I'm becoming my dad ?!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Dad was ten years older than mom. Perhaps that explains why dad knew to do what he did. Many times I observed dad working on a project and mom asking him what he was doing, why he was doing it, or wouldn't it be better to do it this way and dad would ignore her by not answering her questions. "Why is dad being rude to mom?" I would think.

Now that I'm older and married for many years I think I got dad's response figured out. Two reasons why.

1. Men hear questions when it's just a women's tendency to verbalize their thoughts.

2. Providing answers when a women is thinking out loud is like answering a Police Officer's or Prosecutor's questions. The more you answer the more you provided answers can be twisted against you.

Dad solved both of this "issues" by just not acknowledging the question. I caught myself following dad's example this morning.

Two weeks ago I let the wife know that today I have a meeting at 10 O'Clock. I need to get there early to unlock the building and setup tables and chairs. Last week I reminded the wife of my upcoming schedule for the following week.

This Sunday again I reminded the wife I have plans for Tuesday morning. Her response was she has some plants she wants transplanted and will I help her do it? I say yes, let's plan on a afternoon or early evening when it's warmer outside.

This morning (Tuesday) wife states we could translated her plants this morning because she likes the cooler weather. I don't respond ... just like dad. :)

Both of you are not wrong. It's a delicate balance that I often get wrong.

I've never figured out Women if you leave them alone when they plainly tell you "Leave me alone!" You're ignoring them, If you're too attentive, you're hiding something, if you're (Is there such a thing as being too nice to your soulmate?) they dump you for some prick that slaps them around and cheats on them and they refuse to leave them, Play rough, they call the cops and you lose your guns EVEN IF SHE HIT YOU! I'm better off a hermit, don't need the drama at my age.

P.S
I've only hit two women in my life, both were trying to kill me.

At one time when my wife was PO'ed and yelling at me, I would dial her up a notch till she was so mad she wouldn't talk to me.😁 No good thing lasts forever.

This is turning into a spousal rant space. OK.
How about one spouse asking the other a question, and then not listening at all to the answer. Ugh.
Should be the disfunctional marriage thread! Sorry for y'all that are not in good relationships! It's a choice!😉

This thread is why I never married and live with a dog.
Sometimes due to situations, (and troubles I get into), this sometimes sounds like an idea I would consider. I've even thought about building a doghouse for me up on top of our water cistern. Yeah, it does seem like I get into trouble more than I should.

On topic: "I'm becoming my dad"...
Years ago, when I visited my dad, I noticed he kept dental floss wrapped around the container it comes in so it can be used more than once.
I thought: how big of a tightwad do you have to be do this? It's not that expensive.

Today, I do the exact same thing. I blame defective DNA.:(
I found out that when you get older, you floss 10x more than when you were young and it is quicker that way.
I also wear my jeans more than 2 days before swapping them out because I don't do much nowadays. He did that too.

this thread brings up good memories of both my parents, don't get me wrong they could fight, but mostly it was good

Latest posts

Back