I Remember When . . .

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when every elevator had an "elevator-operator" :oops::
1*pR3Dze2f24wtBgPTVy6Fmw.jpeg

...And the 'door' they closed, looked like a bunch of scissors :oops::
_LR-2640.jpg

Last edited:
I remember segregation public toilets you had to put a dime in the lock on the stall door to gain access. The door said Whites Only.

I remember when we got clothes washing machine. It was gasoline powered. My mother was pregnant and could not start the pull rope engine. I got that job.

The milkman coming to our house in a yellow box van with green and white graphics. Twin Pines Dairy. If we weren't home he'd leave the milk in an insulated box attached to the porch rail and cover it with ice.
We got milk at the door in Colorado 2001 - 2005. Local dairy. Best milk ever.

What I remember:
*coke from the machine for a nickel (6 oz)

*penny candy.

*full service at gasoline stations and they checked the oil and washed windows

*women wore gloves and hats

I remember something few of you would.

The "Ragman" came for any old cloth. Think old rag coats, pants, towels. He paid a small amount. He had an old open flatbed truck with sides on the bed.

Also, the scrap iron/steel man would come around, ask what scrap metal you had to sell.

This was after the war. Speaking of war, I remember rationing, or not available because of the war. New tires did not exist.
I read somewhere that those rags were used to make asphalt shingles.

I remember when we got clothes washing machine. It was gasoline powered. My mother was pregnant and could not start the pull rope engine. I got that job.
There is a appliance and mower store in Grants Pass that's had a Maytag gasoline powered washing machine on display, it's in new condition, someone took very good care of it all those years.

I Remember when if you fought the cops they beat you down and YOU were the bad guy not them.

You went in the store and candy was in jars nobody watched and not a piece went unpaid for.

Everybody went to the Drug Store Soda fountain and got a burger hot dog Milk Shake fries and waited till the Guy you knew was working to buy needed items for any thing you weren't supposed to do like buying a magazine.

When Elvis did local High School Gym or auditorium appearances and had a cabin at the end of the road we used to park by at the water of Bear Creek.

Haines Electric bought it years later, I have no idea who owns it now since Arnie Haines moved to Imboden, Arkansas.

Last edited:
I remember the Milk Man and the Bread Man making deliveries every week. We had a metal milk box on the porch where you put your empty bottles, and the Milk Man would bring a new supply.

When I started driving, gas was .18 cents a gallon, and the gas stations always had promotions: free drinking glasses, free sunglasses, and by the way there was an attendent who pumped the gas, washed the windshield, and checked the oil. Patch, I believe the big green dinosaur was Sinclair Gas. Wasn't it called Dino ?

I remember boys on street corners selling newspapers, and I was one of them.

Last edited:
How about a gas station where you could get gas, beer, cheeseburgers, guns and ammo.
Being 14 years old and buying 22LR and 12 gauge ammo at the 7-11.
And actually owning and having complete possession of those weapons.
My Dad would be arrested for that today.

I remember when young people had manners
I remember when boys open the doors for people.
Whether they knew them or not.
I remember getting to go to town Saturday was a huge deal.
Allowances were 25-50 cents.
You would ponder standing at the general store glass jar candy aisle to make your purchases.
And you graciously waited your turn.
Movie was 15 cents but that included ticket, drink, small popcorn.

you guys must be older than me, I don't remember gas ever being cheaper than around .99 cents a gallon
I do remember a pack of cigarettes being .99 cents, for Marlboros. I think they are up to like $10 now

I grew up in a different country so stuff over there was very different from here even in the 80s ( when I moved here)
Never saw an ATM or drive through fast food place until I moved to the US. Never knew cable tv existed, we had 3 public tv channels in the 80s that started around 4 or 5 pm and ended around 1 AM , there were no commercials in any shows, those were limited to about 10 minutes at 8 PM only
never had peanut butter or mangos ( love both very much)
this one made me really mad: drinking age was 21!! No drinking age at the time at all in Germany ( they might have one now, not sure) . It was still like that when my kids were teenagers and thought it was the coolest thing to be able to order a glass of wine in a restaurant
Public toilets cost money, there was no ice in drinks , or if you really insisted on it, you got 1 little ice cube
no air conditioning anywhere, not even in stores

back to the milkman. We had one guy, who had the key to our house, put the fresh milk right into the refrigerator, walk upstairs, where my mom and dad were sleeping, wake him up from a deep sleep, and had him sign the receipt for the delivered milk. 60 years later, I think this guy was just a Peeping Tom.

I remember when my grandparents farm house had a woodcooking stove, water well, kerosene lamps, and an outhouse. I also remember when they got electricity and telephone. The phone's party line was hilarious. You had to listen for your ring tone to answer the phone. I think my grandparents phone ring was two longs and a short.

I had many of the same memories.
Didn't recall seeing it so I'll add:
Riding in the station wagon. Wherever and however you wanted, never a seatbelt. And dear old dad mashing the brakes when we were bad, sending us all flying.
I could parallel park a 1974 Country Squire station wagon, those were the good ole days. 9 passengers :). or more if you liked each other.

I remember when my grandparents farm house had a woodcooking stove, water well, kerosene lamps, and an outhouse. I also remember when they got electricity and telephone. The phone's party line was hilarious. You had to listen for your ring tone to answer the phone. I think my grandparents phone ring was two longs and a short.
Continuing on phones, I remember ours, when you wanted to make a call, you lifted the receiver and somebody on the other end said: "Number please?".
There were 8 people on our "party-line".
...And I still remember our phone number to this day: 721M40. :)
s-l1200.webp

Latest posts

Back