I Remember When . . .

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember these, do you?
playground-merrygoround-grass-600nw-13344022.jpg

We had fun on them as kids. :D
Funny story:
It wasn't until I was in college that I learned how to "Turbo" one:oops:.
We bored students that lived in the dormitory would go to the playground in the state park late at night to drink beer and smoke dope.
We were all taking the physics course, which was key.
We grown-up kids could spin that merry go round really fast.
And then one of us physics students, (coulda been me:rolleyes:) spoke up and said: "if everybody moves half way to the center, the RPM will double, and if we move half the way closer, it will double again":oops:.
The fun:
1. Last one that didn't make it to the center, gets slung off, tumbling thru the grass.🤣
2. If you did make it to the center, as fast as it was spinning, whether you were drinking or smoking, you couldn't stand up when you got off:LOL:.

If you look at merry go rounds today, you will see that they had to redesign them so the top bars no longer go straight to the center, but down to the floor instead.
Not fun:
View attachment 128040
Still see these in my area. Love small town America!

We made stilts, push down hill carts that were steered with binder twine pull ropes by the driver. Cats cradle. Pushing a hoop around the yard with a stick. Horse apple fights. Cowpies were off limits
We also played “Annie over” by throwing a ball over the house and “tether jug”. We put some rocks in a milk jug, added a piece of rope and tied it up so we could play “tether ball “.

A 7 up popsicle or a bomb pop from the ice cream man was 20 cents.
I haven't seen an ice cream man in years. Not sure if I'd trust them if I saw one. Ha.
We have them but I’ve only bought ice cream for my students from the Schwann man after we did a big cleanup in front of the school one Friday afternoon. I’ve never purchased from the special ice cream truck that drives around. We also have Hispanic men who push carts with odd (at least to me) flavored popsicles.

We have them but I’ve only bought ice cream for my students from the Schwann man after we did a big cleanup in front of the school one Friday afternoon. I’ve never purchased from the special ice cream truck that drives around. We also have Hispanic men who push carts with odd (at least to me) flavored popsicles.
We have those in town.
They sell flavors just like they got in Mexico.
We still have an ice cram truck that makes the rounds in the Summer.
My wife loves it. They sell Maple Nut ice cream.

I remember the one thing on the playground called a rocket. 😭
Antwars. 1 a.m. Monday mornings. Go to bed.
Light traffic on big highways.
When I was 6 and ran .9 of a mile across a highway to catch up to my OLDER brothers and sisters on bikes. Thought I was going to die (likely dehydrated).
I remember when it was safe to go across the road and down into the swampy woods by myself when I was 8.
We really did stay outside all day and play until it was nearly dark in the summer.
Did you ever stand in a line of kids while one on either end touched the electric fence in the cow area (lower level of the barn where the cows came to)? that was fun.

Latest posts

Back