Instrument Case Repair

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
These days a new hardshell guitar case starts at $140. For a quality case it’ll cost over $200 and can go up to $500. My old case is still structurally sound but it’s been to 4 continents, needs some TLC. And they don’t make them like this any more!

I got some crushed velvet (dark green) at a fabric store to use as a liner. Not my choice for a good color but it was better than the other colors they had. I also got contact cement and foam.

The black vinyl material that covers the case is Tolex. I tried using gorilla tape to repair it but it’s not sticking. I should do it right so… I found tolex by the roll in various colors and patterns, can’t go wrong with basic black.

I haven’t ordered the tolex yet because I need thread also. The stitching around the edge of the case lid is worn and missing in spots.

Anyone know what kind of thread is used on instrument cases? Or a thread that would work? It’s heavy duty thread, about the size I’ve seen on leather goods. I have some large upholstery needles but they are cheap and easy to order if I don’t have the right one for the job.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Also the process...

1) rip out the liner and old foam.
2) rip out thread around the case lid
3) repair stitching
4) glue in new foam which I'll have to cut and shape
5) glue in new liner

20230111_094303 Case strt 01.jpg
20230111_094401 Case strt02 .jpg
20230111_100220 Case strt 01.jpg

Stitching...

20230111_100846 Stitch01.jpg

20230111_100852 Stitch01.jpg
20230111_100907 Stitch01.jpg

Only suggestion I know to make that could help. Don't glue in the foam parts. Do the liner without the foam. Cover the foam as is by itself and put velcro on the foam. I think it would come out nicer that way and that is how some of the higher $ ones are done.

Latest posts

Back