How to keep them cool when it's 115+

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Also suggested was frozen peas and corn, cold watermelon. A friend was new to this, watching another friend's house and animals.

This will help for a little bit. Frozen water jugs will last longer but not all the birds will go near them, they are chicken..:D

Put them in the shade where the chicken can lay near or up against them. I've never seen a potty trained chicken but it's not my floor and furniture they'd be making the mess on.:D

Our little almost 5 mon. BRock Lucy has turned into a pet. She doesn't understand why she can't jump on my shoulders anymore.She shows the other hens how to stay cool under the trees now.

I realize they'd make a stink and a mess but some houses can accommodate chickens, like on a breezeway, a garage with A.C., just for emergencies. I'd hate to lose my chickens if I had any.
When I was little, we knew a family that kept their goats IN THE HOUSE. I didn't say we were friends.

Anyway, I think things are going better today. For whatever reason, maybe the coop was too small -- so no kiddie pool. Owners said no on hose and sprinkler. (?) But friend is getting the hens thru it with frequent attention, ice, frozen vegs, lighter feed.

Ours just get under a tree to cool off and come out to sun bathe. And it has been one of the most humid spring and summers ever here with high temps. But this past week it has been less cloudy and no rain much at all.
We had to do extra pen cleaning and more pine shavings with all the humidity.

When I got my new tires last week, it was hot, in the 90's. In the multi-bay garage where the tires were being changed and repaired, the garage doors were open. Inside the garage, above the garage doors were big fans that had misters blowing in front of them, similar to cooling by swamp coolers. I mentioned it to the man who was helping me, he told me the difference is huge.

If you have ever been to one of the major amusement parks such as Universal Studios or Disneyland in California, or other busy places with lines, you might have experienced the misters used to help visitors. They are available online.

I know that misters are much better in hot, arid areas, but the difference is well worth considering in situations such as areas where animals can get overheated. In the low tech version, you just hook it to your garden hose after you have installed the system on your patio or where ever you want to be cooler.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IXIUN4E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back