If you won a million dollars, what would you do?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With 1 mil after taxes id pay off all debts 1st thing. Set up several accounts for retirement in many areas including PMs. After that, well probably retire and travel some in the US. Big trip would be a month or two in Alaska. Put some funds in a trust for couple of autistic nephews, and one for my niece. Whats left wouldn't be a ton.
A billion. Well all the above, trust would be much larger, and would include 2 more for sis and one SIL.. Then I'd be finding a nice piece of land, build a retirement place, outbuildings, farm equipment for a small operation.
Pie in the sky but it don't hurt to dream a little
When the big lottery ($1B) was going on, I tried to figure out what I would do with the money. I ran out of things to buy, and I still had almost $300M in my pocket. That amount of money is staggering.

When the big lottery ($1B) was going on, I tried to figure out what I would do with the money. I ran out of things to buy, and I still had almost $300M in my pocket. That amount of money is staggering.
It would sure make helping some charities much easier. We have a local food bank near here that helps lots of folks in this entire region.
And travel to all the areas we want to see would be a piece of cake.
But having a small, couple hundred acre self sufficient farm would awesome to retire to

I need at least 5 mil please. there is this small town higher up in the mountains in CO here for sale for 3 mill. kinda looks like something out of gunsmoke---some rich person built it and got bored i guess. it has a couple neat homes, a one road town with hotel-rest, church, stables, lots and lots of stables. no one lives there anymore--its really cool. so i need 3 mil to buy it, 2 more mil to do any repairs and stock it up . ok--how about 10 mill--then i can fix things real nice and fly in some friends and family for one heck of a 4th July bbq.

if Elon is a member here secretly, can i please borrow 10 mill? I’ll pay you back i promise and I’ll even name the town after you.

For me.. Make a Wish would NOT get a dime from me... They have refused a number of youth wishes because they were not ...politically popular...
I did not know that. Happily, after I quit my job, I will have time to evaluate things like that, and I would make it known how much money they were not getting from me.

After I fixed my life, start a commune and invite y'all.
You don't look like this guy, do you? :p

negan-walking-dead1.jpg

Last edited:
If I won a million...I'd wake up, rub my eyes...look at the clock...and go back to sleep...probably after another pee.

So true. It is crazy to even think, but in this day and age $1 million just isn't that much: $50,000 per year for 20 years before taxes. It certainly would make life a lot comfortable, but IMHO not an amount you could retire on, depending on your age.

Take me up to the $100 million range, and now I can start dreaming. 🤔

I'd also buy a lot of really healthy food and a boat that is definitely going to sink.
Horses maybe.
Trips to a few far away places I'd like to travel to, like Japan, Grecian islands, and ancestral lands.
Camera equipment and trips to really dark isolated locations.
A small camper van that I could handle.

If I got a free Million bucks, I'd buy myself a beautiful hilltop house in a really bright "red" state, then transfer all my car registrations to that state, and save a boatload of money avoiding the ridiculously high liberal taxes in the country of Kommiefornia.

I would quit working even though it probably doesnt matter now that im all beat up from the feet up. Then with the free time run a trapline again, best time of my life. I would go sit in the sun and ponder what I'm going to do because I don't have to be here or there or chase money to make payroll and pay suppliers.

It would feel good

Back