How well stocked are you with basic hand tools

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I googled bow saw blade sharpening and found that I do not need a tooth setting tool. I'm going to try to sharpen and old blade and see how it does.

that was a pretty good demo video, one thing that I have found is that even new bow saw blades usually need the cutting teeth set, setting tools used to be really common a yard sales and second hand tool stores, because no one knows what they are for, A bow saw is a very handy tool when it us used right and in good shape.

In my stuff I have a chunk of railroad rail maybe 6 inches long. It had belonged to my great grandfather. He had my grandfather mill a bevel on one side. My great grandfather used it to set teeth on big crosscut saws gently using a hammer. I wonder if this method would work on a bowsaw blade. Maybe utilizing a chunk of hardwood.

I have more saw tools than a person could imagine but am always thinking field expedient

I googled bow saw blade sharpening and found that I do not need a tooth setting tool. I'm going to try to sharpen and old blade and see how it does.

Thanks for posting that video. Seeing it.. I remembered watching my grandfather sharpen a crosscut free hand. I was maybe 9 or 10... He used a file, a vice and a small hammer. A good memory i'd forgotten til now. :)

that was a pretty good demo video, one thing that I have found is that even new bow saw blades usually need the cutting teeth set, setting tools used to be really common a yard sales and second hand tool stores, because no one knows what they are for, A bow saw is a very handy tool when it us used right and in good shape.
I know with the big two-man crosscut saws you need setting tools. Also, the wood framed double-handled saws (not sure what these saws are called) need blades to be set. Both types of saws have relatively thick steel blades. My bow saws have thin, spring-steel blades. I do not believe they need aligning with a setting tool.

I know with the big two-man crosscut saws you need setting tools. Also, the wood framed double-handled saws (not sure what these saws are called) need blades to be set. Both types of saws have relatively thick steel blades. My bow saws have thin, spring-steel blades. I do not believe they need aligning with a setting tool.
keep it simple.

No, I don't have an abundance of tools.
I am having fun learning how to operate some cordless drill, circular saw attachment, router attachment to it.
I have a basic hand saw, standard Phillip and flat tip manual screwdrivers.
Basic socket set in standard and metric, Allen wrenches, metric and standard bits.
I have several crowbars, several jimmies (and I know how to use them), locksmith tools,
Anything I will ask for recommendations from the gentlemen(you know what I mean) on the forum.
Neb, hashbrown,Backpacker, Morgan, Pearl, Lady Locust, Amish Heart etc.
People whose opinion I would trust.
I bought a few new tools today.
These will help me on my project while I learn new life skills.
I bought ratchet straps to help hold everything together while I get screws or nails into it.
I also bought an 7 inch Rafter Angle Square.
If Tommy Silva on this "Old House" recommends this, I thought maybe I should have one too.

I bought a few new tools today.
These will help me on my project while I learn new life skills.
I bought ratchet straps to help hold everything together while I get screws or nails into it.
I also bought an 7 inch Rafter Angle Square.
If Tommy Silva on this "Old House" recommends this, I thought maybe I should have one too.
Love "This Old House!"

If you don't need one it is ok , I know that a modern bow saw work way better in green limb wood with a much more aggressive set. nice dry wood not needed as much and the narrower kerf the easier to saw

Detcord!
No, really a chain to drag the tree top to one side of the road.
I have three chain saw & a battery limbing saw, two axes.
A cell phone to notify police.
If it on the farm, then a front loader, backhoe, three tractors, only two are mine.
Have a log splitter too. If it is oak, then brisket coming out of the freezer.

Detcord!
No, really a chain to drag the tree top to one side of the road.
I have three chain saw & a battery limbing saw, two axes.
A cell phone to notify police.
If it on the farm, then a front loader, backhoe, three tractors, only two are mine.
Have a log splitter too. If it is oak, then brisket coming out of the freezer.
For some reason, probably because this thread was posted in the Prepping Forum, I was under the impression that being stocked with basic hand tools were for use after the SHTF. Any tool powered by gasoline or electricity most likely could not be used post-SHTF.

For some reason, probably because this thread was posted in the Prepping Forum, I was under the impression that being stocked with basic hand tools were for use after the SHTF. Any tool powered by gasoline or electricity most likely could not be used post-SHTF.
yes that was kind of my point, but it has really stayed on track, quite a record for us. even if I had engines and fuel. If there was an end of the world as we know it style event. I would want to be as quiet as possible for at least a week. prolly 2

Any kind of hick up can mess things up and disrupt life. Do you have some kind of saw in case a tree block your way, an axe the list goes for ever. do you know how to use a manual saw?? there is a right way.
Man Never has enough tools it seems...it like shoes for ladies..haha. But, I am liking all the battery powered tools available now, not too much a person cant do with these, easily portable, easy to charge with a simple solar system or small gen. I have made it part of my bunker kit. Not too mention that I have collected a lot of hand tools over the years being a tradesman.

yes that was kind of my point, but it has really stayed on track, quite a record for us. even if I had engines and fuel. If there was an end of the world as we know it style event. I would want to be as quiet as possible for at least a week. prolly 2
There are ways to use wood & alcohol to replace gas. But to non power hand tools, bow saw & folding saw loppers, hand spears, cross cut one handle. But if you do not have a wagon & a team of mules/ horses, why do you need to clear the road in the first place?

I am well stocked in almost every area. I even have spares to put multiple people to work. I am lacking in blacksmithing, leather working, bookbinding, and foundry but have enough to cover if need be. The big thing I am lacking is a boiler to run my steam engine.

Ben

I am well stocked in almost every area. I even have spares to put multiple people to work. I am lacking in blacksmithing, leather working, bookbinding, and foundry but have enough to cover if need be. The big thing I am lacking is a boiler to run my steam engine.

Ben

That's awesome. I have a old twin cylinder locomobile engine and a vertical boiler. What I don't have is replacement bearings for the engine. Every once in awhile I'll do a web search.

That's awesome. I have a old twin cylinder locomobile engine and a vertical boiler. What I don't have is replacement bearings for the engine. Every once in awhile I'll do a web search.
What kind of bearings?

Mine uses ball bearings on the ends and split bronze bearings for the inner bearings.

Ben

They are a weird tapered bearing. Detroit bearing and places like that have nothing
like a tapered roller, or a tapered shell type bearing or something entirely different?

like a tapered roller, or a tapered shell type bearing or something entirely different?
I don't know. It had belonged to my grandfather. He was a blacksmith turned welder turned machinist. He built anything. He was stumped on a replacement bearing but the clock ran out on him. He had a reference library full of catalogs from Detroit bearing and places like that. This was long before the world wide web

I don't know. It had belonged to my grandfather. He was a blacksmith turned welder turned machinist. He built anything. He was stumped on a replacement bearing but the clock ran out on him. He had a reference library full of catalogs from Detroit bearing and places like that. This was long before the world wide web
oh boy if he was stumped with that kind of back ground, when you could talk to actual knowledgeable parts people, it will be a challenge now A person would need to take it apart and see what they are, and try to find something that could work, my guess would be that the taper would also act as a thrust surface. but with out actually seeing, it is just a stab in the dark

Any kind of hick up can mess things up and disrupt life. Do you have some kind of saw in case a tree block your way, an axe the list goes for ever. do you know how to use a manual saw?? there is a right way.
No I don’t know how to use a manual saw or a shovel either- nope I have no clue 🫣

oh boy if he was stumped with that kind of back ground, when you could talk to actual knowledgeable parts people, it will be a challenge now A person would need to take it apart and see what they are, and try to find something that could work, my guess would be that the taper would also act as a thrust surface. but with out actually seeing, it is just a stab in the dark
My idea is to grease the bearing holders and fill with plaster of Paris or suchlike. Pull that out and have it cast from brass. Then bore out the center for a bearing that fits the crank shaft. Probably would have to make a retainer of sorts. I just need to get around to it

Do they still make Babbitt bearing, I know they make the hammer for machinist dead blow hammers.
you pretty much have to pour your own, but with a decent mask it isn't nearly as dangerous as it once was, unless you spill it on your self . I think an old auto motive battery would supply the lead in a pinch, like post shtf

Yes. I have a thing for tools and have a natural mechanical aptitude to use them properly and efficiently.

I was a heavy equipment tech for awhile and the company provided me with a truck that was essentially a shop on wheels with a welder, air compressor, oxy/acetylene torch, hydraulic boom with winch, tool box, cabinets, and rear bumper was a solid work bench with a vise. But… I had to stock the truck with tools. Most of my work was done in the field but I also had a stall in the shop… so I had tool boxes with tools there. I also had tools in garage at home, tools in my personal truck, tools in house. I suppose I have enough.

Latest posts

Back