Instant mashed taters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The LDS Bishops Storehouse used to carry a specific kind of instant potatoes. I think they were called potato pearls. They were shelf stable for about 2 years, so I kept mine in the freezer, since I don't eat many potatoes now. You could not tell the difference between them and real potatoes when made according to directions. I haven't been to the storehouse in a while, but the last couple times I was there, they didn't have any in stock. It may have joined the list of items that are no longer available.

Last edited:
In a pot
4 cups water
1 stick butter
2- bullion cubes

Heat to boil
Add
1 can refried beans
2 pre packed mashed tater packs

Stir
Garnish with a large dollop of sour cream and Lipton soup mixed and chilled
I have never heard of this. Sounds interesting. What do you serve it with? The refried beans make me think Mexican food but not sure.

I store and use the Orida instant smashed taters just the pure tater flakes.They store next to forever and don't taste bad.
I once commented to a friend lamenting that what was I gonna do with all my tater flakes if I had no butter or milk.
He said... Dumb A$$ you think them taters came out a the ground with butter and milk in them.

Here's a good Tex-Mex thing.
two cups of instant taters.
1/4 cup of onion.
3 diced Jalapeno peppers.
Half a cup of shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack.
Mix well, place a large glop on one side of a flour tortilla, and lightly brown like a fried pie. feeds six for eight bucks.

I have seen that some gluten free flour mix recipes that call for potato flour. I have seen potato starch which is different than potato flour. Relative to the thread about flour alternatives, I wondered about grinding up potato flakes to make potato flour.

According to the LDS food storage order form, potato flakes have a 30 year shelf life, if properly packaged and stored. https://providentliving.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/providentliving/content/Home-Storage-Center/2023 Home Storage Order Form USA-Revised Milk oz. 03.06.23-Locked.pdf

It would be one thing that I would grind in my second coffee grinder, the one that doesn't get used for grinding coffee beans, but is used for grinding up herbs and other thing. This second grinder is something that I found on a pile of stuff by the side of the road marked "free," and I thought it could have good value.
I once commented to a friend lamenting that what was I gonna do with all my tater flakes if I had no butter or milk.
Yep, butter is right up there with bacon as a desirable food. I wonder how the taste of powdered milk would impact the taste of the potatoes? Boxed milk could be an option.

And then there is ghee in place of butter. In a recent post by Magus that talked about unlimited shelf life, ghee is one of them. You can get it at WM and other stores with food.
"Ghee is a type of clarified butter, originating from the Indian subcontinent. It is commonly used for cooking, as a traditional medicine, and for religious rituals. Wikipedia"

Or use powdered butter. I have some, but haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:
It dawns on me that everything in my recipe could be made from dehydrated food stuffs.
-- --
Bingo... Between this and a basic ..cream of anything.. and ..just add water.. potato soup powders you have a big part of what I had in my ...Just Add Water.. recipes... And most of the dehydrated food stuffs can also be homemade.. As convenient as many purchased freeze dried products can be.. I always kind of flinched at the price and the fact you have to order and have them shipped to you... Always looking for a cheaper, local available, homemade alternative...

As convenient as many purchased freeze dried products can be.. I always kind of flinched at the price and the fact you have to order and have them shipped to you...
I get that, but I try to keep plugging away at a little here and a little there. If I wanted to make a mostly instant potato soup, I would consider using diced canned potatoes in place of the freeze dried ones. I think they are much cheaper that way.

Diced canned potatoes... That was one of my thoughts in that not using an ingredient that could freeze... So in my thinking I would dehydrate the diced potatoes in the counter top dehydrator... Also I presume you could dehydrate frozen diced potatoes... Never tried that.. I could buy dried hash brown potatoes in pint size paper milk cartons... They worked well for J.A.W. mixes...

Diced canned potatoes... That was one of my thoughts in that not using an ingredient that could freeze... So in my thinking I would dehydrate the diced potatoes in the counter top dehydrator... Also I presume you could dehydrate frozen diced potatoes... Never tried that.. I could buy dried hash brown potatoes in pint size paper milk cartons... They worked well for J.A.W. mixes...
I know that you can dehydrate frozen potatoes. Many people buy frozen vegetables and dehydrate them. It definitely increases the cost of the potatoes to purchase them processed either frozen or canned.

Cross posting. I posted this in the alternative flour thread.

Is instant potatoes the same as potato flour?

Potato flour is made from dehydrated ground potatoes, as in instant potatoes. Potato flour holds water — which explains why it is included in many bread recipes: to keep items soft. It also suggests why an old baker's trick is to add instant dry mashed potatoes to the mixture when baking bread. Dec 8, 2015

My folks used to do the "dinner in a can thing" pretty much any dried veggies, some basic seasonings and a couple of bullion cubes and dry can it. 1 quart to a gallon of water was a good rule of thumb.

Cross posting. I posted this in the alternative flour thread.

Is instant potatoes the same as potato flour?

Potato flour is made from dehydrated ground potatoes, as in instant potatoes. Potato flour holds water — which explains why it is included in many bread recipes: to keep items soft. It also suggests why an old baker's trick is to add instant dry mashed potatoes to the mixture when baking bread. Dec 8, 2015
== ==
I'm going to say ...no, not the same... I have seen potato flour in the bulk foods store, but never got around to using any of it... Using it as I think I suspect it is to be properly used.. I did have about a cup of it to mess with a little.. I did use it in a way to thicken a soup or the like I was working on at the time... It didn't seem to make a difference that I could tell..

I suspect this product will take some learning, research, experience to use.. Also deserving its own thread at that time..

A small start...
https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/potato-flour-recipes/

== ==
I'm going to say ...no, not the same... I have seen potato flour in the bulk foods store, but never got around to using any of it... Using it as I think I suspect it is to be properly used.. I did have about a cup of it to mess with a little.. I did use it in a way to thicken a soup or the like I was working on at the time... It didn't seem to make a difference that I could tell..

I suspect this product will take some learning, research, experience to use.. Also deserving its own thread at that time..

A small start...
https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/potato-flour-recipes/
Can you help me know how it is made? My comment came from researching on the internet.

Latest posts

Back