In your "Prepping" you ready for "SANCTIONS Against AMERICA"....???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Have you planned for the impact, on you...?? Assuming it can't happen.....??? Change has shifted into high speed out of the survival of MANY Countries.

I posted on a related item a month or so ago. How many will die when they cut off life sustaining medicines that some with chronic conditions rely on to live? While there are good options today to prep, these options will dry up instantly when this happens.

thats why the survival rate will be much lower than most think.

I posted on a related item a month or so ago. How many will die when they cut off life sustaining medicines that some with chronic conditions rely on to live? While there are good options today to prep, these options will dry up instantly when this happens.
We were discussing this at work the other day. What happens when we are cut off from China and India. That is where most of your generic medication’s are made. There are some that are made in Italy, Isreal, and the USA but there are not many. Even the generic companies, although located in the US, manufacture offshore. We were also discussing The current shortage with ADHD drugs (Adderall, methylphenidate). We feel the ingredients are being funneled to the life-sustaining medication’s. We also came to the conclusion, God help us with the antipsychotics are gone.

Not all medications are over prescribed. Most aren't. Not everyone taking a medication is a sheeple. Most aren't. Shunning recommended medications due to a bias against medical practitioners is pure folly IMHO, but is of course a personal choice.

People dying because of a lack of medications and medical care post-SHTF was a strong theme in the early chapters of the book One Second After. A very good book, BTW.

it is well known over here that medicines including antibiotics are being over prescribed and costing the health service and people who pay for prescriptions a fortune.
people who cannot live without medication and life saving treatments will be the first to die in a post SHTF world.

@Sourdough, I apologize for derailing your thread.

"Sanctions" in the abstract are not something I think can be prepped for. In the recent past, sanctions have included things like "your government officials cannot travel here", or "we will take the yachts away from your rich oligarchs", or "we will not let you manufacture our classified computer chips". Sanctions can be anything, and often are just stupid government posturing things. You have to give a name to a specific sanction - like withholding medication shipments - before it can really be discussed in terms of prepping for it.

"Sanctions" in the abstract are not something I think can be prepped for. In the recent past, sanctions have included things like "your government officials cannot travel here", or "we will take the yachts away from your rich oligarchs", or "we will not let you manufacture our classified computer chips". Sanctions can be anything, and often are just stupid government posturing things. You have to give a name to a specific sanction - like withholding medication shipments - before it can really be discussed in terms of prepping for it.
So, you are aware that America & its "VASSAL" states (NATO) are aspiring to bring Russia to submission.

It is "Currently" totally un-comprehendible that a rapidly growing number of countries might aspire to substantially weaken America. Things are moving high speed currently in the geo-political, geo-economic rebalancing reality.

So, you are aware that America & its "VASSAL" states (NATO) are aspiring to bring Russia to submission.

It is "Currently" totally un-comprehendible that a rapidly growing number of countries might aspire to substantially weaken America. Things are moving high speed currently in the geo-political, geo-economic rebalancing reality.
Yep - simple enough premise.....

1) The world is becoming more polarized into two more aggressively apposed pacts.

2) The biggest (and in many cases sole) supplier of many of the products the USA consumes, are made by the largest nation in the other/opposing pact.

3) People should conduct an analysis of everything they need or routinely consume, identify where it comes from, and assess the potential for that supply to be cut in the short, medium and long term (including potentially, for ever).

4) People should identify the best strategy to reduce risk of stocking out - by elimination of need, substitution, procurement of sufficient stock and commencing a system of stock rotation.

In the last ten years, I have been identifying such products that I consume and buying a lifetime supply of as many of those as I can.

Can you give us an example of how you are personally prepping for this, so we have an idea of what kinds of things you want to be discussed?

@Sourdough, I apologize for derailing your thread.
My "FRIEND" you need never apologize to me for anything, unless you accidently kicked me in the gonads.

And I think your post was a perfect example of probable future problems.

Had a discussion about this (kinda) with the infusion RN at the hospital. The pharmacist brought us the next week's supplies for in home infusion. It included heparin and alcohol end caps. These aren't used at the infusion clinic, and the nurse said it's because they can't get them...wherever they come from it's short supply. She asked how the IV antibiotic came. She said in the last two years, they've switched mixing procedure with the meds because of the plastic supply problem...not sure where the bag of medicine originated from. So now they use the bag of saline (like what hangs off the IV stand), and a glass jar of the IV antibiotic that they draw from. Our stuff at home doesn't have to be mixed, and was filled with pressure into a plastic ball type thing. She said they make do with what they get. And then gave a rant about how we should be making this stuff in our own country. She's not wrong.

@Haertig

There are hundreds and likely thousands of things preppers need to start paying attention to. And calculating the currently foggy ramifications. Example: China imports a lot of beef and other Agriculture products from America, this is motivated by their need to reduce massive currency in U.S. Dollars.

China and much of the world are "CURRENT" in the process of avoiding U.S. Dollar transactions. China has many "NEW" economic trade partners. Soon China will stop buying American beef and will purchase beef from several new partners in SOUTH AMERICA. This will hurt America, and rapidly raise the cost of "ALL" imports from China. At some point China will refuse to sell any products directly to America. China will sell what America desires to Brazil, and Brazil will sell directly to America, at a 23% price increase, plus increased shipping costs.

America is going to experience "WILD" hyper-inflation, as the demand for U.S. Dollars is un-needed. This and hundreds of other rapidly developing world changes will be horrific for American citizens, and European.

The NET-NET-NET-NET results of American and NATO's wild sanctioning of Russia, to bring Russia to her knees, is going to be catastrophic for America and Europe. And we are not talking "decades" here, the speed of what is "ACTUALLY" happening is shocking.

What is coming is far-far beyond 99% of preppers comprehension, especially the speed it will transpire. As I have been preaching for three decades, "Find a place to hide with abundant & redundant water, take lots of food".

I remember talking about "outsourcing" (to other countries) decades ago. Back then, the discussion was mostly about lost American jobs. Next, "outsourcing" widened greatly into what we now call "globalization". This was all supposed to be good. But now, as a result, we actually manufacture very little in America. That is all done elsewhere. Our role was mostly being the brains behind the operation, but we were not the actual operation. Now, things have gotten to the point where this is causing us great potential harm. Sure, our brains come up with great computer stuff that makes our military quite strong (but getting weaker these days). However, having the brains to create some super military weapon computer chip doesn't mean diddly squat if you are dependent on your enemy to manufacture that computer chip for you. Great new drugs that we concoct that third world countries only dream of having? Those are now manufactured in third world countries and shipped back to us. Hmmm. That doesn't sound like the greatest plan to me.

There is no foreseeable way to recovery from this IMHO. But other countries are just as globalized as America. Basically, we're screwed. And they're screwed too. I don't think anybody, ANYBODY, is going to be able to prep their way into surviving this when it all finally comes crashing down. All of us are so dependent on others for our basic needs, no matter how self sufficient we fancy ourselves. The last really self sufficient people on this planet were probably the Neanderthals, and look where they are today. Even during their heyday they only lived into their 30's. I'd hazard a guess that many of us here double that age already.

@Haertig

There are hundreds and likely thousands of things preppers need to start paying attention to. And calculating the currently foggy ramifications. Example: China imports a lot of beef and other Agriculture products from America, this is motivated by their need to reduce massive currency in U.S. Dollars.

China and much of the world are "CURRENT" in the process of avoiding U.S. Dollar transactions. China has many "NEW" economic trade partners. Soon China will stop buying American beef and will purchase beef from several new partners in SOUTH AMERICA. This will hurt America, and rapidly raise the cost of "ALL" imports from China. At some point China will refuse to sell any products directly to America. China will sell what America desires to Brazil, and Brazil will sell directly to America, at a 23% price increase, plus increased shipping costs.

America is going to experience "WILD" hyper-inflation, as the demand for U.S. Dollars is un-needed. This and hundreds of other rapidly developing world changes will be horrific for American citizens, and European.

The NET-NET-NET-NET results of American and NATO's wild sanctioning of Russia, to bring Russia to her knees, is going to be catastrophic for America and Europe. And we are not talking "decades" here, the speed of what is "ACTUALLY" happening is shocking.

What is coming is far-far beyond 99% of preppers comprehension, especially the speed it will transpire. As I have been preaching for three decades, "Find a place to hide with abundant & redundant water, take lots of food".
People need to understand the concept and reality of tipping points.

Someone here posted in the last few days, a loose quote of a few sentences by Ernest Hemingway (in a 1926 novel he wrote):

“How did you go bankrupt?"​

Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.”​

― Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

The same happens to nations in decline.

Anyone with a brain can see that the US has been in the gradual stage for decades..........so when will the sudden stage arrive?

When that decline is also driven by international competition (like with China and Russia), you should expect that those opposing nations will pick the best times to create tipping points that dramatically accelerate decline/collapse of the US.

Last edited:
Here is the world rankings on trade balance by nation:

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/trade_balance_dollars/
China is number one with the largest trade surplus of any nation and the USA is dead last with the biggest trade deficit in the world.

The USA current trade deficit (at about $845 Billion per year), is more than ten times larger than the next worst trade deficit (India) at $74 Billion per year.

People need to understand the concept and reality of tipping points.

Someone here posted in the last few days... “How did you go bankrupt?" Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.” ...

Aye, I think it was 'Neb / Ben' :) and to-second this ^ again - seems to Me to be just about the Most Apt 'metaphor' of the Century..

f41ff0dbe2a7f3106489d534b34db747.jpg
'...Gradually, then suddenly'.. Yep. o_O

..There are hundreds and likely thousands of things preppers need to start paying attention to....

..Indeed, but I've long appreciated this 'Matrix' / Map (was posted 'over yonder', a few years back) that can Help one methodically 'Break down the Elephant':

prepping-matrix-ver-1.jpg

..It's Not intended to be an 'End-All / Be All', but.. a pretty decent starting point / 'diving board' / on-ramp, etc, but.. Also, a good 'check-point' (for Categories of what to cover, at least..) for those of us 'Well along the narrow path'. 🤔

To appreciate better, Right-click and open in a New Tab / zoom in, etc.. and, Better still, DL / Save to yer HD / Library.. :cool:

jd

Aye, I think it was 'Neb / Ben' :) and to-second this ^ again - seems to Me to be just about the Most Apt 'metaphor' of the Century..

f41ff0dbe2a7f3106489d534b34db747.jpg
'...Gradually, then suddenly'.. Yep. o_O

..Indeed, but I've long appreciated this 'Matrix' / Map (was posted 'over yonder', a few years back) that can Help one methodically 'Break down the Elephant':

prepping-matrix-ver-1.jpg

..It's Not intended to be an 'End-All / Be All', but.. a pretty decent starting point / 'diving board' / on-ramp, etc, but.. Also, a good 'check-point' (for Categories of what to cover, at least..) for those of us 'Well along the narrow path'. 🤔

To appreciate better, Right-click and open in a New Tab / zoom in, etc.. and, Better still, DL / Save to yer HD / Library.. :cool:

jd
Yes - that prepping matrix is pretty decent.

When i first saw it and looked at it in detail (several years ago), I spotted a few things that could have been better.

By a few years ago, I realized it is about as good as any single diagram on prepping/survivalism can be.......

But now, I assess that most people who look at it are overwhelmed by the detail and the size of the task to get prepared in all those categories. Like a few others here, I think most people won't even read that flow chart in detail.........it depresses them too much and people don't like being depressed.

They would rather just think of themselves as prepared enough......or is it "better prepared than 90% of folks".

Good lawd!!! :oops:
I'd hate to see the 'real one' that is complete!gaah

That 10% might make ALL the difference, lol... :thumbs:
Yep - being better prepared than 90% of folks doesn't make much difference when >99% of people are unprepared for severe crises.

As I have posted before, people need to set the bar much higher than that and not use unprepared people as their benchmark.

Doing so makes about as much sense as telling us that 75% of their tires are not flat.

There's nothing like a simple, concise, easy to memorize chart like this one to keep us all on track.

To appreciate better, Right-click and open in a New Tab
Displaying that chart would test the limits of a 70 foot movie theater screen (laboriously moved to portrait orientation). And you'd still have to sit in the front row with binoculars to be able to read the text.

We were discussing this at work the other day. What happens when we are cut off from China and India. That is where most of your generic medication’s are made. There are some that are made in Italy, Isreal, and the USA but there are not many. Even the generic companies, although located in the US, manufacture offshore. We were also discussing The current shortage with ADHD drugs (Adderall, methylphenidate). We feel the ingredients are being funneled to the life-sustaining medication’s. We also came to the conclusion, God help us with the antipsychotics are gone.
Since this thread is about sanctions and you mentioned meds, it is true that most generic meds are made in China and India.
But the vast majority of them are to make people more 'comfortable', not required to keep them alive.
I posted in another thread about my 'trick' to stockpile prescription meds. It works. :thumbs:
Most critical 'life-sustaining' meds are required to be made in the U.S.
*disclaimer: Super owns stock in a U.S. pharma company.

Since this thread is about sanctions and you mentioned meds, it is true that most generic meds are made in China and India.
But the vast majority of them are to make people more 'comfortable', not required to keep them alive.
I posted in another thread about my 'trick' to stockpile prescription meds. It works. :thumbs:
Most critical 'life-sustaining' meds are required to be made in the U.S.
*disclaimer: Super owns stock in a U.S. pharma company.
That is true. I'll have to check the Epi-pens on my next scheduled workday. It is the only life-saving med in a retail setting I can think of off the top of my "day off" head. Insulins, too, I'll have to check on them.

Not all medications are over prescribed. Most aren't. Not everyone taking a medication is a sheeple. Most aren't. Shunning recommended medications due to a bias against medical practitioners is pure folly IMHO, but is of course a personal choice.

People dying because of a lack of medications and medical care post-SHTF was a strong theme in the early chapters of the book One Second After. A very good book, BTW.
I cried over daughter and dog

Latest posts

Back