Interesting article on long term use of MRE's

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was not in the military so I have never gotten to experience much regarding MRE's or C-ration's. I thought this article was interesting regarding long term use of MRE's. I had never really thought about this aspect of them.

I do like the first sentence of the article postulating MRE might stand for "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians" or "Meals Rejected by the Enemy".

https://www.askaprepper.com/happens-eat-nothing-mres/

Last edited:
In the Red Cross, we use alot of Hot Pack MRE's, with a built in heating pack. They are fantastic! While working in the State of Washington fires in 2015, we had a truckload (22 pallets) of Hot Pack MRE'S, which had an expiration date which were expiring on the next day. I drove to a local Army base and spoke to the commander, offering them, since we are prohibited from handing out expired food. That commander was happier than heck to receive them, because they were way better than the cold MRE's.

'Meals Rejected by Ethiopians'... damn. I've eaten MREs and I reckon they're a cut or two above C-rations, but I'm not sure I'd wanna live off 'em. I remember when the Aarrrrrghmy first started using them, they were a novelty to us in the field so troops were all into 'em, lol. Definitely preferred over the old C-rations... 😒

I have a few, 2 or 3 cases.
That sounds like a reasonable plan, and what they mentioned in the article. Use the MRE's at the start of a disaster so you have good energy and don't have to worry about obtaining food initially. Then as things drag on, switch to a better long term food that is more nutritious. That makes sense to me.

After my time, I was the C-Rat generation.
I’ve heard from younger guys at the VFW that eating them exclusively for a period of time will give you constipation.
That plus they are designed to be high calorie.

I think they have a addition to constipated you. Seems like I heard that at some point. One less thing to deal with during battle. Dont want to get caught with your pants down

I read the article and had to laugh - US Army and “dining facility “??????
WTH?? Complete with linen napkins no doubt.

Latest posts

Back