Inbound missile threat warning sent to HI

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you wonder what was different for those people who survived the blasts in Japan and lived for years after? Did they do something different or was it pure fate (or what else) that they survived?

Fat Boy just has his narcissism showing and is trying to prove that he is the best. It may get him killed or imprisoned. We could wipe North Korea off the map if we needed to. He hasn't thought it through, or he would be quiet and work on interacting at a round table.

It was probably fate as far as Hiroshima. In Nagasaki one was on the train and he got on the floor and told others to as well. Those that heeded his advice lived while the others died from the flying glass. Another told the people in his office about his experience and how to survive. He and his office workers sought refuge under and behind desks. Other people in the same building and on different floors died from the flying glass.

Fat Boy, his father, and grandfather have done well threatening the US and playing Russia and China. He has not yet caught to how to deal with Trump.

One of the big problems in Hawaii is the tourists.
There is no way they could be prepared for anything like a nuke strike.
Best they could do is get to the lower levels of their hotels and hope for the best.
I doubt there are very many basements in Hawaii.
Hawaii is one place I would never want to be during a crisis.
You would have very little choice but to depend on the gov.

From Survivalist Blog:

"Oops
Several SurvivalBlog readers sent in this huge mistake: A Civil Defense employee in Hawaii accidentally triggered a ballistic missile warning. The alert was issued by cell phone test yesterday morning and sparked terror as thousands fled to bomb shelters. The employee wasn’t even aware that he has issued the alert til his own phone notified him. It took 38 minutes for a correction to be issued by the same alert system. While many are upset by the alert, considering the world events in the Pacific region right now, this was probably a good thing. At least people now know how poorly prepared they are. Will they pay attention?"

I will bet it that alert goes off again, NOBODY will heed the advice thinking they goofed again. This was a disastrous mistake. My sister lives on the north shore of Oahu, and I called her yesterday. They figured they were toast so they walked down to the beach and toasted their impending annihilation.

Just as a review.
When it says "ballistic missile inbound" you have anywhere from 1-3 minutes depending on from where it comes.

When in the open:
Find a culvert , water drain, open (or openable) manhole, etc.
Chances are it will not explode right above you so getting decent lateral coverage (low in a deep ditch) will give excellent protection in the vast majority of cases.

When in a private home w/o basement: Go to a room in middle of house away from windows, in bathtub and a table on top of that adds significant protection

When in a private home w/ a basement:
Get into basement and in basement get under something like the stairs or a table

When in a large commercial office building and you are close to the parking garage. Get there. Parking garages are very solid and collapse resistant because they are built to withstand heavy weights.
Also the concrete dividers make excellent places to huddle behind and they are designed to resist crashing vehicles (to a point)
If not close enough to a parking garage to make it there in 1 minutes move to the middle of the building. Staircases are generally reinforced and a good place to be. Have a flashlight in your desk to navigate out of the big building when the power is out (which it will be).

Finally remember chances are it will explode too far from you for significant effects, unless its an unusually big one immediate effects will stop being lethal for ppl in buildings even a mere 3 or even 2 miles out.
For smaller ones even 3 miles in the open may be survivable with minor injuries as long as you avoid looking into the fireball.

The real lethal immediate radiation at ground zero will strecth for a few city blocks thats it.

Fallout can travel many miles but several things have to come together for it to reach you.

You cant be too far... you have to be in exactly the right direction.. and the wind speed cant be too slow or too fast to bring it down on you.. so a lot of things have to come together to your disadvantage for fallout to come to your homestead.
When they do stay indoors for 3 days.. this will diminish radiation by a factor of 1000 .. in the vast majority of cases this will be enough to be relatively harmless then.

I am not trying to belittle the power of these awesome weapons.
Just trying to put things in perspective.

I also recommend the book "Nuclear Weapons Effects" by Glassstone (or Glassman) just about everything you will ever need to know is in there about nuclear weapons effects. Nuclear professionals do use this very source for their planning ...(tho not way enough in my opinion...... I seen too many "experts" squawk hollywood style gibberish)

and finally.. short of a great power nuclear exchange... the biggest threat from nuclear weapons is not the chance that they might kill you from their effects... but that they will almost certainly knock out the grid.. and we all know here how big a problem that is.

Here's what I want to know. How many people got that message and though "Crap, we're dead". Then told off their boss, or confessed to their spouse they cheated, or fell off the wagon, or went over to the apartment next door and said "You, me, end of the world sex?". It may not have happened on a large scale, but I bet it happened. It was a while before the all clear message. :p:D:cool:

Well, if this happend where I live, I do have a plan....but I'm still a bit confused on nuke fallout. I know the first thing to do is take shelter and stay put for 3 days putting as many layers between you and the outdoors as possible. I have that covered. However, it's the fallout stuff I don't fully understand. I do have the books, the isostat pills, food/water etc. in place where I would take cover, but I still feel unprepared for such an event. I read up on it a while ago....but it's not easy reading and I have forgotten most of what I read. Where's the cliff notes when you need them?

This may be a blessing in disguise for not only those in Hawaii, but everyone.....especially those who never really considered the possibility that it could happen. Either you learn from it and start getting your ducks in order OR you go back to your sweet life in denial and do nothing. I wonder what those who got the crud scared out of them will do? It'll be interesting to see if the stores on the island run out of supplies this week b/c of people getting prepared for such an event. Somehow I'm thinking that won't happen.

Well, if this happend where I live, I do have a plan....but I'm still a bit confused on nuke fallout. I know the first thing to do is take shelter and stay put for 3 days putting as many layers between you and the outdoors as possible. I have that covered. However, it's the fallout stuff I don't fully understand. I do have the books, the isostat pills, food/water etc. in place where I would take cover, but I still feel unprepared for such an event. I read up on it a while ago....but it's not easy reading and I have forgotten most of what I read. Where's the cliff notes when you need them?

This may be a blessing in disguise for not only those in Hawaii, but everyone.....especially those who never really considered the possibility that it could happen. Either you learn from it and start getting your ducks in order OR you go back to your sweet life in denial and do nothing. I wonder what those who got the crud scared out of them will do? It'll be interesting to see if the stores on the island run out of supplies this week b/c of people getting prepared for such an event. Somehow I'm thinking that won't happen.
I so agree. Some people are never going to be the same, while many will go on with their grasshopper life (Grasshopper and the ant).

There are many reasons that I have never wanted to live in Hawaii, this goes on the list.

1)I know the first thing to do is take shelter and stay put for 3 days putting as many layers between you and the outdoors as possible.
2) Where's the cliff notes when you need them?

1) Thats correct and will work very well in 99% of cases.
2) Ask anything.

So, I'm in Hawaii right now for a conference, and outside of the presentation material, it's been fascinating talking to folks that live here and learning about their reaction to the text message. Folks did not panic like I saw in the news and read online. What's interesting is why. The following is my personal assessment/conclusion based on conversations I had with locals. It is absolutely subjective, and I assume that those I talked to were generally honest.

Generally speaking, those that were educated and/or skilled (white or blue collar jobs) panicked for about 3 minutes and then concluded it was a false alarm. Reasons vary, but include: 1) no corresponding TV/radio coverage, 2) no clearing of aircraft from the skies, 3) no air raid warning sirens activated, 4) no unusual Air Force plane activity, 5) no Navy ships got underway, 6) no Aegis-equipped Navy ships had any activity, 7) no military base FPCON change, etc.

The undesirables of society (prostitutes, drug users, gang members) ignored it and went about their day.

Tourists panicked when they found out. This is likely what supported the narrative that everyone was panicking.

Mainstream locals (non-tourists not already mentioned) had mixed reactions. I get the feeling there was a bit of the hers mentality going on. If everyone stayed calm, the group was calm...but if a couple people freaked out, the crowd got panicky.

Also of interest is the post-event effects. Again, speaking generally, those who panicked were outraged, and those who didn't used it as a good time to re-think their plans.

Last note was that the conference organizers have to do the emergency procedures briefing every day (fire, tornado, flooding, etc.), and they were very explicit when they said that the response to any incoming missile threat, real or otherwise, was to do nothing. We're on a military base, and there's no where to go for protection. If the military folks admit to themselves that there's no protection to be found beyond a few large conference rooms, I'm willing to believe it.

So, I'm in Hawaii right now for a conference, and outside of the presentation material, it's been fascinating talking to folks that live here and learning about their reaction to the text message. Folks did not panic like I saw in the news and read online. What's interesting is why. The following is my personal assessment/conclusion based on conversations I had with locals. It is absolutely subjective, and I assume that those I talked to were generally honest.

Generally speaking, those that were educated and/or skilled (white or blue collar jobs) panicked for about 3 minutes and then concluded it was a false alarm. Reasons vary, but include: 1) no corresponding TV/radio coverage, 2) no clearing of aircraft from the skies, 3) no air raid warning sirens activated, 4) no unusual Air Force plane activity, 5) no Navy ships got underway, 6) no Aegis-equipped Navy ships had any activity, 7) no military base FPCON change, etc.

The undesirables of society (prostitutes, drug users, gang members) ignored it and went about their day.

Tourists panicked when they found out. This is likely what supported the narrative that everyone was panicking.

Mainstream locals (non-tourists not already mentioned) had mixed reactions. I get the feeling there was a bit of the hers mentality going on. If everyone stayed calm, the group was calm...but if a couple people freaked out, the crowd got panicky.

Also of interest is the post-event effects. Again, speaking generally, those who panicked were outraged, and those who didn't used it as a good time to re-think their plans.

Last note was that the conference organizers have to do the emergency procedures briefing every day (fire, tornado, flooding, etc.), and they were very explicit when they said that the response to any incoming missile threat, real or otherwise, was to do nothing. We're on a military base, and there's no where to go for protection. If the military folks admit to themselves that there's no protection to be found beyond a few large conference rooms, I'm willing to believe it.

Thank you for that post. I could see it exactly as you stated. For sure those who are on base would know that there really is nothing that you could really do in 15 to 20 minutes to be safe unless you were already completely prepared which is near impossible.

Somewhere in Hawaii:
hawaii.jpg

Interesting video about the Hawaii missile alert and emergency communications. Reporter was there to do a story on Ham Radio when the alert went out. I did not see a forum on communications so thought I would put this here.

Great video. We should all be Ham Radio set up and regulars. What does is cost to get started? There used to be a tower in my neighborhood, but I can tell it has been deactivated.

You can start off with study materials for the technicians license (VHF radio to radio and local repeater frequencies to around 10 to 20 miles depending on the terrain) but you will need at least a general class license for a greater presence on the HF shortwave frequencies (world-wide communications).

Local radio clubs give the FCC test for around $15. If you pass they submit your paperwork to the FCC which issues you your call-sign and license good for 10 years. There is no fee to renew every 10 years.

ARRL.org has study materials for sale or you could look for online study aids.

Small handheld VHF radios can be had starting at $30 new but the shortwave radios are in the $1,000 range and up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back