I maybe moving.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlash

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My wife and I are contemplating moving.
We may have to sell the house to settle the estate.
If we do sell neither one of us see any reason to live where we do now.
In fact we would both like to get out of Washington state.
We need to move someplace where the weather isn't as bad for my wife's arthritis.
I have been looking at Arizona. Maybe towards Flagstaff?
There are places we would never move to like anywhere on the West coast or back to the snow belt.
Anyone have any suggestions?
We will bring our conservative attitude with us so don't say "not here we don't want any more left wing liberals.":)

Snowbirds move to FL for a reason, getting out of the snowbelt. Snow birds are what we call yankees who retire and move south.

South of TN the winters are mild, southern parts of ga, al, ms, la, tx are very mild. Do you like flat land or hills? Hills, southern ozarks and the lower end of the appalachia are good. Anywhere on the coastal plain is flat, it runs from tx, across the south to FL then up the east coast.

Medical care a concern? Birmingham is excellent yet you can live rural and be 30min away. Atlanta? forget that hell hole, a big sprawling mess. I'd avoid any large population center.

Depends on weather, rural living, hills or flat land. Dealers choice and conservatives are welcome in the south.

We need to move someplace where the weather isn't as bad for my wife's arthritis.
We will bring our conservative attitude with us so don't say "not here we don't want any more left wing liberals.":)
You like crabs, shrimp, and red-snapper? We got lots, and basically the same weather as Florida, but a much lower cost-of-living.:D

Last edited:
TN is a great place to live, spent 3yrs there. But its a lot colder than south of the TN river in Bama.

Glad @Supervisor42 mentioned fishing. You like to fish don't you, seems you've posted about fishing. You can fish year round in the south, don't need a shack on a frozen lake.

If I were moving... south louisiana or mississippi would be my choice just for the seafood. But I like hill country so I'll be staying here.

TN is a great place to live, spent 3yrs there. But its a lot colder than south of the TN river in Bama.

Glad @Supervisor42 mentioned fishing. You like to fish don't you, seems you've posted about fishing. You can fish year round in the south, don't need a shack on a frozen lake.

If I were moving... south louisiana or mississippi would be my choice just for the seafood. But I like hill country so I'll be staying here.
...And we don't be pullin' up no little fish either! :D
redfish-charters.jpg

If you're gonna fish, heck, make it worth your time! :thumbs:

Last edited:
You'll probably pick a conservative area. Once people figure out that you're conservative they will probably warm up to you. If you have any trouble when you get there try an NRA or Trump sticker and see if that helps.

How cold is too cold? There are a lot of retirees who move to Oklahoma and Southern Missouri around Springfield. They get 4 seasons there, and night time winter Temps are often below freezing but above freezing during the day. If I go south when I retire, that's where I'm looking to go. It's an easy day's drive back to my beloved Iowa, but there's no " -14° for 4 days straight and 6 foot tall windblown snowdrifts" kind of weather...

...We need to move someplace where the weather isn't as bad for my wife's arthritis.

Yah, Flagstaff.. Mmm.. So, how would you feel about 90's - 115° (and that's the Extreme - usually it'll be about 95-105°, which is Quite tolerable, given the Very low humidity, here) for about 3-4 months each year, Tops - then for the other 8-9 months, it's 45s / 55° at night, 65 - 80s, Nice and Sunny Days :cool:

Worst "Cold" we've seen this Winter was ~35 for a few nights.. No snow, no frost, occasional Rain showers / T-Storm.. Lots of great Lakes to explore, Solid Conservative / Family Values, Very few 'Zommies'.. (and even those that are Here, 'know their place' / keep to themselves..) Housing is booming, and Reasonable.

..'Fact, 3 br / 2 bath Condo next to us, back up to a wonderful Canal / trail-head.. $175K. :cool: Minutes to plentiful shopping / Home Depot / Lowes / Lumber / Mech-yards, etc, and Plenty of wholesome 'stuff to do'. Awesome, Free, wide-open Ranges, where you can shoot whatever you please (..and I do mean Whatever.. Responsibly, of course.. :) from 50 out to 1K yds or better. TONS of Great and really-cool 'Old West History' down here.. (SW AZ)

Worth an 'exploratory Visit'? 🤔 Shoot me a message, if interested in more details, a nice Visit Dinner is extended, on Us. :cool:

jd

Last edited:
Flag gets cold in the winter too, up there at 7000' elevation. I'd recommend living in the boondocks of the high desert, anything over 4000' elevation is nice, and not too hot in the summer. This area will see triple digit temperatures, but it cools off fast in the late afternoon and evening... occasional snow in winter, but not enough to make any great difference. In political terms, the cities of AZ and NM are blue, but the boondocks are generally red... heaps of conservatives out here, which is just the way I like it. Joel Skousen has some good recommendations in his book STRATEGIC RELOCATION, maybe I can snap some pics from the book once you narrow down your search. Lots of retirees move to the Southwest for the weather, the smart ones gravitate toward the boondocks instead of the cities, lol. :cool:

P.S. The White Mountains of AZ are nice, if elevation is not a concern... I lived in Show Low for two years and loved it, nice conservative area and good quality of life. There's a hospital in Show Low too, along with some clinics, if that's a concern. Sometimes I wish I were back in Show Low, the trail riding is amazing there, with heaps of wildlife... but I have some pretty good trail riding here too, up in the Sacramento Mountains which tower above my home. :rolleyes:

IMG_8637.JPG

IMG_8638.JPG

There are places we would never move to like anywhere on the West coast or back to the snow belt.
I put a sad face to be selfish because you’d be decreasing the number of us in this crazy state. However, I really would be happy for you- especially since we’d like out of this state also 😍

Don't move to Florida , it is super hot and humid. If you have never lived there, you can't even imagine. You walk outside of the air conditioned building and the wall of heat just hits you and sucks all energy out of you. If you do move there and regret it I will say ITYS :)

During my 'trucking daze' I found the winter months to be ideal in those Gulf Coast States... weather was nice, not much humidity that you could feel with the lower temps. Summers were brutal though, too darned hot & humid! If I lived in FL at all, it'd probably be in the Panhandle, somewhere over there between Pensacola & Panama City... I went through there during the milder winter months and it was really nice. :rolleyes:

start off with some praying to ask for the right place for you guys to livce. then check aquafir, any past or cuttent toxic locations-dumps, climate temp range and always---always test the water before buying the place.
best of luck to you.

All good information. Thanks
I know the southern states can get hot and humid and I'm no fan of that.
If Oregon politics weren't worse than Washington that would be on my list. Some where close to the ocean.
At this point it's all up in the air about what and when we'll be able to do anything.

If Oregon politics weren't worse than Washington that would be on my list. Some where close to the ocean.
At this point it's all up in the air about what and when we'll be able to do anything.
It's not as bad as you think, because everybody has a couple months to acclimate to it as the temps slowly ramp up.
You will be outside in 93° with 90% humidity and never break a sweat (liquid cooling required)
62288-Toast.gif
...However, if you fly in from the frozen north, when you get off the plane, you will melt faster than a snowflake (pun) :oops:.

If you're going somewhere warm and close to the ocean, without craziness... you're probably going to Belize... :thumbs:

If you're going somewhere warm and close to the ocean, without craziness... you're probably going to Belize... :thumbs:
Been there, loved it! Just checked, I can't believe I didn't get the dang t-shirt
81066-brickwall100.gif
Edit:
Acquiring Belizean Citizenship
U.S. citizens can become citizens of Belize. The waiting period varies; for those married to a Belizean citizen it is normally 1 year of residency, and for others it is normally 5 years of residency. The government of the United States does not encourage dual citizenship, but it also does not prohibit that status and will not require you to renounce your U.S. citizenship unless you want to take a high government office or become an officer in the Belizean military forces.

Last edited:
Has your wife asked her doctor about a good climate for her arthritis? Many people move to Southern Arizona where the warm, dry climate is good for arthritis. I do not know if Flagstaff would be helpful. You might want to see what the doctor says.

Those areas of the Southwest dependent upon Colorado River water will be seeing hard times... those on wells like the ones we have here in the endorheic Tularosa Basin have their own aquifer and independent water supply. If I ever go back to Arizona, it'll probably be to the White Mountains, where enough snowfall ensures a decent local water supply. :rolleyes:

Welcome to Texas!

Prescott, Az is the perfect spot for me.

Actually all of these places are on my list to check out.
Idaho because it's closer to family and we like that state.
Belize has always interested me. Might be time to actually go there and see it for myself.
My son would like it because he would get to keep all my guns.

We live in North Texas. Our son lived in Florida we visited several times. We hated the weather. If I ever leave here I am going to Ozarks. Land and house prices are high here. Our son lives in Portugal now and loves it there. He and his wife are much more adventurous than we are. I like small town life. We live on the lake in a small house and love it.

We got out of washington 25 years ago and aint never going back. By all means go visit places you are considering. I have a criteria about places...how many bui.dings or homes have steel bars over the windows and doors.
By all means, visit everyplace you think about!

Bars on the windows reminds of when we had a new hire from Puerto Rico come in. She shared my office, I got to "show her the ropes". The first question she asked was who to call to get bars for their windows? I did a great impression of "deer in the headlights/spotlighted coon" and said "Huh?" it was an interesting learning experience for both of us.

Another vote for Tennessee.
The winters here really ain’t all that bad it gets a lil cold but don’t last long. Generally we do have four seasons all tho spring and fall can be short. Constitutional carry. Long growing season for gardens and plenty of opportunities for hunting and fishing What’s not to like ?
Also like anywhere else just steer clear of big cities

Latest posts

Back