I know nothing about Prepping

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Few people post what they truly believe. People post what "They WANT" to believe.
I can't post everything I believe, the alphabet soup guys would pay me a visit, wondering where I get my info, and "interdimensional cat women in blue spandex" told me is NOT an acceptable answer!
Likewise, my opinions about certain people would get me hounded to death. you can't believe the pudding storm that happened when I suggested on Farcebook that the good people of Chicago need to form civilian militias to run the gangs out and protect their interests. Likewise dredging out the Rio Grand to make it deeper and swifter wasn't well-liked, oddly, most of the flack from that came from Europe. Ah, but that was before they were stormed with their own illegal aliens. Now I'll bet a natural barrier looks pretty good to them!

You mean the govt.... to put us in camps or a higher power like God? Serious question.
People can't get past the idea someone will help them. The church, the neighbors, family members, their social club, the Catholic Social Services, The Red Cross.........Surely someone will help. Surely it is not possible that they will die. People can't comprehend, "NO ONE is COMING to SAVE YOU"......your going to die.

Some know that had that reality smashed into my head Nov. 17, 2023

I lost that mindset when my back went to crap and all my "church buddies" forgot where I lived.
Become bitter.
become angry.
live longer.
A dose of reality is good for you, like a spring tonic and a shot of good moonshine!
both tend to kill parasites!

People can't get past the idea someone will help them. The church, the neighbors, family members, their social club, the Catholic Social Services, The Red Cross.........Surely someone will help. Surely it is not possible that they will die. People can't comprehend, "NO ONE is COMING to SAVE YOU"......your going to die.
Now I get your meaning and agree, except for the die part. It can't happen to me. lol

Last edited:

Some know that had that reality smashed into my head Nov. 17, 2023
Since you were always very well prepped, and have first-hand knowledge, please share what you experienced when winter descended on your cabin in the wilderness...
Did you run out of food, water, firewood, gasoline, power, or ammo?
What did you learn?
1. Don't live by yourself.
2. Have a BOL (bug-out-location) you can go to where people can help you.
29. No matter how much you prep, it will only take you longer to die.

Trying to get back on topic of prepping. I think prepping is a very personal thing that requires looking at your self in the mirror and asking what could happen today that would really mess with my day and am I prepared for that...

For me it was the little stuff at first, power outages, being snowed in, losing my job, or having enough supplies to get through the first 6 months of a pandemic.... And there is always the SHTF events, there are a multitude of scenarios that could push us over the edge of reason.

Look at what worries you and then break it down to what you need and for how long.
Power outage is usually just a couple of days
My first Snowed In event was 2 weeks
Changing jobs, my experience was 6 weeks without an income
Seeing store shelves empty during the early pandemic was unnerving, and until they developed a good treatment people were dying. We saw that as a 6 month preview of what could happen... Had this been a real emergency it could have been BAD...

Then break it down to the basics, not in any special order:
Money,
Food,
Water,
Shelter,
Training/skills,
Power,
First-aid/Medical,
Clothing,
Security....

Take the easiest first (your short term event) and make a plan to address it.
.....Then execute what's in your plan.
...........Never pass up an opportunity to learn from a harsh life lesson, after you endure the event do a de-brief to learn what worked, what didn't work, and what would have made it better, make a plan to be prepared for it the next time, execute the plan.
Once you think you are prepared for that event move to the next longer term event.

Prepping becomes a life style because there is always something that you missed, you learn something new, or a longer term threat becomes clear to you.

As you become more prepared you will become better informed, which will lead to more prepping.
As your situation or family changes (grows or shrinks) your prepping needs will change too.

Word of caution, don't get to wrapped up in the expensive stuff at the beginning.
Water, beans, and rice are cheap and you can use them every day (they have a high benefit to cost ratio).
Firearms are expensive and the likelihood that you will use one is low (they have a low benefit to cost ratio), don't get me wrong, they have a place but not at the top of the list.

When investing be wise and methodological in acquiring and maintaining your preparations.
Don't go into debt worrying about something that might happen - Y2K was the biggest non-event in history and a lot of people wasted a lot of money trying to prepare for it.

I just learned a lot about perimeter alarms. I'm somewhat "alarmed" because I thought such devices and contrive ments were illegal? Poor man's James Bond kinda stuff? Anyway, I hope to apply and modify a device to help with my ongoing gopher "intrusion". I suppose it was easy for the Viet cong to apply their farming applications to their latest intrusion?

I have two versions of understanding preparedness. The early version applied by my grandparents from living through the depression era and my dad from living through a civil war era (same sorta depression). My second version understanding is a little more perplexing?

The worst than expected, apocalypse types? The mind folly of disappointment because nothing bad enough is happening? Hoping for the worst so that they may realize hero status... Finally! And bitter that the doom hasn't become?

<snipped> ... prepping is simple as being prepared for what you can see coming down the road and even considering worst case possibilities that may be random or not... and thinking about what's necessary to survive under duress. <snipped>
Fabulous definition!

Like the title says, I know nothing about prepping. Help me understand it more. For instance, what are you prepping for: A shortage of goods like we had on toilet paper or a breakdown of society like Road Warrior? And I "assume" that the difference in those 2 examples would wildly differ in how you prep. Like I've heard talk about buying silver & gold. Gold I don't understand unless you using it as a hedge for stocks or cash. But in the RWarrior type prepping I would think that it wouldn't be valuable. Even silver wouldn't mean as much as gas or bullets. So please explain to me what you're expecting might happen & how you prep for it.
I will be happy to explain MY reasons
Were you around when Katrina hit? Were you anywhere close that was affected?
I am not a doomsday prepper. I am a guy that is looking out for my family,
Let me explain
I was know as a nut job for storing food
I feed My family and 2 other families for 2 weeks during katrina
Seems Inam no longer a nut and those families are now " preppers".
I have no idea what lays ahead. But I do know that if either an act of God or act of man disrupts transportation, communication. Stores will run out of food.

That said

Can you survive "right now". For a period of 2 weeks or longer if you can not buy food ? Or water ?

You say that you would use bullets as cash for trading.
What are you going to use to hunt with after you have traded all your bullets?

I personally , and this is just my opinion believe things like cigerettes booze and a long list off other items are a far better investment than silver or gold. Others disagree. That's ok.

So to sum up my reasons, plane and simple to take care of my family

My question was not meant to be ignored
Could you and your family survive 2 weeks with out food, power, water ??
The reason why , be it nature or turmoil really does not matter

What is a zombie ?

Zombies are those that do not store food and other items for survival in case of disaster

Zombies will roam pillage , kill, to find food that is not to be found

Zombie killers are those that have the wherewithal to have stored supplies and will protect them

I will be happy to explain MY reasons
Were you around when Katrina hit? Were you anywhere close that was affected?
I am not a doomsday prepper. I am a guy that is looking out for my family,
Let me explain
I was know as a nut job for storing food
I feed My family and 2 other families for 2 weeks during katrina
Seems Inam no longer a nut and those families are now " preppers".
I have no idea what lays ahead. But I do know that if either an act of God or act of man disrupts transportation, communication. Stores will run out of food.

That said

Can you survive "right now". For a period of 2 weeks or longer if you can not buy food ? Or water ?

You say that you would use bullets as cash for trading.
What are you going to use to hunt with after you have traded all your bullets?

I personally , and this is just my opinion believe things like cigerettes booze and a long list off other items are a far better investment than silver or gold. Others disagree. That's ok.

So to sum up my reasons, plane and simple to take care of my family

The reason why , be it nature or turmoil really does not matter

The quick answer is yes but I think we could survive closer to 2 months. Kitrina didn't bother us but we got some nasty weather from Ika. I have been thinking about buying a generator for our house too. Electricity isn't a big deal except for our freezers & I worry about that. Cooking isn't a problem, we have gas heat & cooking plus I have a saw & trees.
That's a good question that everyone should ask themselves.

I just learned a lot about perimeter alarms. I'm somewhat "alarmed" because I thought such devices and contrive ments were illegal? Poor man's James Bond kinda stuff? Anyway, I hope to apply and modify a device to help with my ongoing gopher "intrusion". I suppose it was easy for the Viet cong to apply their farming applications to their latest intrusion?

I have two versions of understanding preparedness. The early version applied by my grandparents from living through the depression era and my dad from living through a civil war era (same sorta depression). My second version understanding is a little more perplexing?

The worst than expected, apocalypse types? The mind folly of disappointment because nothing bad enough is happening? Hoping for the worst so that they may realize hero status... Finally! And bitter that the doom hasn't become?
When did an alarm become illegal?
I think you need to do a little research
Also. Perhaps you can answer this
If there is no government. Then what law care you talking about?
With the collapse ( heaven forbid) of government then only the law that exists is the strongest survives that is natures law

The quick answer is yes but I think we could survive closer to 2 months. Kitrina didn't bother us but we got some nasty weather from Ika. I have been thinking about buying a generator for our house too. Electricity isn't a big deal except for our freezers & I worry about that. Cooking isn't a problem, we have gas heat & cooking plus I have a saw & trees.
That's good. Prepping is not all doom and gloom. Now extend the 2 weeks to 2 months? Then to 6 months
Do you have gardening skills? Do you have critters for meat?
Can you fix "any damn thing with nothing".
Do you have tools, can you weld
In. Other words are you self sufficient?

Little tibbit about Gas heat and cooking, If you are hooked to a piped in system, most of the compressor stations are remote controled, and may shut down along with the grid. something to check into

When did an alarm become illegal?
I think you need to do a little research
Also. Perhaps you can answer this
If there is no government. Then what law care you talking about?
With the collapse ( heaven forbid) of government then only the law that exists is the strongest survives that is natures law
Alarms are NOT illegal, it's when you wire them up and turn them into proximity mines that you get problems.
I used a stack of beer cans with a few rocks in them tied together with monofilament for decades. it stopped two would-be burglars and one clumsy FBI op who was making sure my neighbor stayed put before he took his iron bar motel vacation. the guy was a complete idiot! first, he got wound up in my noise maker, and then his cell phone went off! I really felt bad for the poor guy and at least he had his badge on!

Will you start a thread about perimeter alarms, please? Help us to know what is helpful.

I have used this buck for skinning for over 40 years

The tip has been reshaped It cuts both sides now
image.jpg

Fabulous definition!
I was actually kinda worried someone would jump me for stating the obvious. 😏

That happened a couple days ago on another forum when I made what I thought was a good and informative post. And.... someone picked out one sentence and was 'smart' about me stating the obvious. gaah

Latest posts

Back