit a horse on the highway back when I was a paramedic. There was no one left to save or treat when we got there.

One coworker was driving across a very rural area in Alaska. Some dirt road in the middle of nowhere IIRC. They saw a moose and stopped the car (remaining inside). The moose decided it didn't like the car and charged it and head butted it several times. Totalled the car. I don't know if the damage was what caused the total, or the fact that it was in the middle of nowhere and retrieval of the vehicle would have been too expensive. Probably a little of both.

A different friend driving on vacation hit a moose with their full sized pickup truck. Totalled the truck. This was right outside of Durango, CO so not a middle-of-nowhere location where the truck was written off due to inaccessibility. Luckily our friend wasn't injured - somewhat of a miracle actually, but a welcome one.

Speaking of moose, another thing is you don't want to hit one with your car. Unlike a deer, moose have really long legs. When the car hits a moose, it hits the legs, which causes the entire moose torso to ride up over the hood and smash through the windshield killing everyone in the front seat.
A friend of mine hit a moose with his car. It rolled the moose over his car hood and put a hoof into his face. He survived but was not pretty. Many operations to straighten him.

We had that same thing happen when a car hit a horse on the highway back when I was a paramedic. There was no one left to save or treat when we got there.

One coworker was driving across a very rural area in Alaska. Some dirt road in the middle of nowhere IIRC. They saw a moose and stopped the car (remaining inside). The moose decided it didn't like the car and charged it and head butted it several times. Totalled the car. I don't know if the damage was what caused the total, or the fact that it was in the middle of nowhere and retrieval of the vehicle would have been too expensive. Probably a little of both.

A different friend driving on vacation hit a moose with their full sized pickup truck. Totalled the truck. This was right outside of Durango, CO so not a middle-of-nowhere location where the truck was written off due to inaccessibility. Luckily our friend wasn't injured - somewhat of a miracle actually, but a welcome one.
I was driving through Canada. I came up over a rise doing about 60MPH when I saw a brown clump about 50 meters off the road. It was a minute or two before I got close enough to positively identify it as a moose. It had been stationary since I noticed it. It charged my car, and it was very fast. I stepped on the gas, and as there was no oncoming traffic, I moved into the opposing lane. The moose, head down, hit me in the right rear wheel. That snapped its neck and threw it back across the road into the ditch. It hit in a good spot for me, not so much for the moose. There was almost no damage to my truck.

Did you know bears (mostly Black Bears) are dying from "BIRD FLU"......????

this reminds me,a year or more back i read a couple places that the gov was doing wildlife experiements and dropped thousands of bait balls loaded with cv vax or whatever---to save wildlife from cv. the experiment took place at differetn parts of different states. seemed kinda creepy and never really heard anything about it afterwards.

and theyre using the ocr to test for bird flu--wildly inaccurate. can make anything look positive for anything

I first learned that moose can be crazy and kill you from a survival book I read in elementary school called GUTS by Gary Paulsen. he wrote the book hatchet which is one of the few survival novels I've read- honestly I ought to reread it (and probably swift arrow too) now that I know what I'm doing..

Anyways yeah I read that moose were batshit crazy, I remember something about the guy getting a lucky break and a crazy moose running past him to maul a tree.

Years later in early adulthood I was hiking alone in montana (not hunting, im not a resident) and came within bowrange of a moose, I drew my gun because the story came to mind and made me feel a little uneasy when we made eye contact.
20180623_144504.jpg

The moose was not even remotely interested and looked at me like I was an idiot... I felt a bit foolish so I took it's picture for my trouble.

I hate feeling like a tourist 😅

I first learned that moose can be crazy and kill you from a survival book I read in elementary school called GUTS by Gary Paulsen. he wrote the book hatchet which is one of the few survival novels I've read- honestly I ought to reread it (and probably swift arrow too) now that I know what I'm doing..

Anyways yeah I read that moose were batshit crazy, I remember something about the guy getting a lucky break and a crazy moose running past him to maul a tree.

Years later in early adulthood I was hiking alone in montana (not hunting, im not a resident) and came within bowrange of a moose, I drew my gun because the story came to mind and made me feel a little uneasy when we made eye contact. View attachment 152832
The moose was not even remotely interested and looked at me like I was an idiot... I felt a bit foolish so I took it's picture for my trouble.

You were ready if it happened!!

There are Moose here (not yet) but they could come here, really dangerous Animals here are currently the highest Wild Boar, but not in the whole Country. There are none here in the Mountains; they would fall down the Rocks everywhere if they found their Way here.

Years later in early adulthood I was hiking alone in montana (not hunting, im not a resident) and came within bowrange of a moose, I drew my gun because the story came to mind and made me feel a little uneasy when we made eye contact. View attachment 152832

Having your gun ready was an extremely prudent idea. I’ve had moose walk up to me just being curious, and as mentioned previously I’ve been attacked by one. They are wild critters and need to be respected. Each critter has its own personality and while you can make generalizations don’t make assumptions, always take precautions. Be ready for an attack.

Latest posts

Back