How well stocked are you with basic hand tools

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of days ago , I was working on my solar electrical system , making sure I have it operating when the big solar storm spitting out those X class C.M.E.'s rolls back to again face earth . I needed to drill a hole , but my electrical drill had given up the ghost . Then I remembered the old manual hand drill that I bought at one of those permanent based flea markets . I limbered it up a little with some W D 40 , popped in a drill bit and drilled my hole . That drill no doubt is many decades old and may have been the first time that drill had been used since the power lines were installed in rural areas .

For all Those Tools ^^^...

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ftsa&q=Solar+Powered+Battery+Chargers&iax=images&ia=images

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-portable-solar-battery-pack/

1716555604736.png

^^^ https://gearjunkie.com/technology/best-portable-solar-chargers

1716555703187.png

^^^ https://gearjunkie.com/technology/best-portable-solar-chargers

and No, I have no connection with any of those...^^^ just showing what They have and Where to find them... 4 YOU...!!!

I thought we were talking about hand tools, not power tools.
So did I but some will always have power tools and Not the Armstrong Type or the Pedal Power Type so I saw the Solar Chargers as there will Always 🐝 a Sun Over head...!!!

the very first video was when it was still in the early stages all of the link stuff was done by myself, that is the idea of most of the things that I build, make it one person.

Not more efficient if is takes two people to operate it. :) And, you still need a way of cutting limbs and such to get them to the bicycle saw. But, I have to say the exercise bicycle saw is a creative idea.
where did it take 2 people to operate in the link I posted?, that was all done by my self, And it showed a better than dragging method of transport providing the snow isn't deep.

where did it take 2 people to operate in the link I posted?, that was all done by my self, And it showed a better than dragging method of transport providing the snow isn't deep.
I didn't see a video, all I saw was three photos when I clicked your link. I assumed from the photos that one person was cycling and another person was laying down the limbs. Now I see the entire thread with the videos. Still, I think I can bow saw faster. :)

What I do like about your set up is that you can sharpen your chains. I can't sharpen a bow saw blade.

I didn't see a video, all I saw was three photos when I clicked your link. I assumed from the photos that one person was cycling and another person was laying down the limbs. Now I see the entire thread with the videos. Still, I think I can bow saw faster. :)

What I do like about your set up is that you can sharpen your chains. I can't sharpen a bow saw blade.
you can sharpen bow saws, it is just more difficult and you need a tooth setting tool. a chain saw has really nice sharpening guides and the tools are far more available. I am also not convinced of the availability of good quality bigger bow saw blades as you had mentioned earlier. You might cut one log faster with a bow saw, but your legs are more likely to last through enough wood to keep you warm

Any kind of hick up can mess things up and disrupt life. Do you have some kind of saw in case a tree block your way, an axe the list goes for ever. do you know how to use a manual saw?? there is a right way.
Okay. I'll make a confession. I don't work with tools - axes, hammers, screw drivers, saws - stuff like that. I can, but I avoid it. My husband has lots of tools out in the garage and he knows how to use them. He can fix almost anything in our home. I don't know what handyman tools he has because I don't look at them - ever. If he asks for a phillips screw driver, I do know which one to get.

So now you know. I'm a girly girl. sigh....😎

No, I don't have an abundance of tools.
I am having fun learning how to operate some cordless drill, circular saw attachment, router attachment to it.
I have a basic hand saw, standard Phillip and flat tip manual screwdrivers.
Basic socket set in standard and metric, Allen wrenches, metric and standard bits.
I have several crowbars, several jimmies (and I know how to use them), locksmith tools,
Anything I will ask for recommendations from the gentlemen(you know what I mean) on the forum.
Neb, hashbrown,Backpacker, Morgan, Pearl, Lady Locust, Amish Heart etc.
People whose opinion I would trust.

I have generations of tools. I have my grandfather's grandfather's broad axe, my great granddad's tool chest, my grandfather's tools, my father's tools plus my own. When I was a kid I had to have my own to be just like granddad and dad. I have barns that american pickers would love to rummage through.

I have generations of tools. I have my grandfather's grandfather's broad axe, my great granddad's tool chest, my grandfather's tools, my father's tools plus my own. When I was a kid I had to have my own to be just like granddad and dad. I have barns that american pickers would love to rummage through.
your work shop is awesome !

No, I don't have an abundance of tools.
I am having fun learning how to operate some cordless drill, circular saw attachment, router attachment to it.
I have a basic hand saw, standard Phillip and flat tip manual screwdrivers.
Basic socket set in standard and metric, Allen wrenches, metric and standard bits.
I have several crowbars, several jimmies (and I know how to use them), locksmith tools,
Anything I will ask for recommendations from the gentlemen(you know what I mean) on the forum.
Neb, hashbrown,Backpacker, Morgan, Pearl, Lady Locust, Amish Heart etc.
People whose opinion I would trust.
Well, dang, I wish I would have made the list :(. The only suggestions I would make are a hand drill and bits, and a bow saw and hatchet/axe to use to cut/split firewood.

I must have posted a photo of it. I recently poured a floor in a addition.and made a long bench for my old rotary tinsmith tools. I need to.get back on that
a long time ago in a galaxy far from here.............enough said.

you can sharpen bow saws, it is just more difficult and you need a tooth setting tool. a chain saw has really nice sharpening guides and the tools are far more available. I am also not convinced of the availability of good quality bigger bow saw blades as you had mentioned earlier. You might cut one log faster with a bow saw, but your legs are more likely to last through enough wood to keep you warm
I googled bow saw blade sharpening and found that I do not need a tooth setting tool. I'm going to try to sharpen and old blade and see how it does.

I'm not a carpenter, builder or anything like, but I probably have enough of the basic hand tools to keep things running around the house. The one issue I currently have is pliers walking off. The slip-joint and channel-locks - I don't like those tools much (although they are indeed useful). I think because I don't really like them, that's why I can always find a herd of them in every size imaginable. The kinds I like better - linesman's pliers, diagonal cutters, things like that - those are the ones that tend to disappear (they must know I like them, so they want to screw me over by hiding). I've never had a pair of fencing pliers - probably because I have never maintained/constructed a significant length of wire fence in my life - but I'm thinking of getting a pair because they look to (maybe) be generally useful. For pulling nails out, for cutting heavier gauge wire, for twisting wire. I do this kind of stuff, just not in the context of building a fence. Once in a blue moon I'll need some oddball special use type of pliers. So I've been thinking of buying a nice plier assortment to fill in the AWOL ones and get a few of the less common specialty ones. Any suggestions for types of pliers to get, and what brand would be appreciated. I want neither low end nor high end - I want something from the middle durable enough for light homeowner type work over the next decade to decade and a half.

Latest posts

Back