If you won a million dollars, what would you do?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I suddenly had a million dollars my husband would retire immediately. He is barely 63 waiting to be 64, but it's time for him to retire now.

I would probably help our son in law and daughter in their move from Baltimore to Rochester, NY this summer and I would help our son and wife and daughter move back from Japan next year if any of them needed help. My kids are doing well and don't speak of any financial needs so I would have to figure out whether they need anything or not. I really don't think they need it.

I don't do lottery. I really wouldn't want a load of money dropped on me all of a sudden. We have no needs like that but do want that retirement to come more quickly.

If you won a million dollars, what would you do?​

Interesting question & I would have come up with something good in my younger days. But now I'm pretty set for life & it's not a pie in the sky question. According to doctors I'll probably inherit about $250,000 in the next 6 months (or less if they are right). So what would I do with it? I'd probably spend 10 to 15 thousand on fixing my truck up, but I could do that now. I'd probably put in a metal garage in the back yard, but I could also do that now. Honestly, I remember back when I had no money & money was "real important" & there were lots of things that I wanted. I wish that I could remember the say but it basically said wanting was a driving force but having the stuff wasn't all that important.

First I'd pay off my one debt, the mortgage. Next new to me used tractor and more pull type equipment. A mile of fence and a new house build, that way my kids have something worthwhile when I pass.

Lottery numbers are high but regardless:
If you won a million, what would you do?
I'd look at new windows and siding on my house. Around $50K.
I really have no plans for the rest other than to invest it.
You do realize that the winnings on Tuesday night's lottery was a billion +? OMG!

A million dollars is not really a lot of money now, not like it used to be. It is, but it isn't.

If I had a million, I'd buy land somewhere and develop it to live off grid and to develop it well.
OR: With a million, I'd get a new car, windows restored, wooden floors replaced, kitchen remodeled, bathroom remodeled, front and back porches rebuilt, both with a second story access, and maybe a third story greenhouse. I'd have the garage get a second story addition and a third story greenhouse, a few other projects done.

If it was the billion dollar lottery, I'd buy land in a few places. I'd have homes built or upgraded, complete with off grid power and water. I'd have each place developed with a caretaker's home, good barns, a couple shops, greenhouses, guest cabins, excellent fencing, wells, water such as a big sized pond, large garden, a few ways to power it.
Also, if it was the lottery winnings, I'd provide homes for a few family members.

I think I would buy some land in a relatively remote location, something that would allow me to do a mix of hobby farm/garden with a few animals. What would be nice would be something large enough to have an extra house for the kids.... But the devil is in the details and things are much more expensive than they used to be.

Going to assume i get the full 1 million....i would put it in bank and draw interest off it...currently i can get 5%...i feel sure on that amount i could get more..but just going on 5%...thats $50k a year before taxes..i could live like a king on that.I have no debt sooooo..a bunch of it would be burnt up in gasoline running the forest roads fishing,hunting and hiking daily.

If i was to win the huge lottery worth close to 1 billion...yes i do play when it gets super high and toss a $20 bill down the drain...i would trust fund my family each some and then the bulk i would buy up the largest tracts of land and turn it over to forest service to make national forest lands larger.Or turn it over to state or county for public to have to hunt,fish and hike on.

Blow it all on land very slowly getting best buys i could.

If i was to win the huge lottery worth close to 1 billion...yes i do play when it gets super high and toss a $20 bill down the drain...i would trust fund my family each some and then the bulk i would buy up the largest tracts of land and turn it over to forest service to make national forest lands larger.Or turn it over to state or county for public to have to hunt,fish and hike on.

Blow it all on land very slowly getting best buys i could.
I'm surrounded by over 2.3 million acres of national forest land, and that's not enough? My state is over 62% controlled (owned) by the federal government. State owned is about 24%. You are free to do what you want with your own money, but there's no question that the government already owns way too much land out west.

If I suddenly had a million dollars my husband would retire immediately. He is barely 63 waiting to be 64, but it's time for him to retire now.

I would probably help our son in law and daughter in their move from Baltimore to Rochester, NY this summer and I would help our son and wife and daughter move back from Japan next year if any of them needed help. My kids are doing well and don't speak of any financial needs so I would have to figure out whether they need anything or not. I really don't think they need it.

I don't do lottery. I really wouldn't want a load of money dropped on me all of a sudden. We have no needs like that but do want that retirement to come more quickly.
Hey! I used to live and go to school in Baltimore and now live in Rochester, NY. Give a shout if I can help in any way.

I'd use the million dollars to buy items that hold value - I'd divest of the dollars themselves.

I'm surrounded by over 2.3 million acres of national forest land, and that's not enough? My state is over 62% controlled (owned) by the federal government. State owned is about 24%. You are free to do what you want with your own money, but there's no question that the government already owns way too much land out west.
You and i have had this discussion before....i wont participate because you want to argue your point in area flush with public lands.....its not same as other areas....i dont want just rick folks and elite a-holes owning everything...forest service as a whole owns a tiny portion of lands.

Really 1mil wouldn't buy much land now days, not around here anyway. But it could buy us a small vacation home over on the coast.
2000 acres here i have seen as large as 3000 acres in past.

We need private lands,public land,forested areas and more to be protected forever from development and land that is used for industrial needs like timber lands on rotation cuttings.

Last edited:
Be really quiet about it, Get right off the grid, fix up more of my junk better. give my son a chunk of it.

Hey! I used to live and go to school in Baltimore and now live in Rochester, NY. Give a shout if I can help in any way.

I'd use the million dollars to buy items that hold value - I'd divest of the dollars themselves.
Wow! Small world.

They are looking at houses in Brighton. Is that a good area?

He will be a professor at a university there but I don't yet know the name. We are going to Baltimore for his doctoral graduation from Johns Hopkins in May.

Be pretty quite about it to start with.
Pay off the last of debt which is under $3500.00.
Buy a home, fenced yard so Strawberry could come home to live with me again.
Invest some of it.
Set up trust funds for my grandchildren.
Share some with my two sons.
Donate some of it to organizations I believe in and belong too.
Buy a truck.
I am sure I would invest in metals.

House, land, vehicle. Help my family.
Invest in land and follow the advice of a good friend.
Probably get an accountant. It is said that the best things to do if you win a bunch of money are to get an accountant and or a lawyer, or at least an adviser. Keep it quiet. Some states allow you to remain anonymous with lottery winnings, others don't.
@MoBookworm1957 it is good to hear the dear little Strawberry is still around.
2000 acres here i have seen as large as 3000 acres in past.

We need private lands,public land,forested areas and more to be protected forever from development and land that is used for industrial needs like timber lands on rotation cuttings.
Better the feds to have it than foreigners and gates buying up all of our land, eh?
Putting land in trust, conservation, and helping with preservation.

Better the feds to have it than foreigners and gates buying up all of our land, eh?
Putting land in trust, conservation, and helping with preservation.
Yes and yes...a tribe just recently was able to buy back a large chunk of land..something like 20k or 30k acres with some donations and private financing..get this..land was owned by a private timber company in australia...thats bs.

I seen a 20k acre tract stripped to the dirt in late 80's and then put up for sale.No bidders...the Dutch govt bought it.

What many people dont realize is that much of national forest in east was land from companies that stripped ground bare or mined what they wanted and then folded up and refused to pay taxes on land holdings.Often they gave land to govt over taxes and or in some cases they didnt pay taxes on money they made....forest service is not fool proof but often its proven to be better.One big thing is water shed protection too.

I am for mining and logging but it has to have its limits.I live in coal country but i dont want all the mtns flat topped either.Reclaimed mine lands has been center stage for eastern elk to come roaring back in population as well.The next world record elk will probably come from Kentucky its being said by biologist and hunters.With conservation efforts going on eastern elk herds could rival western herds.Its already larger than many herds now.

Why i believe in this..because look to europe...we are just behind them in crazy laws and restrictions and populations.

Land trusts,state forests,national forests,wildlife management units,county lands and more need to be set up now.

And fix things we have broken and no longer function correctly or at capacity when they started.Mainly dams...more often than not many dams are only a few feet tall and stop fish runs coast to coast.Things are getting better !

Latest posts

Back