I have a question

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed from your other post you haven't yet decided where you're moving to. The answer to which piece of equipment is best lies in the property it's self. Are you building a home? How much land and the purpose? A small garden, acreage for crops or livestock?

I'd spend time just familiarizing myself with each piece of equipment. The land will determine which is best.

A tractor will be easier to work on but a skidsteer can get into some tight spaces. Depending on the tractor size it will probably be lighter.

Personally for a farm I like a tractor. There are many more attachments for a tractor, especially if you have the skidsteer quick change setup on the loader arms. This way you can use attachments from both.

Keep all of the above advice in mind, and depending on your skill set also consider some outside the box machines. like the ditch witch for instance. they are very modular and can come cheap as a used machine. A skidsteer is a short life machine, compared to a farm tractor. the skidsteer is however a far superior loader, but not very practical for one person operations which require a load to be attached manually, as with a chain or sling.

I noticed from your other post you haven't yet decided where you're moving to. The answer to which piece of equipment is best lies in the property it's self. Are you building a home? How much land and the purpose? A small garden, acreage for crops or livestock?

I'd spend time just familiarizing myself with each piece of equipment. The land will determine which is best.
We will be building a Metal home/barndominium type. Plan on having some livestock at some point and definitely getting acreage. No commercial crop though just for our selfs and farmers markets

The skid steer, even a small one, will tear up the ground every time you turn a corner. With hydraulics a tractor can be fitted with a front bucket that will do most of what the skid steer can and with a 3 point hitch can do a lot more. Back hoe, tiller, disking and hole digger and many more attachments are available. I would also advise that you get more tractor than you think you need.

Then you have need of a tractor first, imho. With acreage you'll need a pto drive on a tractor for. 1) bush hogging brush, fence lines, keep lanes open, plowing fire breaks 2) producing hay for livestock, hay mower & baler 3) even a garden 1 acre in size is much better tended with hydraulics/plows of a small tractor. 2 or 3 acres of produce definitely needs mechanization with only 2 people to caring for it.

If you are building the structure your self, you may want to look into a zoom boom type machine, I think the one aimed at agriculture have a PTO and three point hitch.

Tractor, Model L4701,Front loader/ Grill Guard LA765, Backhoe BH92,
Rotary Cutter RCR1872, 74" LT Duty Rota tiller, 72" Ligth Duty Box blade.
But that just what I would do or did.
I have a post hole auger, hay baler, hay rake,Sickle Bar Mower, turn plow & disk harrow.

Skidsteer. X10

I had both. The skidsteer is by far the better tool. Tractor with a bucket was a mistake, almost useless for me.
I have seen the Skidsteer in contruction & it is very versatile, but the combo frontloader & Backhoe is best for my needs.
I almost bought a skidsteer, but in the end it was not for me.

I have a post hole auger, hay baler, hay rake,Sickle Bar Mower, turn plow & disk harrow.
I was just looking at that model. Read somewhere doing a search to get a tractor that’s between 40-50hp. The other use I would want it for is to help take out stumps if I get a wooded lot.

God has smiled on you!

Ben

I was just looking at that model. Read somewhere doing a search to get a tractor that’s between 40-50hp. The other use I would want it for is to help take out stumps if I get a wooded lot.
I cut ten acres of pine timber from our 19 acres & one of the main reason
for a backhoe is to dig stumps & it does a great job.
Also the frontloader is a gaint shovel or wheelbarrow.

I too vote for a tractor. Not as fast as a skidsteer but much more versatile.
This was the case for us. Hubs has a Mahindra with many attachments and he uses it all the time. The tractor has a bucket, forks, or grapple for the front.....and on the rear he can put his brush hog, snow blower, back blade, discs, tiller, landscape rake, and of coarse can pull various trailers. As someone else mentioned, it is also a lot easier on the lawn, field, or roads than a skid steer would be. I think if he ever had to give up one piece of equipment, the tractor would likely be the last one he would part with.

Last edited:
From my experience -

The skid loader excels in feedlot operations. The maneuverability can't be beat. It is also good for certain jobs like brush clearing *on level ground*. I can't stress that enough. Skid loaders do not like rough ground or slopes. They also have very little clearance for deep mud. If you have a quick attach system they're pretty good for construction sites. They can run a lot of attachments on the front that way.

Tractors are better for everything else. If you're running a large acreage/small farm you need a tractor. It can do most anything a skid can do, but it won't be near as handy for some jobs. If I were you I'd get a tractor first, but your post doesn't give enough details to know exactly how you'd be using the machine to know for sure what would be best for you...

Latest posts

Back