I think the boy needs Jesus

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bro Magus contacted me and axed me to put out the word his modem fried they gave him another and it fried also
So he said he will be out for couple of months

That may explain why his computer keeps frying :rolleyes:...
Sounds like a power distribution issue in his camper. Needs to properly ground the chassis and the fuse box. Drive a 4ft piece of rebar into the ground leaving a foot above ground and use solid copper wire. Use that as the ground point for all circuits.

Last edited:
That may explain why his computer keeps frying :rolleyes:...
I would put my money on the utility box the RV site has for him to hook up to has no ground. RV parks are know to have the copper ground wires cut and sold at the scrap yard

Also check the hot and common are not reversed

When I had a camper I installed one of the power supply test/surge /polarity test units.
All you had to do after purchase and installation was plug in to shore power or genny then wait approximately one minute, iffunz the power supply was okeydokey it would beep loud once and the power would connect.
Just once did it refuse tho let the power flow, naturally the campground said
Oh yea! We have been having trouble with that spot!

Just an FYI. For you home owners
When you buy a new light fixture and the 2 wires are black
Ribbed side is Neutral (to white)

Smooth side is Hot (to black)

Another tip
If you have a light fixture that constantly burns bulbs out
The 2 black wires , mentioned above are backwards

I would put my money on the utility box the RV site has for him to hook up to has no ground. RV parks are know to have the copper ground wires cut and sold at the scrap yard

Also check the hot and common are not reversed
@Magus is back and he needs to read this thread.
If you feed a 110v device 150v, it doesn't last long :(.
A spike/surge suppressor cannot stop that.
A good UPS unit can "throttle it down" and prevent damage.

Last edited:
My routers, modem, and computers live connected to these:

https://a.co/d/8jow35d
I have one almost exactly like that guarding my computer/electronic stuff:
IMG_20240506_114451.jpg

(except it is a 850va and has 2 USB ports)
Great minds think alike! :thumbs:

Last edited:
My routers, modem, and computers live connected to these:

https://a.co/d/8jow35d
Strange business. Sometimes I find strange stuff in my driveway, and I ALWAYS look for the owner so I can return it. Actually, if I ever find something of any value, I try to find the owner and return it. One of these was in my driveway about a year ago,. I tried and tried to find who had had a package stolen or whose it was. I contacted the company who shipped it. No address label on the box. No luck.

Now it is with my electronic stuff. I used it for several months and then it started making weird noises, loud beeps. I kept turning it off and on, letting it rest between off and on, and could never get it to stop.

Strange business. Sometimes I find strange stuff in my driveway, and I ALWAYS look for the owner so I can return it. Actually, if I ever find something of any value, I try to find the owner and return it. One of these was in my driveway about a year ago,. I tried and tried to find who had had a package stolen or whose it was. I contacted the company who shipped it. No address label on the box. No luck.

Now it is with my electronic stuff. I used it for several months and then it started making weird noises, loud beeps. I kept turning it off and on, letting it rest between off and on, and could never get it to stop.
In the words of Troy Landy, "Choot em". Weird stuff in my driveway gets reported to the PD, they can figure it out or deal with it (The county don't care, and I understand) . We used to get all kinds of stuff delivered to the country house, but it has stopped since we got got signs all over with our address on it :(

Amazon mis-delivered all the time, Green Acres has some nice stuff thanks to Amazon :p

Last edited:
@Magus is back and he needs to read this thread.
If you feed a 110v device 150v, it doesn't last long :(.
A spike/surge suppressor cannot stop that.
A good UPS unit can "throttle it down" and prevent damage.
Hey @Magus, if you have a voltmeter, just for fun, measure the voltage where the modem/PC is plugged in and report back.
Inquiring minds want to know :).
From the link above:
Your power is probably not as clean as you think.
It was not uncommon to see a surge every couple months of over 179vac on the 120vac line.
[in Bama] One of the UPS units I had set to chirp when line voltage was over 131vac.
Had to call the power company on 2 occasions to 'crank me down'.
When I got home from work, I could pull up a graph and see within 2 minutes of when it magically went back to 120vac.
Why do they slowly increase your voltage?
Same load, + more volts=more power, =more money.

Latest posts

Back