In the name of "Green Energy"...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My place was originally off grid. Built in the 70’s, got power in the 90’s. Power in underground from 8 miles away. Biggest issue is 10 miles away, its on a pole.
Not a fan of grid tied solar systems. They pay you pennies and charge you dollars. I have had solar in 2 places. Current place with 2x the system costs me 5 times more after a year for buy back power. I even have some sort of rule, I can’t add batteries back Into my system Even though i have the old generator shed.
My next stage property is not going to have grid tied solar. Too cloudy To be effective.
I will put systems in for shed and outbuilding lighting.

Same here. For the cost of running power lines we can get a very good solar setup. Yes I do want to learn how to do as much as possible without electricity or fuel, and I will be talking to a nearby Amish community to learn how they do it. But in the meantime solar is cheaper up front than grid power, and there is no power bill, and if the grid goes down, we don't go down. I also want a separate power source for the well due to the distance, and will be looking at windmills, which have been used for pumping water for centuries.
I'd like to put up a wind generator too. Over a year period we don't get enough wind to make it worth while, but during winter storms we get a lot of wind. And usually at night. Between November and April we get very little sun. Our solar panels will generally make as much electric as we're using. With the short days though the generator makes up any shortages of power.
Our off grid electric system is 100% automatic. The generator needs periodic maintenance, oil change every 500 hours, and the fuel tank kept full (55 gallon). With my new battery bank, I've added water one time since August. To me, the high priced new age batteries arent worth the hype or the cost.
I'm very happy with our system. It's just like living in town, the wife doesn't have to sacrifice any conveniences to live out here.

I'd like to put up a wind generator too. Over a year period we don't get enough wind to make it worth while, but during winter storms we get a lot of wind. And usually at night. Between November and April we get very little sun. Our solar panels will generally make as much electric as we're using. With the short days though the generator makes up any shortages of power.
Our off grid electric system is 100% automatic. The generator needs periodic maintenance, oil change every 500 hours, and the fuel tank kept full (55 gallon). With my new battery bank, I've added water one time since August. To me, the high priced new age batteries arent worth the hype or the cost.
I'm very happy with our system. It's just like living in town, the wife doesn't have to sacrifice any conveniences to live out here.
" the wife doesn't have to sacrifice any conveniences to live out here." is the reason I 😍

How well would it work when the prevailing winds change? It looks stationary. We get wind from the south at one time of the year and wind from the north at another.

Since half my 2006 installed solar system is down, and I am SOOL with warranties because the company is OoB. This seems like a viable alternative.

Structural breakdown of the fibers in the blades with enough strength in the re-enforcement to keep them hanging in place instead of flying away in pieces and destroying the whole generator system. First time I ever saw it really function like they planned it tho...

1698941796412.png

LA is the worst place to find a charger, even for Teslas. When we go, we charge 40 miles out, drive around, and charge at the same place on the way back.
LA is a place you want to get in and out of anyway.
The place they were showing was a mall in Burbank. Not even much parking. Not a Tesla charger. It’s where everyone else can charge. Tesla charger was not much better down the road.

Been to that one. Those inverters and battery packs in the back aren’t generators. This pic was taken half way through construction.
All those stalls are now covered by solar panels.

Walked through that lot to get some Harris Ranch BBQ. (Mmmmm) Never heard a Diesel generator running.

EW fact check=False

Latest posts

Back