Indian Marker Trees

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAC

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
There are a few of these in the woods in the area where I live. Do any of you have any of these near you? They are quickly disappearing as the trees die off.

https://www.txhtc.org/trees/indian-marker-tree/indian-marker-trees/

What is an Indian Marker Tree?
The following article was written by Steve Houser and published in the Neil Sperry e-Gardens news www.neilsperry.com

Historically, living in complete harmony with nature has been a way of life for the American Indian. They relied on Nature for all their needs. Many years ago, traveling from place to place required good navigational skills, directions along the way, and a method to mark common trails. American Indians used trees to not only mark a trail, but also to signal the presence of important features, some of which were critical for survival.

Today, some call these old road signs Indian marker trees. They are known by others as trail trees, thong trees, or culturally modified trees. Years ago, Linda Pelon, one of the first anthropologists researching the subject, taught me the term of Indian marker tree. I will stick with this name.

An Indian marker tree is a tree that was purposely bent over as a sapling and held in a bent position throughout most of its young life. The trees were tied down using a thong of animal hide, which is where the name “thong tree” originated. They were used to guide the American Indians to a source of water, a good place to cross a river, a campsite or other important natural features. To those who could interpret their meaning, they were similar to a life-saving road sign.

Why are most folks not aware that Indian marker trees exist? Many years ago, the American Indians were not fond of explaining all the details regarding their way of life to outsiders. They always saw the need to live within the balance of nature and had a great reverence for all the glorious things that nature provided. They were the ultimate stewards of our natural world, whereas the “white man” only saw endless opportunity. “White man look—but not see.”

Indian marker trees are the living witnesses to the history of a past civilization and their incredible way of life. Indian marker trees are a significant part of this nation’s cultural heritage and a gift to our current society. They provide lessons about our past and lessons yet to be learned; but their life expectancy is limited. This underscores an urgency to study and document as much information as we can about those trees that do exist. A number of suspected Indian marker trees in the DFW area are currently being researched and more details are expected in the future.

A very inspired group of volunteers known as the “Mountain Stewards” have documented literally thousands of Cherokee Indian marker trees in the Southern Appalachian Mountains. They created trail maps, presentations, and completed a soon to be released book on their research. The organization’s president, Donald Wells, is an outstanding source of information and support for our regional research.

Photo-1-Typical-Cherokee-IMT.jpg

This Cherokee marker tree exhibits the typical sharp bend low on the trunk (near the ground) and a second sharp bend upward. Photo courtesy of the Mountain Stewards.

The exact shape and tree species may vary greatly. The purpose for a tree to exist is seldom ever clear in the beginning of our research. How the purpose relates to the shape is the subject of ongoing research.

There may be different shapes for some tribes, and the trees could have been used to mark tribal boundaries, signaling other tribes to stay away – much like “no trespassing” signs.

Picture-2-What-is-an-IMT-Part-1.jpg

Gateway Park Comanche Indian Marker Tree, recognized in 1997. Photo courtesy of Linda Pelon.

Although there is enough documentation on Indian marker trees to more than verify and confirm their existence, skeptics remain.

More info here:
https://www.littlethings.com/native-american-trees/

http://www.greatlakestrailtreesociety.org/trail_tree_gallery.html

Certain I've seen them back east but thought they were bent like that for other reasons, like another tree having pushed against it but long since gone.
I think I know where there is one near me. Might have a photo of it.

Across North Central Texas is the timber region with areas containing trees that are practically ancient. Veering off your topic, there are other areas in Texas where you can hike with others to locations of historic trees. It's been awhile since I looked into that but I think they try to keep the location of these trees on the down low.

This one is on my land. I've seen some say they only used hardwoods so I'm not sure this is one of the Indian marker trees or not. It points to a large boulder field that would have been noted by the native Americans and possibly considered a special place.

Itree2.jpg

In Alaska the Indians would create fire trees. These were hollowed out trees where a signal fire was lit to guide hunters home or to a special place for hunting or fishing. A good fishing hole might be found in the middle of a bay with multiple fire trees. A friend might be guided in to camp late at night. These are all over S.E. Alaska. This is a short but interesting book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/193534708X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a pine? But the bend is down near the ground.
Yes it is a pine. the tree grows out of a hill that slopes downward to the left of the photo. If you notice all the other trees grow to the right or uphill as they should to reach for the sky. Also note how large the base of this pine is. Much larger than the surrounding trees. It is a much older tree than all the others around the area. There is one tree in the article that I posted that shows a tree that the bend is now underground and can not be seen. This tree is a protected tree.

I came across a few of those trees when I was a youngster walking in the Vermont hills. They could have been made by whites though. No Indian tribes native to my area, and those that passed through mostly followed the streams.

@Caribou were they also used for smoking fish? Or was that done differently? That takes many hours though, doesn't it?
:ghostly:
You know what I mean?
Smoking fish is a cooler process than what is possible with a fire tree. A hole is cut into a tree and the fire is built in the back of the hole creating a directional beacon. Over the years the chamber gets larger but the fish would be cooked rather than smoked and dried.

Latest posts

Back