How to kill weeds & their seeds this time of year?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzoom

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Had a bad case of weeds this year. Have been doing some weeding and weed eating this past week. The weed plants are covered with seeds and I really want them destroyed before they can come back next year.
It's Fall now so I can't tarp them to roast them. Besides me just burning the crap out of them, are there other solutions?
BTW, it's a lot of weeds. Probably a 20x60' area with a foot of weeds dumped in that area.

One thing I keep wanting to do but 90+ temperatures stop me, is laying black plastic down, 3ml. thick, while it is still hot enough, leave it down for several weeks. This is supposed to work. Then rake it up and landscape what you want.
My plan is to use native grasses since they do better in a drought and I shouldn’t have to worry much about watering all summer.

A friend said he dug up the top layer of his yard to get rid of everything, weeds, obnoxious grass. It took a great effort and he’s much younger so easy for him. His yard looks great now.

Some of that stuff has herbal value like chickweed. Have you tried drying some and selling them as herbs? Other than that, I'd get a goat. sorry.

@zoomzoom Still gets hot under the black plastic... if you do it in the hottest time of the year and leave the plastic down long enough, hope it would kill off weeds, greenery, and viability of seeds of weeds.
My friend's yard is almost a half acre. Keep in mind to try it out on a small area first.

Yea, I'm thinking fire is the go-to solution for this time of year.
I have a propane "rose bud" torch and that will be in play. I'll probably spray the crap out of it with alcohol then take the torch to it.
Fire can be the answer to your weed problem at this time of year.
I posted a photo earlier of how we control weeds here using fire.

Last week I found a patch of tansy down by one of our springs. That's the only place that I've ever seen it around here. I hand pulled all I could find. I hope the fire took care of any seeds or other plants.

I'm going to say... all of them. Had to look up their names based on internet pics but this is a start of what I'm dealing with.
Henbit
Pokeweed
Catchweed
Knotweed
Dogbane
Smartweed
Chickweed
Mallow
Purple Deadnettle

You have a preppers medicine garden, why kill it? I know folks who couldn't grow them if they tried.. 🤣

Henbit - food/medicine
Pokeweed - food/ excellent medicine, powerful antiviral, exceptional anti-inflammatory
Catchweed - medicine, wonderful diuretic
Knotweed - powerful medicine for a very wide range of issues.
Dogbane - stems used to make string, thread, rope, baskets, snares, netting, and clothing
Smartweed - food/very good medicine
Chickweed - food
Mallow - several dozen species, some are medicine, some food, some toxic
Purple Deadnettle - food/medicine

Henbit and p deadnettle are classified as winter annuals. They grow in fall, early spring. very temporary. Only live about 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I have used boiling water on a brick walk way, along the edges of a driveway, along a barn or shed wall and like locations.. I had a good fire going in the HOBO wood stove, an old stainless steel 16 liter stock pot and a galvanized bucket to deliver hot water to the sites where it was needed.. It took a couple applications to get maximum results, but worked well...

A propane ...weed burner... does work well in the limited places it can be used...

Latest posts

Back