I lost an old friend today....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Internet Constable
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
i woke up this morning to one of those dreaded phone calls.

My friend's daughter Megan called me this morning to say her dad, Rick Simon, passed away last night from a massive heart attack. Rick lived across from me when I was 2 years old. His mom would sit us in front of the TV to watch "Sheriff John" every day at lunch time. We would play the red light, green light game with milk, and of course, the Maggio Carrots commercials had us wanting to eat more carrots.

At 16 years of age, he started tinkering with window tinting, and I was his helper. Those days, they did not have commercial film, and we had to buy a "flow machine" which drizzled paint tint on the windows of cars, and with any luck, no flies would ruin your work, and the customer had great tinted windows.

He continued for the next 55 years and became one of California's leading window tinting companies, Ideal Glass Tinting. New car manufacturers would hire him to fly around the world, to very exotic islands, where he would tint all the windows in a car, for a 30 second commercial, so you could not see who the driver was, therefore not having to pay royalties to the actor inside the car.

This goes without saying that he was the Best Man at my wedding, and I was of course, his Best Man at his wedding.

One tradition we had for 60 years was to call each other on our respective birthdays. Him being 3 months older than me, I would ask how it was being that age, and to give me a glimpse at how I would feel once I got a year older.

This is something that I will miss the most.

Rest in peace and Godspeed, My Friend
20160304_151857_resized.jpg

Prayers brother.

Losing friends like that is super tough and you have my sympathies. You're in my thoughts.

My friend's daughter Megan called me this morning to say her dad, Rick Simon, passed away last night from a massive heart attack. Rick lived across from me when I was 2 years old. His mom would sit us in front of the TV to watch "Sheriff John" every day at lunch time. We would play the red light, green light game with milk, and of course, the Maggio Carrots commercials had us wanting to eat more carrots.

At 16 years of age, he started tinkering with window tinting, and I was his helper. Those days, they did not have commercial film, and we had to buy a "flow machine" which drizzled paint tint on the windows of cars, and with any luck, no flies would ruin your work, and the customer had great tinted windows.

He continued for the next 55 years and became one of California's leading window tinting companies, Ideal Glass Tinting. New car manufacturers would hire him to fly around the world, to very exotic islands, where he would tint all the windows in a car, for a 30 second commercial, so you could not see who the driver was, therefore not having to pay royalties to the actor inside the car.

This goes without saying that he was the Best Man at my wedding, and I was of course, his Best Man at his wedding.

One tradition we had for 60 years was to call each other on our respective birthdays. Him being 3 months older than me, I would ask how it was being that age, and to give me a glimpse at how I would feel once I got a year older.

Rest in peace and Godspeed, My FriendView attachment 122008
It's so sad to lose the people we grew up with. Your line about the "Maggio Carrots" hit me: My grand-father was a tractor foreman for Joe Maggio and we ate a lot of carrots. I guess that hardest part of growing older is there are fewer and fewer of us who remember the "good old times".

I have been the only one to put a heart smiley face on your post, and feel the need to explain myself, in case it's lost in translation.
I am very, very sorry for your loss, but I loved the fact you had a true friend for the course of your life.
Such great memories; you were a lucky man. May your friend rest in peace.

Rest in peace and Godspeed, My FriendView attachment 122008
Oh Man, that's a tough one there, my condolences to you and the family.

Latest posts

Back