Instapots, electric pressure cookers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use any 15 psi pressure cooker to can. You just have to take your time and use a few small jars at a time. We now have two pressure cookers and three pressure canners. We only have two outdoor burners for the big pressure canners but we are considering a third. If you are going to use the pressure canners on an open fire be sure to coat the bottoms and sides with soap, it makes them easy to clean the soot off.

I bought one and it does have a pressure canning button. I've not opened it yet, but it looks interesting.
I picked up a magazine cookbook of recipes that give the quick (Pressure) way to cook it, and slow (like crock pot) method of making them.
And they look good.

I bought one and it does have a pressure canning button. I've not opened it yet, but it looks interesting.
I picked up a magazine cookbook of recipes that give the quick (Pressure) way to cook it, and slow (like crock pot) method of making them.
And they look good.

Which one did you get?

This is what I bought yesterday.
20180121_171718.jpg

Then bought this to go with it.

20180121_171749.jpg

My son had one and loves it. But... I already have pressure cookers, yogurt maker, slow cookers. And I can use them all at once. So far, I have no desire for an Instant Pot.

I'm in an apartment, so space is at a premium. But when I was in my house with plenty of storage I too used the individual appliances. But I have to say I'm in love with the Instant Pot.

As to canning. When the Instant Pot first came out the instruction book had directions for canning, but about a year later, I received a notice it wasn't recommended for canning. That is why I only do acidic foods. The reason is in a regular canner, you have more volume around the jars and the pressure reduced more slowly than in the Instant Pot.

I would not even think of canning in my Instant Pot anymore than my pressure cooker. I love the Instant Pot and hope to be using it often during the sunnier part of the year. As our system is tweaked our plan is to get rid of the propane and use the Instant Pot and the Induction stove top for cooking since electric is free for us. Add more batteries and hopefully add maybe an electric roaster if our power will handle it. It is try it and see project. I have enjoyed using the Instant Pot though was intimidated by it at first. Angie, there are a lot of Instant Pot group pages on FB. Some better than others. Enjoy it!

Latest posts

Back