I Remember When . . .

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember gas wars, and the "Downingtown Farmers Market" always won. Downingtown, PA.

From one second after midnight till 1:am (for one full hour) it was 9.9cents per gallon.

I remember something few of you would.

The "Ragman" came for any old cloth. Think old rag coats, pants, towels. He paid a small amount. He had an old open flatbed truck with sides on the bed.

Also, the scrap iron/steel man would come around, ask what scrap metal you had to sell.

This was after the war. Speaking of war, I remember rationing, or not available because of the war. New tires did not exist.

You signaled a turn with your vehicle (or a full stop) by sticking your arm out the window.

what a wonderful thread.

i remember walking home from school each day, doing my homewaork as fast as i could so i could go outside with my bike and meet up with my friends staying outside til dusk when mom rand the bell on the front porch to let us know time to come home for dinner.

getting a weekly allowend of 25 cents and thinking that was a great deal cause i could ride my bike to the closest gas sation on the weekend and buy a soda for 15 cents and still can buy a pack of gum.

and the milk man who came out to our rural suburb to deliver milkm, cottage cheese and or butter. putting it in the insulated metal box on the porch. it was my job on tuesdays when i got home from school to check the boc and bring it in.

We had an apple machine at school.
Ice cold apples were .05 and they would core them for you.
I worked the coring plunger so I got a free apple every day.
The teacher knew that was the only way I would ever get an apple.
That was in 1959 I think.
TV came on at 3PM and the first show was As The World Turns.
All the neighbor women would gather with curlers in their hair to watch TV, smoke, and drink coffee till it was time for their husbands to get home.
Every kid had better be out of the house when that started.
TV went off at 11PM with the National Anthem and the Indian test pattern was on till the next afternoon.
If you car had a radio it was AM only and manual shift.
My son and DIL still get milk delivered.

A 7 up popsicle or a bomb pop from the ice cream man was 20 cents.
I haven't seen an ice cream man in years. Not sure if I'd trust them if I saw one. Ha.
Oh remember those long john pushups? They weren’t even like real icecream.

@Sourdough I’ve heard of the ragman, but no I don’t remember it.

We had an apple machine at school.
Ice cold apples were .05 and they would core them for you.
I worked the coring plunger so I got a free apple every day.
The teacher knew that was the only way I would ever get an apple.
That was in 1959 I think.
TV came on at 3PM and the first show was As The World Turns.
All the neighbor women would gather with curlers in their hair to watch TV, smoke, and drink coffee till it was time for their husbands to get home.
Every kid had better be out of the house when that started.
TV went off at 11PM with the National Anthem and the Indian test pattern was on till the next afternoon.
If you car had a radio it was AM only and manual shift.
My son and DIL still get milk delivered.
You forgot the best part. When the tv 📺 went off, it said, “It’s 11 o:clock. Do you know where your children are?” We thought it was so funny to say No I’m only 8. I don’t have children 😂. Not that we were allowed to stay up that late more than a handful of times.
Oh oh oh and you had to actually get up off your rump to change the channel.

I grew up in a cabbage patch. I never saw or experienced a single one of all those things. I still don't know what some of them are.

I remember getting the crank telephone when I was around 16. I also remember having to peel the logging truck load of trees that my dad had to donate and install to get the telephone line put in.

i remember going to the county courthouse to collect my great grandparents out of the lobby.
Great grandpa B would be on one side of the lobby talking politics with the other gentlemen.
While the ladies and great grandma B were sitting in rocking chairs on the other side of the lobby. working on needlework, knitting gossiping about them young people.

I remember 10 cent refund gas, Real ice boxes and the ice wagon. The first wringer washer we ever had and later on "The Rich Plan" carrier freezer that they serviced twice a month I always got frozen strawberries to cut a chunk off of every couple of days.

Going to school and fighting getting whipped at school and getting it again at home then fighting the same person the next day because of getting whipped.

Being down under the levee and riding my bike, most of the time the side gates were stuck open with some trash.

Having a two speed automatic rear in the bike and a Stewart Warner speedometer on it bought with paper route money.

Same for a Daisy Spitting Image BB gun cost almost as much as a 22 single shot.

AND the 6 cent cokes. 25 cent movies and Dime Blue Circle hamburgers.

1711423258221.png

OH AND REAL GAS PUMPS with the globe on the top and a lever on the side in rural areas the glass had a mark for each gallon and you counted the pumps and watched the glass always did a full stroke and it was the right amount. Emptied the globe and shut it off.

Last edited:
Regular gas was 95 octane, Hi Test was 100 octane, and Sunoco Blue was 101 octane.
And the highest price was 31 cents per gallon.

I paid $300 for my 1956 Chevy Belair two door sedan, V-8, three speed with overdrive.
I sold it for $100 when I went to Vietnam.

The big green dinosaur at the gas station.
The stories about the guvmint when I was 5 and younger... They said there was a hideaway place in the mountains close enough for the president to hide out in an emergency. It was 45 minutes from our place. There was another place that was 10 minutes from our place where the f b i "vacationed." There was another place back on top of the mountain...we weren't allowed to talk about that but one day helicopters landed in the back cornfield and mom, dad, and I watched with binoculars in our wooded backyard.
If I don't see yall tomorrow, it's been nice knowing you. :good luck:

Back