how to best get rid of this...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonya123

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know a lot of you do lots of projects and maybe have some idea on how to do this.
We have an old "stand" not sure what you call this to shoe horses on. It was here when we got here. It's under a roof area we would love to use to park our truck under but we don't know how to remove it. It's metal posts concreted into the ground. Any suggestions?
thanks in advance!

I know a lot of you do lots of projects and maybe have some idea on how to do this.
We have an old "stand" not sure what you call this to shoe horses on. It was here when we got here. It's under a roof area we would love to use to park our truck under but we don't know how to remove it. It's metal posts concreted into the ground. Any suggestions?
thanks in advance!
Picture would help. Personally I'd probably just cut the post's flush with the floor and call it good.

When I had posts to remove I used a hydraulic engine lift (cherry picker). You can use the shovel on your tractor or even a high lift jack and a piece of rope.

Porta-bandsaw, sawzall , hacksaw, angle grinder, there's a lot of options. For that matter you can break them off by bending them over back & forth until they snap. Might need to push with a truck or something to get the bending started.

If it were me and it is the metal horseshoeing stock, I'd cut the poles at the top and then try to pull them straight up out of the ground. Would be great to dig a hole somewhere else and repurpose as a grapevine line.

Are they anchored in concrete? If so, a concrete pad or more like one would set a fence post in concrete hole?
If set in a concrete pad, a thin cut will probably be your best (safest) bet - suspend it from the frame above w/ ropes/straps so it doesn't pinch your blade. If it's set in "post holes" there might be a way to uproot the whole ensemble???

photos attached
we just have a limited amount of equipment but you can rent most stuff. Just need to figure out easiest way to do that. I think husband tried hitting it with a sledge hammer before and it didn't budge

Attachments

• IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0754.JPG
    IMG_0754.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: Neb
Dig around the concrete, bust some of it with a sledge hammer, cut the metal posts lower tha ground level with a heavy duty metal blade or cutting torch!

If each of the metal posts is just concreted in as if it were a fence post you should be able to just pull them out of the ground and haul them off or reuse for other projects. The Best Fence Post Removal Trick
It's part of a big slab of concrete, not just like fence posts

It does need to be level with the concrete so no metal stumps sticking up
Being a lazy guy I would wrap a 20' 3/8" around it, hook it to the truck and take off fast. The iron posts are plenty strong and you would get a chunk of concrete with each one.
The sensible way would be to have someone bring their cutting-torch rig over and cut them off even with the concrete.
'Back in the day', I would be done in less than 30 minutes. :thumbs:

If you have a Harbor freight or similar discount tool store go and buy the cheapest 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. Ten bucks on sale or a few dollars more normally. Buy a small pack of cut off wheels for it and you are good to go. You can do all sorts of cutting, grinding and polishing with them. it is cheaper than renting. just cut till the unit gets hot to the touch where you hold it then let it cool. I use these all the time n my sculpture buisness.
https://www.harborfreight.com/43-amp-4-12-in-angle-grinder-with-slide-switch-58089.html

If you have a Harbor freight or similar discount tool store go and buy the cheapest 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. Ten bucks on sale or a few dollars more normally. Buy a small pack of cut off wheels for it and you are good to go. You can do all sorts of cutting, grinding and polishing with them. it is cheaper than renting. just cut till the unit gets hot to the touch where you hold it then let it cool. I use these all the time n my sculpture buisness.
https://www.harborfreight.com/43-amp-4-12-in-angle-grinder-with-slide-switch-58089.html
Exactly or order from Amazon or some such

yep. given you have a concrete slab, I'd agree with everyone here that an angle grinder would make quick work of it and get them down smooth with the concrete.

for the cost of renting one you can buy one at harbor freight. get the highest amp you can. it will last longer, and use the 4"x1/16" cutting wheel.

Husband says we gave a angle grinder, but it's a small one. He is going to try it when it warms up some.

You should use a cutting disc rather than a grinding disc, cutting discs are thinner than a standard grinding disc. Cut it off at the concrete then grind down the cut portion to the concrete to smooth it out.

EYE protection a must!

You should use a cutting disc rather than a grinding disc, cutting discs are thinner than a standard grinding disc. Cut it off at the concrete then grind down the cut portion to the concrete to smooth it out.

EYE protection a must!
Yes! Wear eye protection! Got a sliver of steel in my eye a few years ago. Could barely see it in my eye until it started to rust. Went to the Dr and got it removed pretty easily but I was close to a mess.

EYE protection a must!

100% correct. Even if @sonya123 has to leave 1/2" of material above the concrete, then use a grinding disc to flatten the stump even with the pad.

And as someone who works with steel and aluminum everyday, eye protection is paramount, especially when cutting and grinding. Safety glasses at a minimum, but a pair of googles is better or safety glasses and a face shield. Learning how to get a piece of metal out of your eye, although a good skill to have, is not something that I would promote to anyone. (The trick is to find the metal shaving in your eye, then take a new q-tip, wet it and roll the end of it across your eyeball. It will pull the sliver out without scratching your eye.)

Latest posts

Back