HPD tells medical marijuana cardholders to turn in guns

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Member Extraordinaire
Neighbor
HONOLULU -

Honolulu Police Department's telling all medical marijuana card holders who own firearms to turn in their guns.

In a letter dated November 13th new Chief of police Susan Ballard states card-holders have 30 days to surrender weapons, permits, and ammunition to HPD or to transfer ownership.

According to the letter, the only way card-holders can get their weapons back is to get clearance from their doctors.

http://www.kitv.com/story/36947935/hpd-tells-medical-marijuana-cardholders-to-turn-in-guns

I wonder if that move is related to the SOCTUS refusing to hear the Kolbe v. Hogan or Norman v. Florida gun rights cases? Both of which I think were related to defining what is a reasonable restriction from Heller.

Aside from the sorry state of SCOTUS, Hawaii&California are by administration rogue states with no interest in or respect for the Constitution. The process of expulsion should have already begun.

I'm not sure how I feel about it , cause it does not apply to me.

For what it's worth, on the ATF E Form 7, revised May 2017..

30. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance? Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

Hawaii has mandatory registration. I wonder how many will lose their $$$/guns or maybe they can "turn in" their medical marijuana card.

"According to the letter, the only way card-holders can get their weapons back is to get clearance from their doctors."
Didn't the doctor give the approval or prescription in the first place?

As most of us know, the revised 4473 form does mention medical marijuana (I believe that it is unlawful to disclose the exact nature of the 4473 questions).
However, preventing a new purchase is VERY different from demanding people to turn in what they already own.

Update-

HONOLULU -

A letter from the Honolulu Police Department was posted on social media and caused commotion and confusion.

It stated medical marijuana use disqualifies people from owning guns.

HPD sent the letters out to at least 30 registered gun owners who also hold Medical Marijuana cards since January.

The letters to those 30 people say they have 30 days to surrender or transfer ownership of their firearms.

The confusion, some of which through social media, was that all gun owners who hold a medical marijuana card would have to turn in their weapons in as well.

That's not the case. HPD is currently reviewing its policy.

There are nearly 20,000 registered medical marijuna patients in Hawaii.

Island News was told, the number of those who also have guns hasn't been tallied.

HPD says the only way it knows if someone has both a firearms permit and a medical marijuana card is if that person tries to get another gun, after they got their card.

Their name would then be flagged in HPD's database and receive a letters that says they need to surrender all of their current weapons.

Aside from the 30 individuals who already received the letter, other gun owners who also use medical marijuana could fly under the HPD's radar if they remain status quo, as long as they don't go in for a new permit.

Still, gun advocates say this system isn't right.

"If it's medicine and it's not being given to you for a medically disqualifying characteristic in your personality, it shouldn't be illegal, they should not be able to take away your constitutional right because you're taking legal medicine," Harvey Gerwig with the Hawaii Rifle Association said.

Gerwig hopes HPD backs off of its policy because he believes it could end up with lawsuits.

HPD's current policy requires gun owners to get a doctor's clearance before getting their guns back.

Those owners would also have to give up their medical marijuana cards and wait for a full year before getting that clearance.

http://www.kitv.com/story/36968204/...marijuana-users-are-not-qualified-to-own-guns

I'm not sure that's constitutional. If they already owned firearms before the MMC came into play, I think those are safe.

However, they cannot purchase one anymore unless they lie on the 4473.

Where does it stop? What if somebody is on Prozac? Do you take their gun away for that? How about Zanex? At the state level Marijuana is just as legal as other prescription drugs. Marijuana is commonly being prescribed as a treatment for PTSD. They'll use any excuse to take the guns.

The people that should be concerned is the ones that have to register their firearms due to STATE laws..especially if it is legal to use marijuana for recreational and/or medicinal purposes. Maybe the next to worry is Military Veterans who are being treated and compensated by the VA for PTSD/PTSS.
and those who are falsely claiming PTSD/PTSS to increase their percentage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn in my guns because I toke medical Mary Jay...?

7D621BBF-6EE7-474A-AD4D-FEA93DA36BF9.jpeg

So what stops them from taking all guns from anyone who takes any medicine now? It's a BS slippery slope the liberals are using. This shows the true colors of what these gun grabbing scumbags want. THEY pushed for medical and recreational marijuana and now they want to enforce BS laws on a whim? What if i use Tramadol for Diabetic neuropathy? What if i use LYRICA for nerve pain? What if I use Metformin for Diabetes and it's possible it could make people dizzy? Look at the warning on THE PILL......It can kill and maim in a thousand ways.....What if a symptom occurs while handling a gun? Yes these are ridiculous. No the HPD has no damn right to pull this crap! It's the left NAZI way.....

Actually I believe if a person is on anti depressants they could be declined a gun purchase. I knew a man that was on them and his doctor said if he had guns then he should get them out of the house because some people become suicidal while using anti depressants. I never saw anyone using MJ that had suicidal thoughts. But MJ is more dangerous than prescription anti depressants. What a poor FDA joke that is.

I remember back in the early 70's a bunch of us went to see the movie Refer Madness which was a govt. propaganda film made back in the 30's I believe. There was a man and his wife all dressed up sitting behind us and they were the only people not laughing. We guessed they came to the movie thinking they could learn the dangers of MJ. One girl behind me said oh it's in black and white and her friend said she was seeing all kinds of colors. LMAO oh the dangers of using MJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update- (no changes)

Medical marijuana industry experts say valid users might be saying bye to getting high legally

Posted: Dec 08, 2017 8:20 PM EST <em class="wnDate">Friday, December 8, 2017 8:20 PM EST</em>Updated: Dec 08, 2017 8:20 PM EST <em class="wnDate">Friday, December 8, 2017 8:20 PM EST</em>
By Brenton Awa
http://www.kitv.com/story/30319689/brenton-awa

HONOLULU -

There are nearly 20,000 registered medical marijuana patients in Hawaii.

The number continues to climb each month, but industry experts say valid users might soon be saying bye to legally getting high.

A medical marijuana patient wanting to conceal his identity told Island News he feels the privacy of patients are being invaded.

The Honolulu Police Department made its policy clear to Medical Marijuana patients last month, if you're in the program, you can't register for any new guns.

The Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii says many patients were unaware that HPD had any involvement with the program and are now wondering what else they can be denied of.

Some patients told Island News, they will not renew their cards once it expires. Others are looking at ways to un-register altogether.

http://www.kitv.com/story/37029139/...s-might-be-saying-bye-to-getting-high-legally

Update- (no changes)

Medical marijuana industry experts say valid users might be saying bye to getting high legally

Posted: Dec 08, 2017 8:20 PM EST <em class="wnDate">Friday, December 8, 2017 8:20 PM EST</em>Updated: Dec 08, 2017 8:20 PM EST <em class="wnDate">Friday, December 8, 2017 8:20 PM EST</em>
By Brenton Awa

HONOLULU -

There are nearly 20,000 registered medical marijuana patients in Hawaii.

The number continues to climb each month, but industry experts say valid users might soon be saying bye to legally getting high.

A medical marijuana patient wanting to conceal his identity told Island News he feels the privacy of patients are being invaded.

The Honolulu Police Department made its policy clear to Medical Marijuana patients last month, if you're in the program, you can't register for any new guns.

The Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii says many patients were unaware that HPD had any involvement with the program and are now wondering what else they can be denied of.

Some patients told Island News, they will not renew their cards once it expires. Others are looking at ways to un-register altogether.

http://www.kitv.com/story/37029139/...s-might-be-saying-bye-to-getting-high-legally
See what you get with registering with the government. Oh look your registered so now WE have a license to make up any law we want against you. No wonder we fight for the 2A so hard!

See what you get with registering with the government. Oh look your registered so now WE have a license to make up any law we want against you. No wonder we fight for the 2A so hard!
Correct. Australians obediently registered their guns...
gun-dumping.jpg

AUS_guns.jpg

The rest, as they say, is history.

Back