How well stocked are you with basic hand tools

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@joel The problem with any type of bearing is the hardness scale of the material.

You need to get all of the info from the engine, cylinder size, micrometer readings of the journals and the crankshaft and then probably get some information from one of the old steam train restorers for the location of the manufacturer.

A lot of those were extremely reliable sources of power and VERY strong the boiler is the weakest point.

You may also get some info from some of the old steam farm equipment clubs.

I had the steam engine magazine at one time, they had a machinist magazine too.
Not sure where they are now.
I have rebuild gear boxes & photo each step, so the next mechanic would have a template to go by, because we did not have one.
The manufactory had all the parts for the rebuild, then the very next year, they remover the gear boxes for a new, better system.
So that was a waste of time. Things like that did not happen much, but at least I got paid for my work, that about all you can ask for.

It was some kind of roller bearing as I remember it. It's not split like a babbit bearing. I have at least a 100 pounds of babbitt, probably more. High speed and low speed babbit. My grandad did a lot of babbit bearings.
I kind of figured he would have been fully aware or the whole babbit thing, It is easy to theorize what it might be, when ever I have To rebuild something strange, or obsolete with bearing issues I try to see if there is a way to use tapered rollers, if they can be retained, most surface area and great in a thrust application

Latest posts

Back