• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Homesteading & Country Living and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I want to buy a Used or New Tiny Home, Yurt, or RV Trailer in Midwest

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethereal

New Friend
Neighbor
I live in Arkansas with a new property in North Central Arkansas near the Missouri border. I am currently looking into Yurt Kits, Tiny Homes, and RV Trailers either Used or New that would hopefully not be more than $10,000 and preferably much less than that. I have a truck that can tow, so I'm hoping to find something relatively close to Arkansas / Midwest region, but would consider other offers from further away!

Someone I know is living in a vinyl siding shed that has been insulated, flooring put in, nice walls, electric. Being used as a bedroom for now. I think they recently installed a unit for heat and AC. No running water.

If you want something more secure a shipping container might fit the bill. They aren't that expensive. Tons of plans for converting into a home on the internet.

Around here 10, 20 and 40ft containers are common.

Attachments

• 10ft-container-front-bluea.jpg
    10ft-container-front-bluea.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If you want something more secure a shipping container might fit the bill. They aren't that expensive. Tons of plans for converting into a home on the internet.

Around here 10, 20 and 40ft containers are common.
A few years ago you could get a 40ft one for $7K, delivered.
https://offgridworld.com/11-shipping-container-homes-you-can-buy-right-now/
They can be made up pretty nice :) :
cargo-container-home-728x546.jpg.webp

Shipping containers are portable, economical, and can be arranged in countless ways to create the tiny house of your dreams or the ultra-modern multi-family housing unit. They are also highly durable and built to withstand the worst weather conditions.
Edit:
Or small....
affordable-container-home-1080x809.jpg.webp

Last edited:
I live in Arkansas with a new property in North Central Arkansas near the Missouri border. I am currently looking into Yurt Kits, Tiny Homes, and RV Trailers either Used or New that would hopefully not be more than $10,000 and preferably much less than that. I have a truck that can tow, so I'm hoping to find something relatively close to Arkansas / Midwest region, but would consider other offers from further away!
I have one here in Ga I've been planning a move to, but lack of help is hindering me. it has a nice kitchen, no fridge, tons of shelf space and I'm almost done repairing the toilet. It was underwater briefly some time in its past, but in decent shape, the paneling looks like hell and it needs carpet.
Sleeps 2 if you must. $800 and its yours. needs updated propane tanks, I just got done with the wiring. has a very nice but older model AC and holds heat well. DOES NOT LEAK! bring your own road lights. it has none.

Last edited:
What are your property restrictions, zoning and such? RV's of one type or another are easier to get by with in many areas.
Storage containers are expensive where I live and need doors, windows, and insulation at a minimum.
Tiny homes that I have personal knowledge of cost a lot......much much more than a bumper pull trailer.
The wife and I lived in a 23 foot old trailer here in montana for a year that we towed with a half ton pickup.
I have bought several motorhomes for a good price from older people that kept them in good shape but just got too old to use them.

$1500 chevy camper special (I wanted this year so I probably paid too much.... memories) Free camper and the teenager we have been raising is living in it in our driveway with a single portable electric heater and a rental portapotty.

Attachments

• DSC00054.JPG
    DSC00054.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
$1500 chevy camper special (I wanted this year so I probably paid too much.... memories) Free camper and the teenager we have been raising is living in it in our driveway with a single portable electric heater and a rental portapotty.

Bolt the camper on a 20’ trailer.
Now it is lower to the ground with a porch
You

I have seen various campers on trailers parked in the local wal mart as well as out of the way places. A decent trailer is much more expensive than a free camper and we have the jacks for this one so it can be off loaded and the pickup used. A lot harder to unload a camper off a flatbed trailer. Plus in a head to the hills scenario the pickup will get into the back country easier.

I have always been a fan of looking at alternative housing. I think that many people have hit hard times and are also living in RV's, travel trailers, etc. I understand wanting or needing a home or shelter immediately, until you have developed the basics for property. As Amish Heart said, sheds have become a popular alternative for a home. You can buy them on credit, and build them out as you have time and money. Many people have done that. I started a thread about shed homes a few years ago. Not everyone is a fan, but we are all different. A Newer Trend--shed Homes

I have always been a fan of looking at alternative housing. I think that many people have hit hard times and are also living in RV's, travel trailers, etc. I understand wanting or needing a home or shelter immediately, until you have developed the basics for property. As Amish Heart said, sheds have become a popular alternative for a home. You can buy them on credit, and build them out as you have time and money. Many people have done that. I started a thread about shed homes a few years ago. Not everyone is a fan, but we are all different. A Newer Trend--shed Homes
Just read thru some of the old thread. Back then talking about getting out of mortgages and such. Now it has really hit and I think 2023 is going to be magnitudes worse with housing and credit.

We looked at a 10 by 15 shed shell, door and couple of windows, this spring was $8000.

I have seen various campers on trailers parked in the local wal mart as well as out of the way places. A decent trailer is much more expensive than a free camper and we have the jacks for this one so it can be off loaded and the pickup used. A lot harder to unload a camper off a flatbed trailer. Plus in a head to the hills scenario the pickup will get into the back country easier.
I agree! We got an older camper as a SHTF vehicle as well as "starter home" for a prospective homestead a while back. Unfortunately, it had an engine fire before we even finished revamping it. I wish I had gotten a truck & camper because we could have used the truck while remodeling the camper and all the hard work and $ on the camper wouldn't have been lost because of a bum engine...

I have one here in Ga I've been planning a move to, but lack of help is hindering me. it has a nice kitchen, no fridge, tons of shelf space and I'm almost done repairing the toilet. It was underwater briefly some time in its past, but in decent shape, the paneling looks like hell and it needs carpet.
Sleeps 2 if you must. $800 and its yours. needs updated propane tanks, I just got done with the wiring. has a very nice but older model AC and holds heat well. DOES NOT LEAK! bring your own road lights. it has none.

Do you have any pictures, interior / exterior, and more info about what exactly it is?

Yes, I've recently been looking into Tuff Sheds, the cost with install seems less expensive than what I could build myself, with no labor required :) so I'm seriously considering it to start with, that would give me a basis to start from and then later on I could build something larger on my own.

Yes, I've recently been looking into Tuff Sheds, the cost with install seems less expensive than what I could build myself, with no labor required :) so I'm seriously considering it to start with, that would give me a basis to start from and then later on I could build something larger on my own.
There are many YouTube channels that show many variations of sheds built out for homes. It starts out as a shell, but at least shelter. Then the internal framing, electrical, plumbing, insulation, and finishing.

Some folks start with pole barns and improve 'em as Weedygarden has said. Steel buildings too... many counties & states allow these to be used as residences, but ya gotta jump through all the gubmint hoops, get the necessary permits & have inspections done, etc. The idea was a draw for me at one time, but all the gubmint BS kinda soured me on the deal, lol. So be sure to do your homework, unless you're so far out int the boondocks that no gubmint worker will ever show... some zoning allows for just about ANY structure to be built and used as a home, I forget the classifications but you can research zoning laws in your area. Good luck! :cool:

Some folks start with pole barns and improve 'em as Weedygarden has said. Steel buildings too... many counties & states allow these to be used as residences, but ya gotta jump through all the gubmint hoops, get the necessary permits & have inspections done, etc. The idea was a draw for me at one time, but all the gubmint BS kinda soured me on the deal, lol. So be sure to do your homework, unless you're so far out int the boondocks that no gubmint worker will ever show... some zoning allows for just about ANY structure to be built and used as a home, I forget the classifications but you can research zoning laws in your area. Good luck! :cool:
Some cousins in South Dakota had a business that they sold for lots of money, millions. They purchased about 1.000 acres and developed it. They built a very large metal building and built it out with huge bedrooms, one for each of the siblings, who are now all grandparents. The bedrooms each have several beds, for each siblings family. They developed 3 shelter belts, built up a dry creek to now a large pond, well stocked with various fish. The shelter belts provide some shelter for deer and pheasants. Some of the land is leased out to farmers and ranchers for ranging their cattle. Some of the land is planted with food plots for wildlife.
I think this is the ultimate bug out place. Maybe that was part of their idea, but I haven't heard anything about that.

I am lucky enough (or planned ahead for this) that zoning restrictions are nearly non-existent in this area, so I am not worried about the gubbmnt ;) Really great to find so many people with great recommendations, I will certainly stick with this community as things move forward!

Still interested in reasonable options - Yurt Kits, Used Tiny Homes (I could build my own later if I had a place to sleep and work, and cook), RV's seem less useful for my needs currently, since I don't need to travel, more looking for something as an easy starter to begin homesteading, and work from that, and I work online so I do need an indoor space that allows me to use my laptop with electric and wifi, at least for now. Looking forward to off-grid in the future, but I have many ideas mulling around in my head for long-term solutions

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas everyone!!

And a Merry christmas to you.

If you have the property, does it have power or any other utilities on it.

A used camper or trailer is a good deal and not something you need to travel around the country. Park it and start living. If you need power and there isn't any commercial power get a inverter type generator. To work online takes a bit of doing and money usually. We are lucky here in montana with a high speed hookup on our property line.

A lot depends on how much you have to spend and how the supply for certain things will work out this next year.

Agree. I traveled the West in a Pickup with 10.5’ slide in, self-contained camper. It was a beauty too, 1960’s “Space Craft”. 😊

In 4 months we traveled to Bluegrass festivals and spent time in the mountains skiing as well as traveled the left coast. Being able to ‘unload’ the camper was a huge benefit. First, it would save us a parking spot wherever we were. Pull out from under it, lower it down and drive off. When we got back, raise it up and park under it. Having it on a trailer, we would have needed 2 parking spots or an RV spot which would have cost us or been very difficult in many situations.

Maneuverability without a trailer was nice also. We had to get into some spots that thinking back, were tough enough with just a camper. Having a trailer would have made many spots impossible to access. With no trailer, we were just a regular vehicle.

I had it chained to a flatbed so lots of extra storage along the sides. Highly recommend that over a slide in with a regular pickup truck bed. Even just take the bed off, bolt a flatbed to it for a trip then put the regular bed back on, it is only like 8 bolts.

Good luck on your search! I don't have any specific recommendations relevant to where you are about how to find such things, but our family of 6 lives in a 30ft Pacific Yurt entirely off-grid on our homestead, so if you have any questions I can try to answer them. We have lived in our yurt for 3.5 years now and in the links to my blog/Instagram etc in my signature if you want to have a good sticky beak. :)

Out here in Oregon my son and his girlfriend rented a yurt and was told that they would have to cook outside, reason being that whatever the yurt was made of it would absorb cooking vapors and would retain those smells, also perhaps grow molds. Any structure people live in needs good ventilation, I happen to like wood structures the best but I have thought about cargo containers. We have a 40' cargo container for storage, it has an insulated ceiling with 3 vents near the roof on one side and 3 vents near the floor on the other side, there has never been any moisture accumulating inside. I'd certainly take containers into consideration.

Out here in Oregon my son and his girlfriend rented a yurt and was told that they would have to cook outside, reason being that whatever the yurt was made of it would absorb cooking vapors and would retain those smells, also perhaps grow molds. Any structure people live in needs good ventilation, I happen to like wood structures the best but I have thought about cargo containers. We have a 40' cargo container for storage, it has an insulated ceiling with 3 vents near the roof on one side and 3 vents near the floor on the other side, there has never been any moisture accumulating inside. I'd certainly take containers into consideration.
You must be on the dry side of oregon. I lived and worked a little south of portland and everything including the hood of my pickup turned green from the incessant rain. Good place to grow things tho.
If anyone has a cheap source of containers by all means buy a couple for secure storage or a living area in time of great need. Where I am 40 footers are over $6000.
In about three months or so when the weather breaks I am boing to build a simple garage out of wood and wafer board which shouldn't cost more than $2K and will fit a full sized pickup and some storage. With a barrel stove and recycled windows it could be a cozy living space as well.
Our teenager made it thru -40 temps recently in our old motorhome with a catalytic propane heater and a 1500 watt electric heater. the motorhome cost me $500 and a little time tinkering to get it to run.

The weather may be a contributing factor to condensation, it's not a problem for us in our yurt in our sub-tropical climate. But I have heard people who live in very cold climates can struggle in winter. A wood oven and a fan on low to keep the air circulating is fine for us. Regarding cooking smells we haven't had a problem with that either and I cook for our family constantly inside either with the gas oven or the wood oven.

However, there are more traditional yurts that use canvas and felt which I imagine are harder to care for. Our 30ft pacific yurt is an easy home to live in and care for and we have been here for 3.5years.

Latest posts

Back