Instant mashed taters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"ChatGPT
Instant mashed potatoes are made by first peeling and cutting potatoes into small pieces. These pieces are then boiled until they are soft. After they are cooked, they are mashed and mixed with butter and milk to create a smooth consistency. Some instant mashed potatoes may also include additional ingredients such as salt, pepper, and other seasonings to add flavor. The mashed potatoes are then dehydrated, which removes the moisture and allows them to be reconstituted quickly. When you are ready to eat the instant mashed potatoes, you just add water or milk and heat them up. So, essentially, yes, instant mashed potatoes are made from dried and then shredded potatoes."

Instant Potato Flakes | honeyville.com​

A case contains 6 #10 cans and weighs 9 pounds. Each can contains 48 servings. One serving size is ¼ cup. Ingredients: Potato Flakes, Dehydrated Potatoes (Potatoes, Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bisulfite, Citric Acid added as a preservative).

@Frodo , thank you for starting this thread.

After all of my food storage plans and goals, I never really had much of a focus on instant potatoes. I do know I have some from the LDS storehouse, but I could have more, many more. Instant potatoes cook up quickly. I should have more than I do for the sake of convenience.

They have a 30 year shelf life if purchased in the cans at the LDS storehouse. BTW, you can order them and have them delivered to your home by the case of 6 cans.

I have had instant potatoes that I purchased in boxes from the grocery store that got bugs in them. I consider that a lesson in how they need to be stored.

Wheat, beans, rice, dried corn, and more all take work, time and fuel. Some ghee, powdered cheese, salt and dried or boxed milk and there could be many quick and easy meals by themselves from instant potato flakes. A little simplistic, but you can add some other canned goods over the top, such as mentioned, beef stew.

How to Make Instant Potatoes Taste Better​

Have everyone thinking you spent a long time peeling, boiling, mashing, and mixing potatoes, when really didn't! Learn how to make instant potatoes taste better: rich, creamy and full of flavor.

Servings: 8
Calories: 324kcal
Author: Julie Clark

Ingredients​

• 8 ounces instant mashed potatoes* (We used 2 4-ounce packages)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • ½ cup melted unsalted butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • ½ cup cream cheese
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions​

• In a medium saucepan bring the milk and broth to a gentle boil and stir continuously while the mixture boils for two minutes.
  • Remove the liquids from heat and pour into a large mixing bowl.
  • Add potato flakes and stir well with a whisk to make sure all flakes are moistened. Let sit for five minutes.
  • Use a hand mixer to mix and fluff potatoes on medium speed for one minute.
  • Add remaining ingredients and mix on medium to medium high until all ingredients are well combined. You can have small lumps, but should not have very many.They should be slightly fluffy and smooth.
  • Garnish with parsley, bacon, cheese, gravy...whatever you choose!

Notes​

*We prefer the Idahoan buttery homestyle brand of instant potatoes. Go by ounces rather than cups to measure the potato flakes.

In the video I say you need a tablespoon of onion powder, but it is a teaspoon. Follow the written recipe.

The calories shown are based on the recipe serving 8, with 1 serving being 1/8 of the recipe. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate. **We are not dietitians and recommend you seek a nutritionist for exact nutritional information.**

Nutrition​

Calories: 324kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 866mg | Potassium: 497mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 733IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 1mg

https://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/mashed-potato-cakes/

Easy Mashed Potato Cakes​

The best way to use up leftover mashed potatoes! Easy, cheesy, fried mashed potato cakes ready in under 30 minutes.

Servings: 9

Ingredients​

• 3 cups mashed potatoes
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1-2 cups all purpose flour
  • vegetable oil

Optional Add Ins:​

• ranch seasoning
  • garlic
  • chopped bacon
  • ham
  • onions
  • diced vegetables

Optional Toppings:​

• sour cream
  • green onions (chopped)

Instructions​

• Place your mashed potatoes, eggs, cheese, and one cup of flour into a large bowl.
  • Stir until WELL combined.
  • Gradually add up to one more cup of flour until the potato mixture become s thick enough to hold their shape on the griddle.
  • Heat a large skillet with about 1/4" oil in the bottom over medium high heat.
  • Once the oil is hot, drop the batter by 3/4 cup full (or smaller if you'd like) into the oil. Use a spoon to spread slightly into a round "pancake".
  • Cook until the pancake is golden brown on one side. Then flip and continue to cook until the patty is golden brown on the second side and cooked through.
  • Place a wire rack on a baking sheet. As you remove the potato cakes, place them on the wire rack so any extra oil drips down and they don't get soggy.
  • Top with sour cream and green onions.
  • Serve immediately.

Notes​

The calories shown are based on the recipe making 9 cakes, with 1 serving being 1 potato pancake. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate. **We are not dietitians and recommend you seek a nutritionist for exact nutritional information.**

Nutrition​

Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 102mg | Potassium: 50mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 216IU | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 1mg

This is just a basic recipe for leftover mashed potato cakes. But what are some variations you could make? Here are a few favorites you can mix into our basic potato pancake batter:

• Pizza: Diced pepperoni, minced garlic and mozzarella cheese.
  • Ham and cheese: Diced ham, shredded swiss (or cheddar) and diced onion.
  • Bacon Ranch: ½ packet of ranch seasoning, chopped bacon, cheddar cheese.
  • Veggie: Diced veggies of all kinds. Use up those bits of veggies in your fridge!
  • Mexican: Leftover taco meat, cheddar cheese, and chopped peppers.
  • Greek: Sun Dried tomatoes and feta cheese.
Comment made:
Oh! I forgot to say that I am experimenting with putting them in a roll like cookie dough to freeze, then cut and fry later!

I use a big glop of mayo. the cracker Barrel used to do the same trick.

Another favorite trick of mine is to saute 1/4 cup each of onion chunks and celery in some chicken broth with a big pinch of sage, add a can of cream of chicken soup, bring to a full boil, and start adding tater flakes until the thickness suits me. IDK what to call it, but its good!

I use a big glop of mayo. the cracker Barrel used to do the same trick.

Another favorite trick of mine is to saute 1/4 cup each of onion chunks and celery in some chicken broth with a big pinch of sage, add a can of cream of chicken soup, bring to a full boil, and start adding tater flakes until the thickness suits me. IDK what to call it, but its good!
.... An idea.... Do this.. Put in a baking dish, sprinkle the top with a cup or more of grated cheese.. Bake until cheese melts....

Latest posts

Back