I started a youtube channel about my homestead and the things I do.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Playing around today with my drone, trying to use it to take some medieval archery shots....

Its kinda fun, because I have no idea what I am doing, so I'm still in the fun part of the learning curve.

Figured out that drones are awsome just used as an infinitely variable tripod. You can really rapidly move them around and 'lock' them in a spot, even just a few feet above ground level, much faster than you could set up a tripod.

The downside is.....some kinds of video don't really 'work' without audio. I need to learn how to record audio separately, and then sync it to the drone footage.

Got iMovie and/or Final Cut Pro? 🤔 I should think so, and those'll certainly do it.. Just import clips / adjust-sync on Timeline, and create movie, etc - Cake. :cool:

jd

I have imovie. It's just figuring out how to record what with what.

For instance. Say I'm making a scene where I'm shooting a bow at a target, using the drone to record video....

Where do I want to record audio from? I'm sure this is nothing to people who know what they are doing, but its something I'm trying to figure out.

In one of my previous vidoe's, I used pre-recorded motorcycle engine noise, and played with the audio curves to make is seem like it was coming closer or leaving the camera drone...but for something with 'events' like shooting a bow, I need real audio, but what POV do I choose to record it, when the whole scene is in 'third person' so to speak?

Last edited:
...I need real audio, but what POV ...when the whole scene is in 'third person' so to speak?

Welp.. I should think somewhere 'between' the POV of the Drone-cam, and You, so.. Yer 'out of frame', but the audio is recorded more 'from the direction' of the Vid-recording (the "audiences" perspective), and less from Yours. You could Also - from Yer perspective - use yer iPhone ("Voice Memos" / DL / email, etc, then convert the m4a > mp4, and import into iMovie (depending on which Version ya've got - Most current versions might take m4a's 'directly'? 🤔 TBD for you...)...

Anyhoo, that would glean you a more 'wider' ambient recording, that Might be helpful for parts of the final vid., and... It's Not bad. Here's an example:

..So, that clip was just an iPhone 'Voice Memo' recording, comparing the 'ambient' sound of a 'shushed' 22, vs the 'DC 50' (this puppy:

4471af21c4aaf03504070d5aba95e9e8.jpg
..First two 'pops' were the 22 subs..

..The second, bit louder Pop (~0:24) was That ^^ beast, drilling One of These holes (that final 'smack!' a sec. later..)

SadPan-1.jpg
:cool: ..From about 20 yds or so..

Point being: even the 'low grade' ambient-mic on the iPhone was able pick up that 'pan smack', quite well, from that distance. And a Pro 'shotgun' mic would be even Better..

ie: From the 'third person POV' (nearer to the Drone-cam POV), I would get / set up a 'Mini-shotgun' mic, ie: the Movo: https://www.movophoto.com/collections/microphones/products/vxr10-universal-cardioid-condenser-mic Also, more Movo info here: https://www.amazon.com/Movo-Smartphone-Shotgun-Microphone-Samsung/dp/B077YS5ZV5/ 🤔

(..And sorry, I have a stupid-expensive Sennheiser from years ago, so no need to have gotten a Movo, there - thus, cannot 'personally testify' to it, but.. Know a couple 'Vloggers' who use it / say it's Solid. :cool: ) And just run a min-jack extension line over to yer iPhone, and again, use 'Voice Memos' / the process above, for recording / storage. 👍

Alternatively, sure - get a little Digi-recorder with a mini-jack In (I'm sure they're Plethora, these days..) and lash it all to a... Tripod :) near that 'third-person POV' spot.

Just some ideas, Hope I didn't Totally misunderstand what you were meaning, Lol! 😇

jd

Yeah, that is what I'm talking about. Just trying to figure out how to make it come together. Its interesting how complicated a simple video actually is when you start trying to do anything with separate sound, or more than one camera.

..Its interesting how complicated a simple video actually is when you start trying to do anything with separate sound, or more than one camera.

Brother - lemme tell ya - as someone who has Worked a bit directly in 'Hollymold' (small, specialized SFX shoots for film / tv / internet-mercials, etc) the 'Universe' of professional film / video making is... an Incredibly-complex Science. :cool: Like.. just 'grip' fixtures, alone, leave one in awe of the Brains behind all the 'unique-techniques' needed to get things Done.

...Aside from all the 'morality politics' and "Celebrity" BS - Most of those that work on Films in Hollymold are Amazing People - Creative, Intelligent, fast, adaptive Thinkers, and.. OMG, the *Art Departments* / Model-makers / Sets / 'Matte painting' Artists and Tooling / Fabrication / Carpentry Depts, ie:

Blade-Runner-City-1.jpg
Tyrell-Corp-w-RS.jpg

(..I Know you know what that Is.. :cool: Yah, 'Pre-CGI Hollymold' was.. WOW. If it weren't all such a great big Puddle of Sick.. ;) working in such Dept's was Always my 'Ultimate Dream Job' as a kid (just behind FF and/or Pilot)... but, alas.. it's a great big puddle of Sick, so.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was grateful to have gotten / enjoyed what few 'crumbs' I got to work on.. Pretty fun, here / there - and Incredibly Educational - I must have asked a Million questions, Lol.. Lots of 'one-of-a-kind fixtures' / grip-clamps / specialized jigs, etc, I still use / mod / cop ideas from to this Day, and will definitely have an 'edge' when everything goes to 💩 and we're Living in 'Full-time Camp-life' in the future, Because of seeing / using many of those ideas / Tools. :cool:

Here's one fun 'money shot' from the show Destroy / Build / Destroy... (Edit: not sure what happened with the Pix, there, but...

DBD-Beam-Match.jpg
DBD-Boom.jpg

(..that 'Earth shattering Kaboom' was a LOT bigger than it looks.. It was Quite the concussion.. :cool: Good times.

Anyhoo, not tryina 'upstage yer thread'.. Just illuminating yer point.. :) Back to Yer Channel. 👍

jd

Last edited:
New vid up. Just a short, fun one, mostly me just teaching myself how to handle sound with multiple camera's.

I think it’s been 7 years since I last shot my bow. I need to rectify that, but not when it’s -10 out.

Link for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

I know you haven’t had much snow this winter, but how does that roof do with snow? I’ve been talking about building a large greenhouse for several years, but haven’t done so yet partly because of snow concerns. I have a smaller greenhouse and we take down the cover in the fall before the first snow.

I know you haven’t had much snow this winter, but how does that roof do with snow? I’ve been talking about building a large greenhouse for several years, but haven’t done so yet partly because of snow concerns. I have a smaller greenhouse and we take down the cover in the fall before the first snow.

It's been fine for the five years I've had it up. As you saw in the video, the snow can only build up so far before it falls off. The only place it ever builds up is on the very top and I have a fairly heavy wooden truss running across the top to make sure it the hoops can't buckle.

Cool videos man! I wanna see some more crossbow stuff 😉 your hunt for bacon went well indeed.

The archery video was fun too btw, whatever camera you were using caught the arrows in flight very well. Also, arrows looked at tad underspined- hard to tell via video especially since you could have just been shooting from the left of your target. I say skip all that nonsense and stick to the xbow 😁

Cool stuff though👍👍

Cool videos man! I wanna see some more crossbow stuff 😉 your hunt for bacon went well indeed.

The archery video was fun too btw, whatever camera you were using caught the arrows in flight very well. Also, arrows looked at tad underspined- hard to tell via video especially since you could have just been shooting from the left of your target. I say skip all that nonsense and stick to the xbow 😁

Cool stuff though👍👍

I mostly use the drone for that video, I hovered it just above the target and shot just under it.

I actually had the same thought about the arrows from the video. They seem to shoot fine but they did look underspined in the video. I need to double check, it might just be an artifact of the video.

Arrows are just for fun. My real bows are crossbows.

Oh yeah, I didn't post it, but I put out another video, just a short one:

The REAL video's are all in the future. These are really just me learning how to do it. At some point I will make some full video's on the Tower itself, etc.

Well, maybe its insanity, maybe it's depression, maybe I just got bored....But I'm making an attempt at starting a youtube channel.
It's going to be about.....all the stuff I do. So expect building, cooking, fighting, survivalism, adventures and mostly just trying to make the homestead work. Not every video will be interesting to everyone, or maybe no one.....we will see where this goes....but it will all be about homesteading type stuff, the nuts and bolts of what I do everyday to keep everything working.

First two videos are up. One of them is about improving a Coleman minibike to be more useable. The other one is about making smoked briskit confit, a medieval meat preservation technique. There will be a lot more hopefully, and longer more expansive subject, but I'm starting small and still learning how to edit, etc.

And no, you do not have to endure my voice. These are 'ASMR' style video's, more 'Show, don't tell' style. I don't have the personality for, or even like the kind of video's where someone is just standing infront a green screen preaching at you

That's great. You're an inspiration to me. But, don't feel too special - there's plenty of folks here that inspire me. ;)

Aye, you Did (..and Thank You :cool: ) I just haven’t ‘Found the 6th Digit under the Mattress’ yet ;)

Will keep at it, Though.. MT-life has Always been on my ‘Bucket List’ 👍🏼 For now, AZ will have to do (which Still beats Zommiefornia o_O

jd
Yeah, fair enough. I'd be van-lifing it honestly if my parents hadn't bought land back when it was $1k an acre.

Latest posts

Back