Instant mashed potatoes three years after Best BY date. Yummy

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
So I have been removing (estimated) 6 to 8 months of survival food from my most distant fallback position. Most of the food there is super long term storage. I found about 40 packs of instant potatoes, and wondered if they would taste yucky. They were delicious. No negative physical reactions.

Nice, what brand/ type were they?
For taste I like the Betty Crocker the best, but for survival conditions it requires butter and milk. So in the future I'll be buying IDAHOAN brand Just add water. I like the "Monterey Pepper Jack cheese flavored.

I am working on ways to cook several "INSTANT" foods in the same pot, the quickest possible, to save fuel. Example dump the liquid that come in a can of CUT GREEN BEANS into a measuring cup, then fill to two cup level, pour only liquid in to one quart pot, bring to a boil, drop in the green beans, remove from heat after one minute, and stir in the full envelope of mashed potatoes.
The green beans have high fiber content.

you might get some ideas from backpacking community and especially the ultra light backpacking crowd.

one thing they do is called a ramen bomb...theres tons of variations of this.

for you just bypass the plastic bag and bring all water to boil in large enough pot and dump ingredients in and stir and cover and let sit. i am sure you need to stir it a few times as it goes along.

Last edited:
i have a older 'friend' doing a 200 mile speed hike soon and its semi ultralight....35# pack... so no stove and fuel. he is going to do ramen and instant potatoes in a plastic jar mixed with water in middle of day and eaten cold at bed time or whatever temp it gets from inside his pack.

Hardcore!!! And those aged taters sound good! I have a heap of Idahoan tater flakes stashed away, I like the 'Baby Reds' and the 'Butter & Herb' numbers best. Might have to bust some out tonight... :cool:
wingnut i wasnt sure PJF had talked publicly about the hike but he has put out a public vid on his channel. hes a retired special forces guy and he is 60years old.he is going to do instant cold coffee each morning...woooffff !!....lol....he has done the hard things over the years. so i cant wait to see field reports on this trip.i hope he talks publicly about it .

he is talking about calories,weight etc.

Latest posts

Back